New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

This thing is going to make a lot of people very happy. Multi-timbral, tons of voices, hands-on control, fun sequencer/arp stuff going on, classic sounds or weirdo sounds depending on your mood.

Good job, Roland.

10 Likes

Roland in a nutshell.

four assignable parameter mod matrix from the brief demos i’ve watched (but sounds like maybe not every available parameter is assignable in the matrix)

1 Like

Yes, under Button 12.

What a time to have banned oneself from YouTube :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

It’s a shame it’s not class compliant or MPC could use it as a sound card.

2 Likes

Ohh, am I the first to say ‘OP-1 Killer’ :slight_smile:

no FM radio :wink:

2 Likes

Sounding good has always been Roland’s strength. Being fun to use is another story, but this looks like they’re taking big steps in the right direction there too.

5 Likes

I can see this being great for ambient stuff.

1 Like

Probably both? I haven’t watched all the videos all the way through, but I kind of wonder if it’ll be like the JD-Xi which has a “program” that initially sets the voices/patches for all parts and then…

…you send bank change / program change messages on the part MIDI channel to switch individual parts’ patches. Roland has multitimbrality figured out. :grin:

1 Like

Don’t know how the MIDI PGM changes work on this one, but it’s got roughly the same thing going on with Patterns (/Programs) containing Tones/patches, but in contrast to the JD-Xi you can actually save the patches on their own, and the patterns refer to the saved patch instead of them being local for every pattern (like the JD-Xi programs). This is exciting and is one of the issues I have with the JD-Xi.

1 Like

Joking aside, those visual Arps are very ‘OP-1’ with X/Y tilt, real physics stuff like gravity- - Bounce, Bubble, Pong (that a real pong game !) , Orbit etc…

Seems like a good idea to move away from ‘accurate emulations ‘ of previous gear
After multiple attempts on boutiques / plug outs etc they’re still failing.

This seems reasonable , but that polyphony will get eaten very quickly ( if it’s anything like mc101 even basic noodle started to cut off notes )

707 is the centerpiece of most of my jams; the mixer, the sampler, the sequencer / controller, the fx box and some of the synths.
So an update won’t deliver that on this one.
But it’s a good move from Roland.

Does it do multitimbral outs over USB when recording?

what I find crazy: the Roland sound doesn’t appeal to me at all. MC707, MC101, boutiques… all sound meh… kind of uninspiring and cheap to me.
and yet probably 98% of all songs I love are made with Roland synthesizers or emulations of them.
On the other hand, a synthesizer like the Vermona Perfourmer sounds absolutely brilliant, inspiring, alive to me. But when i listen to songs made with this synth, all of it’s magic is gone…

10 Likes

Only to a pc/mac by the looks of it…
If it was multi out to iOS or class compliant I’d have to think seriously but nah :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

to spend so much time and money designing a new product and fitting it with the most unattractive buttons and switches just puts me off. Why skimp on the part where the user is interacting with the machine the most?

3 Likes

It lacks Analog parts, though.