New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

This looks great, but personally it feels very vanilla… great but doesn’t get me excited… this will probably bring a lot of joy to alot of people though

3 Likes

Each Part has its own MIDI Channel.

2 Likes

That opening demo song is the most Roland demo song I’ve ever heard.

1 Like

The fact that “SH-4d” pretty much equals “chad” is enough to silence any/all hate

3 Likes

thats the case on the jupiter xm too, i think, but that doesn’t mean you can freely choose any preset from any machine/engine with a program change message, right?

1 Like

There’s more than a passing similarity to the JD-Xa going on. The FX section is lifted straight from the JD and some of its limitations (no pattern chaining and no song mode) but it will do multitimbral sequencing across its parts. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are other similarities between PCM engines of both? The JD is supernatural based where as this is zencore based but at first glance there does seem to be a fair bit of sharing going on

2 Likes

Maybe this part has to be done on the Roland itself.

The buttons and their layout on the bottom half of the sh-4d kinda remind me of the op-z. :thinking: I watched about half of the loopop video and the thing seems a bit to convoluted for my taste.

Really nails those sharp, metallic sounds and has some lovely and creative functionality built in.

Still cheap and dated looking as hell, even if it is a (small) step in the right direction for modern day Roland. They need a new design team.

2 Likes

They finally caught up to the Manther and Mega FM design sensibilities

1 Like

I know Boss doesn’t make “4” pedals (besides the short lived PQ-4) because the number 4 is unlucky in Japan, due to the word sounding like “death.” So it’s pretty cool to see a Roland product with 4 in the name. Maybe I’m missing some others from Roland though.

Jupiter 4 most prominently

1 Like

Saying it’s got 11 machines when one of them is the same as another one, but with an LFO instead of the fourth oscillator is pushing it a bit. Why not just have that as an option on the base machine?

6 Likes

I think they were inspired on this old Roland Machine. Even the font is the same.

2 Likes

1h @cuckoomusic tutorial

11 Likes

But can you throw it in a backpack?

7 Likes

Lack of a spare pair of outputs bums me out on this. I mix on an analog mixer and would love a few more options for modern multitimbral synths.

3 Likes

I never understand why synthfluencers are always throwing things in backpacks.

11 Likes

Yeah, surely. What I just meant is the 16 step sequencer with the 2 octave keyboard right beneath it, all on tiny round buttons.

Same. Even one more pair of outputs would be a huge plus. This is really tempting, though. I’ve been considering a multitimbral synth + mpc live setup for a while and this almost nails what I want.

Did I miss it, or is there not a mod source/ destination list in the manual?