New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

Never heard of the MC-303, that super intuitive and easy to use Groovebox? :joy:

3 Likes

The fact that this cost only one model:cycles and a half really sends meā€¦
Elektron really has to step up their low entry price products this ainā€™t cutting it no more.

This is really really good by Roland, First groovebox-ish type of product from them I would consider buying. The visual arp looks so fun, the draw synth aswell. Still a bit menu-divey and some very questionnable design decisions for the sequencer butā€¦ that is still very impressive for 600 euros.

12 Likes

The step editor which shows the graphical ā€œtableā€ view of each note on the step and some probability/velocity/? values for each note :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Elektronā€™s mo is ā€œpremium instrument experience, not specs warā€ but Roland is really nipping at their heels here

3 Likes

Like the pads more with scales and stuff like 707 or tempest but always wanted a system 8 desktop.

may be a dumb question but does each of the four Parts and Rhythm track have a separate assignable MIDI channel? so that if youā€™re sequencing it externally, the multitimbrality is able to be routed to separate MIDI tracks than just one master MIDI IN

This looks fun. D-Motion is the new D-Beam! Working multitimbrally and being able to record each track separately is really nice to have. (When I do this, sometimes some of the tracks are placeholders for something else I want to grab from another machine. If they come out nice Iā€™ll blend both in the mix.) The specs also list an external audio input, which is fun for jamming along with stuff. Being able to draw your own wave sounds great, though in my experiences with Synclavier V, it can be hard to get a good result. Holding out for the special edition with the groovy SH-32 colors and diagrams :smiley:

Eyeing this up and considering shovelling out the shelf full of boutiques (apart from the SH01a and JU06a probably).

Even if the sequencer stinks (which lets face it, itā€™s roland so itā€™s probably going to), having that amount of synth/polyphony to be sequenced by an OT/DT would be an absolute banger.

3 Likes

Yep. 1-4 + 10 by default, changeable in global settings. (If I recall right from the Sonicstate video.)

1 Like

Right. Iā€™m out. Listened to lots of demos now. Sounds great, most of them. Some sound even awesome.

They also sound like everything else Iā€™ve heard the last three decades. Even in the hands of a skilled musician or two.

So even while I can appreciate that thereā€™s a lot going on in just one box here, that alone isnā€™t a reason to get it, for me. So Iā€™m out.

13 Likes

Anyone preordered yet? Iā€™m tempted

1 Like

I agree. I donā€™t hear anything that I canā€™t already do in many different ways.

4 Likes

An interesting direction for Roland. I think it sounds nice in a very digital way from the demosā€¦ would be a nice compliment to something like an Analog Four or Rytm, or a DT or DN to use their sequence tracks, as a minimal two-box setup.

There are a lot of clunky typical-Roland UI things that would probably keep me from buying itā€¦ but a lot of that would be alleviated by sequencing externally like any multitimbral synth.

1 Like

Just pre-ordered in Sweden (djservice). They say it could come by march 8 but we will see. The thing looks to be a spiritual successor to the JD-Xi to me and that was my first synth and really made it hard to resist. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I havenā€™t broken my vows! Embedded videos donā€™t count!!

2 Likes

Just saw it runs on batteries. Thatā€™s a lot of juice to be running on batteries. Crazy how far technology has come.

4 Likes

just when i was lokking at multitimbral synth, and was resigned to a nord lead, a digitone, or old second hand like novation ks4 or korg ms 2000/r3ā€¦

Once again the cycle start again: think that it will be a great success, and that lot of multitimbrals will followā€¦

look like it will be a buy for me of one of the firstsecond hand iā€™ll be able to foundā€¦ if until then it appear to deliverā€¦

greatā€¦

does we know how many hardware audio out???

me too

3 Likes

i wonder though, will you be able to select any patch on the sh-4d with a program change message if youā€™re sequencing it with something like a digitakt, or do you need to set up ā€œkitsā€ from within the sh-4d?

L and R Main Outs but Audio over USB.