New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

only the oscillator section. The rest is filter, amp, envelopes form the sh4d.
Same for the juno

Not to say that couldn’t sound great, just no a proper emulation

4 Likes

If i remember correctly from the video he says not completely proper, as it goes through this new modeled filter, but sounded nice, also a nice poly pad with 101 model oscilator.
But yes i‘ m also always lusting for a compact acidtrance unit. I wish there was pure acidtrance app from the pure acid app guy from Ukraine. I try it with dn often
Edit ups a bit too late…

1 Like

Some video or written review mentioned that the d stands for drums, because it’s 4 synth tracks plus a drum track. I wouldn’t base any hope for a keys version on that.

@chaocrator: For me, SH101 is as much about the controls/layout as about the sound. I really loved the sound on Jupiter XM, but it was really obtuse to understand what the buttons do. That should be a bit better here as there are sliders that could imitate the three wave sliders. But I still doubt that the thing will give you an SH feel, that’s why I bought the boutique. It’s all about playing the thing live, the layout is so direct and always leads you to ideas. I think that’s lost here. Same with the Juno. Might be different for you of course. SH01a also has four voices, although they share a signal path of course.

2 Likes

duh, to play it in a hipster cafe while drinking your overpriced latte obviously!

2 Likes

They aren’t hidden in menus. The top encoders give you access to detune depending on the synth.

Probably buying succulents.

2 Likes

I kinda liked buttons. Gives me old cordless telephone vibes.

1 Like

anyway, i guess SH-4d filter is similar to 707/101’s – which does the job well.
so lack of the dedicated modeled filter(s) of particular machines shouldn’t be a major problem.

same. but 80% of synth patches i ever use are plucks, so all performance parameters i might want to tweak live are there.
(and for screaming & roaring acid lines i use two little MAM MB-33 units anyway.)

2 Likes

I’m literally doing the same thing! 40 days, baby…except for this video hahahah

1 Like

So, I’m at the point where I see a new product and it’s either gonna fit into the way I work or not. This one comes dangerously close IF, and only IF:

Each of the four parts has it’s own effect AND EQ. Need the EQ to make it all fit together.

2 Likes

Happy to clarify, I meant that the sequencer is not good enough to take it into proper groovebox territory so “I won’t be making a switch”. Meaning, if it were a little bit more robust (eg at least 128 steps or conditional trigs, and supported off-grid nudging and pattern chaining), this could quite possibly be my ultimate songwriting/sketchpad device to replace a Syntakt because it offers polyphony, an arpeggiator, enough tracks for my needs, decent drum sounds including hats and snares, and plenty of great sounding effects. And in that hypothetical scenario, I would probably sell the Syntakt and thus no longer have another device to sequence the SH-4d from. Hope that makes more sense. :blush:

Personally, I love making music on a single device because I passionately hate cables and enjoy making music in bed and on the couch. That’s also why I put so much emphasis on battery power and usb-c charging. The second you hook up two devices together, that ability to move around freely around the house is gone.

5 Likes

That Carl Craig video is definitively a 100% GAS curer :wink:

17 Likes

Hey ! That’s my exact reaction for any new Elektron box. As for the SH-4d… I don’t know.

1 Like

Never felt that much cringe since DJ Pierre’s against the clock.

4 Likes

How do you reckon this compares with regards to drum sounds to someone coming from a TR-6S? Comparing the 101 and 6S I preferred the ACB sounds of the 6S but it looks like the 4D can do a lot more (and easily accessible) tweaking of the drum sounds than the 101.

OK. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks. I will wait for some demos with ambient sounds.

I see. Thanks.

Meh, just give me a beat-up Korg Monologue and a loop pedal, it’s basically the same.

1 Like

This 100%. To me, portability is a key aspect of making music on grooveboxes. It’s about designing my environment so that it’s as frictionless as possible to pick a device up when I have 5 minutes to spare between meetings or family duties. I often keep my Syntakt on my bed table and that’s usually when I’m the most productive because it’s a compelling alternative to watching YouTube videos. And the MC-101 can follow me anywhere thanks to the AA battery power.

Any two-device setup with lots of midi and audio cables in between means that the setup is relegated to a more permanent studio setup and it makes it that much slower to finish a song since I won’t power it on nearly as often as I would if it were sitting on my bed table. It also makes it less flexible to quickly jump between different song sketches.

So far, the Syntakt is the best all-in-one groovebox for my needs, but if the Roland SH-4d sequencer was a bit more flexible and pleasant to use (at least chaining of patterns), I would consider trading the 12 Syntakt tracks for 5 polyphonic Roland tracks because the sounds are just amazing. :blush:

Don’t get me wrong though: 12 mono synth voices is still quite amazing and it’s fascinating how far you can push things on the Syntakt on its own. But polyphonic noodling (arps, poly leads, chords) is always a missing element and I find myself dialing in really plucky sounds with lots of reverb and delay to conceal the fact that there’s no polyphony on it when noodling. And I do miss some more effects, particularly a chorus.

6 Likes