New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

It has all that, as far as I can tell. Even a master compressor.

2 Likes

I pre-ordered yesterday, but hadnā€™t watched the full Sonicstate video at that point.

Iā€™m now feeling slightly disappointed weā€™re not getting original filters for the 101 & Juno. Remains to be seen how good & ā€œauthenticā€ it sounds. The whole thing is digital so they could have put alternative filter modes in, but chose not to, yay Roland.

EDIT: This comes back to my earlier point Roland have painted themselves into a sort of corner, with very limited space to move without cannibalising an existing product, e.g. full 101 and Juno recreations on this, would just kill the SH-01A and JU-06A boutiques.

1 Like

i think that detune on the panel is just detuning one of the 4 main oscillators.
however one supersaw oscillator consists of many many seperate saw-waves which you can detune to one another. and that detune option is in the menu somewhere.

just watched the full loopop video - UI wise, this seems far less annoyingly roland than i was expecting. surely no worse than elektron stuff. and some things are arguably better!

even the mod matrix has autoassign source and destination by moving the parameter knobs you want to link. wow!

looks like you can shift+knob to see value without changing it, but unclear whether knob mode is pickup or immediate takeover. for a multitimbral groovebox it better have a pickup optionā€¦

also filter + eq + fx sends PER INDIVIDUAL DRUM INSTRUMENT (of which there are TWENTY SIX!) is insane

3 Likes

Nah, itā€™s just that they consider their zen core stuff good enough for almost all cases. If you really want 100% authenticity, you go for the ACB stuff.

The counter-example here are the ways in which they repackaged their ACB TR-* models. Some people prefer a full recreation of the original interface and workflow (with a few new cherries on too), some people prefer it in a more modern box (TR-8s, TR-6s), some people prefer it as a plugin.

2 Likes

Maybe, but Iā€™ve never gotten the 707/101 to sound anything like a SH-101 when I tried.
The snappiness of the envelope, the filter (of course)

Perhaps Iā€™ll have another look, Iā€™ll admit I didnā€™t try too hard

Roland products typically have ā€˜catchā€™ (nothing happens until the knob position moves over the set parameter value, at which point it catches and starts to modify the parameter) or ā€˜directā€™ (the parameter value jumps to the knob position the moment you move it).

They unfortunately all lack a ā€˜scaleā€™ mode like the Arturia Minifreak or the Korg Minilogue XD. What this mode does is that, when you move the knob, the parameter value will ā€œslideā€ from its current value towards the knob position in a smooth way. This is an ideal compromise between endless encoders and a tactile knob interface and it continues to amaze me that not every single company has adopted this mode and made it the standard.

5 Likes

Yes!
Much wisdom here.
When I first got into this I bought into the whole DAWless synthfluencer thing with the potted plant and thought Iā€™ll get the Circuit Tracks and some synths etc, but Iā€™m a dad with a job and if I need to spend half and hour rigging something up and know that I need to spend half an hour at the end of the session clearing everything away again itā€™s most of my creative time gone and if Iā€™m tired I canā€™t be bothered and probably wonā€™t start.
If I sort out a dedicated area with a fixed rig then maybe, but then itā€™s a bit like sitting down with a DAW.

For me grooveboxes work when you can make at least a decent sketch on the sofa and thatā€™s why the Polyend Tracker has been my number 1. The 707 is great, but itā€™s just that little bit too big. Iā€™ve been meaning to do a jam with them linked for weeks, but I just never get around to it which tells you all you need to know.

6 Likes

I think you buy the boutiques mainly because of the 1:1 replication of the interface and the small size. Itā€™s great for playing the instrument like you were supposed to. And you get a cute minituare version of a classic synth thatā€™s just really nice to look at. Not sure sound is the deciding factor here, especially since they have now moved away from ACB on the boutiques as well.

@djst: thanks for explaining the different catch functions. Now I want the scale mode on everything as well. On the boutiques, there is no catch function, which makes the multitimbral JX08 and JD08 unusable for live playing. Seems like they have at least a catch mode on their grooveboxes? I now also get why endless encoders are superior on these multitimbral groove boxes. I prefer knobs and sliders with a set range even on a multitimbral device like Rev2. However, with 5 parts it might get to confusing and endless encoders are the best option then.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no SH-101 model in the MC-101.

I made some 101 patches you might like (available in my synthgroups page). Sounded fairly authentic to me :slight_smile:

https://synthgroups.com/members/alex/activity/94/

4 Likes

Thanks for the share, mate.
If anyone got any specific question, especially coming from the head of an Elektron user, I donā€™t know every corner of the synth, but Iā€™ll do my best to answer.

All in all I think, especially from my head as an Elektron user, this is by far Rolandā€™s most fun to use synth.

35 Likes

Yeah I know.

Roland have made a total hash of ZenCore IMO, because it means different things depending on the device (e.g 101/707 vs the Xm vs the SH-4D). So rather than one unifying sound architecture theyā€™ve ended up with two or three variants of ZenCore all different

3 Likes

Canā€™t disagree. Makes sense for them to develop some kind of unified architecture to build stuff on, but they should have kept that internal instead of trying to market is as some kind of weird ā€œIntel Insideā€ branding thingy.

3 Likes

Youā€™re telling me! He makes it sound like a Yamaha RM1X and weā€™ve probably all been there 20 years ago.

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to hear more from your perspective! Havenā€™t watched your video yet but will definitely do. Is the sequencer doable as a standalone groovebox? Or best viewed as a companion sound module type of device to an existing setup with a more competent sequencer (eg Digitakt or Syntakt)? Particularly, can it manage a series of patterns that make up a song to jam out live (I know it doesnā€™t do pattern chaining or song mode)?

4 Likes

Yeah I owned a JX-08 briefly last year and quickly returned it because its interface was purely made for sound design with no intention of live performance tweakability.

Yes, the MC-101, MC-707 and SP-404 MKII all have both catch and jump modes - but, crucially, no scale mode. :sob:

Yeah, itā€™s really 5 tracks/parts and 4 oscillators sharing the same knobs, so itā€™s a total of 20 elements sharing the same knob in some cases. Based on my experiences with the MC-101 and JX-08, Iā€™m skeptical about how the SH-4d would handle in practice and itā€™s weird that theyā€™re so stubborn about knobs instead of encoders. Will be interesting to see how it handles in the real world in live performances, hopefully weā€™ll see a bunch of more hands-on reviews in the next few weeks.

2 Likes

Yup, I would also be very interested to see if you can come up with pattern variations and sketch a track this way while having fun like on an Elekron. Maybe you already covered that? I feel like you are the perfect YouTuber to give an honest account on how fun it is to use in that way when youā€™re used to Elektrons, @cuckoomusic. Your Syntakt video focussed on that aspect and thereby made a really good case why the machine stands apart!

1 Like

Looks a great box, if anything I hope this Roland release promptā€™s Elektron to release another Syntakt firmware update.

Common Elektron where is my Syntakt compressor to get things pumping like I can with my Digitakt.

3 Likes

This is tempting actually. I wonder how it does on trancey pads and arps.