New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

I am glad it works for you! Just doesn’t do it for me…

Again happy for you… I think honestly though more expensive in the long run a multi input audio card and a laptop can take all the weight of a mixer and pedals… also allows you the flexibility to use different inputs all the time and loads various FX as your needs change and evolve … that’s why I don’t care it in the machine…

more devices based off encore but without looking backwards… ACB FM drummachine fully thought out and just firmware update(but thankfully for it)… I don’t know though have to think on it…

1 Like

I don’t know how they got so much stuff in one machine, the manual explains a lot, but this is overwhelming

2 Likes

your right about the Syntakt… and elektron approach for a couple of years… I am still nervous that all the good minds may have left the company and we are left feasting/rehashing on their hard work 15+ years ago… that said I DO have hope for them as the Syntakt was while not a step forward was not a step back either… Roland needs to step up to get into the hardware/software space as elektron IMO…

Considering how high demand for the MM and MD still are, I wouldn’t say that’s completely a bad thing. Roland has been rehashing the same sounds for 30 years now. As jam packed as this is, it still sounds like every single device they’ve put out for 30 years now. Not a bad thing by any stretch.

I agree! A computer is the ultimate tool - I use mine a lot to finish my tracks, mix, etc. But I don’t have a laptop that I could gig with, and I’d still need to buy a better controller for it with more knobs, or maybe a Push 2.

1 Like

you have a syntakt and not that firmware? :flushed:

Syntakt is not a step back? Compare it to MnM and tell me its not a step back…

That was a cool device, combursome to use, but cool.

I had a feeling this looks like Elektron but couldn’t point my finger at it, thanks for the comparison!

1 Like

You seem to have misinterpreted my point.

Elektrons are good

Roland Zencore synths are also good

Roland being the biggest synth manufacturer in the world gets used in more pro music than Elektron (who are comparatively niche), but both are brilliant and get used in lots of pro music.

Which is better is a silly question that I’m not interested in.

4 Likes

Synth engine… yes … usability in the 21st century… no … It has no overbridge… if they had overbridge for the MnM or the machinedrum everything since the HEAT would be worthless… but the syntakt does so it I feel like it’s a set to the side… not forward, or backward… FPGA can only hold so much… or they could charge us 200 more per device for a larger one

It’s interesting that I have a Polyend Tracker and an MC-707 which both have this paradigm. It really makes sense to me also.

I’m wondering about using the 707 with a MIDI controller to get some knob twiddling goodness.

https://drolez.com/blog/music/roland-mc-707-midi-effects.php

1 Like

And arpegiator… and parameter slides… and routing… and fx tracks…
Im sorry but syntakt is a downgrade, not a sidegrade.

nah I like the shruthi;) played with a micro and never connected with it…feel like the mini would be the same…plus I don’t like keyboards on my sound modules… all that being said… the sound is fantastic!!!.. Just like where the synth engine comes from more… and everything always sounds better to me through a polivoks filter lol

Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but to say that if the MM and MD had OB, everything Elektron has since done would be worthless might be the silliest thing I’ve read on this forum, and there’s been a lot of silly things written.

2 Likes

I have a couple Carl Craig songs that get me going but yeah, that performance wasn’t super compelling.

Check out “Dominas”
Love that one, especially loud.

Anyone else thinking that twenty six drum parts is a little OTT!

I wonder if there’s ways to put some of them to better use, repurposing them as synth parts looks like it might be possible, e.g. loading a saw tone and using the filter for some mono bass part, then it boils down to how much a PITA it’ll be to adjust the pitch per step.

1 Like

Watched a few videos on this today, definitely seems like a pretty fun little box. Rhythm section making that little extra difference. FX section is great. I look across the room at my Rytm Mk2 and wonder……

1 Like

This thing is going to fit perfectly into my current setup of a Polyend Play, OP-1F and TX-6. I have the Jupiter XM. I love the sounds of the XM, but the size and ui are bit of a drag. I think Roland has a hit on their hands.

3 Likes

Roland’s best (not) groovebox yet! :joy:

2 Likes