New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

I dunno what the hell everyone is arguing about but I think I’ll sell my Cobalt and buy this piece of junk.

6 Likes

You have a total of 60 notes of polyphony over the whole device and layered sounds take up multiple notes so you would probably find if you were using all the drum voices the synths would start having notes getting stolen.

At least that’s how other Zen Core devices work.

Yes because the MC-303 is the best Groovebox. :rofl:

2 Likes

Each VCO uses a voice of polyphony afaik. So 4 instances of the 4d model playing model parts would use 16 voices.

You’re 100% spot on.

2 Likes

The demos sound a bit heavy on the highs, lacking a bit warmth and bass.
Not sure if this is due to the mastering of these tracks.
Can’t imagine that the zen core generally isn’t capable of some bassier tones, since mc101/707 deliver in that regard

1 Like

If I was a total beginner in 2024 and had no gear the new Roland synth would be a good first piece of hardware or maybe the Elektron Syntakt. But for me, I want a real analog poly synth from Roland if they ever make one in the future.

2 Likes

I thought it wasnt related to zen core.

It’s the same Zen Core engine internally, but not patch compatible with the likes of the Jupiter-Xm or 707. They’ve simplified things a bit so you don’t get access to all parameters for 4 partials for example, but… internally the guts are based on that tech

2 Likes

Ah ok, thanks.

“but not patch compatible”

That’s quite a bummer.

just hearing the first demos, the tones all sound very " shiny" at least over YT. more presence than a plugin but still maybe too digital for my tastes. or at least not $650 yet, but definitely worth considering as i hear more use (the JD piano alone has me on the fence)

Will this synth allow me to sound different while also sounding familiar?

7 Likes

Better than that when it detects a go pro it poops out a succulent and an overpriced late.

6 Likes

Yes, but also no

2 Likes

I know what you mean, I think everyone has either scrolled randomly through some parameters resulting in janky sounds, or jumped quickly through some cheesy presets.
The patch that Bobeats made was particularly dreadful, but that wasn’t the SH-4D’s fault, many poor choices were made.

One snippet that had me convinced was the 30 sec demo of the SH-101 model here especially when the sub-osc is mixed in, YMMV as I’m a hopeless sucker for that 101 sound

3 Likes

Hitting the 128 voice limit on the jdxi wasn’t that difficult, 60 seems a bit restrictive if the same terminology is being used, one more track to share amongst too.

1 Like

Totally agree. I’m not sure I would have bought the XM if this box had been around at the time (assuming they have the same sound quality). The XM can do some tricks the 4d can’t (the choice of Roland/Moog/Seqential filters, big library of rompler sounds)—but the 4d looks so much more compact and comfortable to use. The expanded choice of synth types in the 4d really helps it shine as a digital synth.

Plus, the fact that the 4d has separate physical controls for amp and filter envelopes is really appealing.

BUT … no more buying and selling over here.

1 Like

I sold my JupiterXM after wrestling with the trajic UI.

3 Likes

I understand completely.

Interesting box. Probably a lot of fun and versatile enough to get into trouble. Roland is doing their sample-platter thing for sound generation, which unless you actively fight it, often leads you into sounding like … Roland. Not a bad thing, if you like those sounds.

The UX is interesting, seems inspired by older Rolands with maybe more than a hint of Elektron. More dedicated control and a certain focus on particular parts of the workflow make this a cool alternative to other Rolands that seem more menu-divey and generalized. At least the SH-4d seems like it’s trying to be something to someone instead of everything to everyone.

The whole motion sensor thing seems useless, and could have been cut completely to save on costs. You’ll never see me picking up an entire synth/groovebox and waving it around like an idiot in a studio or live situation. A joystick would be so much more practical.

All that being said, I own multiple Elektrons, and have an ongoing love affair with them and the sheer variety of music I can make with them, so the SH-4d wouldn’t bring anything extra to the table for my needs that I don’t already have. But I can certainly see the attraction.

6 Likes