New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

Yeah, every demo I hear, and this is going to sound stupid, screams Roland. If you’ve wanted a collection of those sounds in one affordable box, we’ll here you go. If not…well why are you still reading through this topic.
Watched the Sonic State overview, which was pretty informative. The presentor kept reminding the viewer that the filter was new and unique to the SH-4D. Maybe it’s just me, but it just sounds like a regular old 24db ladder filter to me.

1 Like

It costs very little. They have a similar thing in their high end wind synth where it makes a lot of sense.

I really wish I could split the universe to find out how many extra units they sell because of this feature (if any). My guess is zero but maybe Roland has done A/B tests and has a real answer…

I wonder if the motion sensor came “free” with one of the chips it uses, e.g. some system on chip thing. But they still spent some time developing the UI and feature support on top of that

2 Likes

It will be a mobile phone orientation sensor it will cost pence.

1 Like

Which with the volume of sales over a lifetime, costs close to nothing.

That’s something about software features, once you sell at volume, costs per unit drops dramatically.

you are… I said since the HEAT.

I feel seen.

3 Likes

I had a JU06-A but it sounded sterile to me, even with the chorus. Not sure if that’s because it’s digital or if the Juno 60 / 106 really do sound like that. I have a JX-8P and love it - completely different. Not interested in more bland digital Roland sounds myself, but can see it looks like fun.

1 Like

What often gets missed is that more features does not always make something better and can very well make it worse. (not implying you’re suggesting otherwise).

2 Likes

Absolutely. Agreed.

Product design decisions are difficult, usually made by a group, and made in a relative hurry. You get customer feedback, and watch the competiton, and have some very good people making the decisions, but that’s all you got. Hindsight isn’t even 20/20.

Sometimes late in a project, you have a change of heart, but realize it’s to late, and so leave stuff in.

But having the motion detector in is not a big deal, hardly worth our discussion frankly, outside of how you won’t ever use it.

3 Likes

I found Cuckoo’s demo to reveal that it can certainly sound very @cuckoomusic too, not just Roland. Personally, I think that’s part of the strength of Roland, that it can sound so diverse and be pushed into so many different genres and styles. Roland sounds “clean” to me ears, for lack of a better word. In comparison, the Syntakt sounds kind of gritty/harsh. I like that sound too, but I find it hard to tame the Syntakt, whereas I find it easy to toughen up the MC-101 sound if I want to.

5 Likes

I woke up this morning thinking it was just another Roland uninspiring product. Then I saw this thread and watched a couple of videos. It was definitely Cuckoo’s video that opened my eyes to its sound design. Pretty impressed with what he opened up in it.
I have been on the lookout for something multitimbral for a while, and I believe this could be super interesting when paired with a Squarp Hapax or Torso T-1, together with perhaps an analog bass synth and a external rhythm group (analog, samples, or otherwise)

3 Likes

I still remember when 60mins had the big unveiling of the Segway with the founder claiming that he had invented something that would change the world…and…when I was 13 I thought that Nintendo gyroscope was pretty stupid although the pad you run on for track & field was alright although most people including myself knelt before the Nintendo alter and banged on it with our fists to win. Which makes me wonder now: when will someone make a playable surface like that where we can turn our sick dance moves into polyrhythmic off tempo sequences?

2 Likes

Tbh I’ve never heard such uninspiring “demo” like crap from CC. Is this the same Carl Craig that I know?

2 Likes

i know it was hard to watch as a fan of his previous work, like a 1 minute performance? get real lol

1 Like

Lol. This RM1x reference was EXACTLY what I was thinking! It really sounds like an RM1x preset pattern.

the umpteenth Roland groovebox that will enter the forgotten world in 12 months…

5 Likes

Hell yeah.

ITS just the same sounds rereleased on different controllers, which I’m not mad at. It gives you choice on how to interact with legacy Roland sounds.

I’m just happy they are releasing things that make the value of the MC101 such a much more capable synth and more of a modern day classic.

2 Likes

CC is CTC. I don’t blame him lol.