New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

One thing I’ve noticed is that no-one has shown in any video is changing patterns without stopping the sequencer. Every video so far they have stopped the sequencer between patterns when running through the default patterns. Having seen plenty of sequencers cut the note release or FX tails (both the electribe 2 and MC-707 did this on release), I’d like to see a demo of this.

I’d also like to know how well it responds to receiving program changes from other gear. The MC-707 and T-8 change scenes/patterns beautifully when receiving PCMs from my Elektron gear, but the TR-6S/TR-8S always glitched out, skipped beats and went out of sync when responding program change messages. This was one of the main reasons I sold it.

Cheers Starsky :sweat_smile:
12 mins ago…

9 Likes

Good question on how it sounds when switching. I’ve heard nasty results before. You can switch patterns while still running for sure though.

Definitely want to see more on the drums too, how flexible & powerful it might be. I’m hopeful it’s going to capable enough to allow you to sculpt interesting percussion sounds from scratch.

If it really does just boil down to layering a couple of samples I’ll be a little disappointed

EDIT: Doh! Just saw the reply with the Starsky Carr video!

1 Like

One thing that I either overlooked in the manual or that I just haven’t seen covered - is there a limit to how many voices each of the synth models can have? Or can they have as many voices as are available?

That takes more effort, and sourcing of materials than I want to do. I could also build my own synth :slight_smile:

1 Like

My doc goes into that. I believe part 1 prioritizes sound stealing as well. At least the table in the manual seems to communicate that.

Honestly the doc confused the hell out of of me :frowning:

For context, I probably won’t even be using the rhythm section at all - I’m just trying to figure out how many “Voices” of polyphony each engine will take. I’m assuming the 4 osc takes 4, 3 osc takes 3, 101 and Juno take 1, etc? And outside of that - is the Juno mode limited to a certain number of notes at a time, to adhere to some kind of constraint similar to the original hardware? Could I just play a horrible 60-note chord on it with no other active voices?

1 Like

See I was thinking the shift combo would let you adjust to the catch, and not have the parameter change. Does it just show the value? Catch is nice and all, but you can easily change a sound. Bummer if the shift combo doesn’t work the way I was thinking.

60 voices total per step. Rhythm allows 8 voices per step. Most OSC models I’m just assuming that 1 note = 4 voices. So a 6 note chord would be 24 voices.

2 Likes

In one of the videos they said up to 8 voices polyphony per synth part

1 Like

Honestly I don’t know, I was just pointing out that Catch mode was available. I did see someone use shift in a video but I thought he said is was for seeing the current value. I could be wrong though, and I can’t remember what video it was. Possibly Loopop

I’m pretty sure you need to twist a knob for the value to be shown. In other words, yes you should be able to dial it closer to where the parameter value is, assuming it’s using a scale that you can roughly translate to a physical position yourself. I couldn’t see myself doing a lot of that in a real live situation though but maybe that’s just me.

You can limit the number of voices per part yourself - there is a config in the menu somewhere. The Roland guy showed it in a video, maybe the Sonic State one.

2 Likes

Watch this video around 17:35. It looks like you can change patterns without stopping. You can see him playing one pattern (1-13), hit a pattern button (15) and cue up the next pattern (1-15), which starts soon after …

From this example, it’s not clear if tails can carry over; here everything changes right away and it sounds natural.

2 Likes

Fair enough, just know its doable, and not too complicated (much easier than building a synth) :smiley:

1 Like

Transitions between patterns sound rather seamless.

On a lot of older grooveboxes, you’d hear a big blank upon transition or the global effects would cut and it would sound like a mess. sometimes there would even be a noticeable time gap between the 2 patterns! The MC808 suffered from that problem, it would choke during a transition.

These are the kind of glitches you just don’t want to hear today, to me it’s absolutely unacceptable.

1 Like

It’s difficult to tell from that one clip. It doesn’t sound bad though.

1 Like

I swear the SH1000 is what BOC use vs. SH-101

1 Like

Preordered. I’m not usually the type to do so but this looks like a winner.

Hoping to also pick up a Nord A1R next week as well to go head to head for the role of multitimbral centerpiece for my live setup, replacing a digitone, minitaur, AS1, and T8 all in one, running into octatrack.

Plan is to sequence externally from my Oxi One anyway, so i may even try patch matching four timbres on both to see which I like interacting with more for sound design and performance…

(Nord might have an edge on character vs the Roland classic sounds, but I’m betting the form factor, new sound engines, EQ/FX, and live performance options of the sh might edge it out. Plus battery powered. Plus screen. Plus a drum track :slight_smile:

3 Likes