New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

I love my Nord A1 – sounds gorgeous, and it’s very expressive. I really like the expedited workflow. Enjoy!

2 Likes

I’ll wait a bit to see if any bugs are found, but I’m really interested much much. Imagine the SH-4D will be a great addition to an Octatrack + drum machine setup for jams and live gigs.

The rhythm part is gonna be great for transitioning and the abundance of effects is of course something I’m looking forward to explore. The eq per part (even each voice in the rhythm part does have its own eq+send, if I understood that correctly).

Wished they’d opted for a proper D-Beam instead of that gyroscope, tho! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Low Stakes Conspiracy: The silly ‘shake your synth around’ feature is so that people are more likely to drop it and need to buy another one.

2 Likes

Gyro is mental on something this large and wired in! Don’t ever use it on the op-z.

I’m thinking this might be the perfect compliment to my op-z to replace it’s 4 synth tracks, which are pretty weak. Plus I get a free Roland drum machine!

Thinking about it, with an op-z and sh-4d I’d get double gyro action :dizzy_face:‍:dizzy:

This thread is making me hungry for a gyro.

4 Likes

Yeah, pretty much. Lol, I just had this thought about a controller, similar to a Wii controller, a small device that can be held with one hand and it has a loop that goes around your wrist so you can have it dangling at the side. It plugs into an expansion port or works wireless and it’s basically D-Beam Zenology. :laughing:
Set up macros to turn up send fx levels, reverb decay, filters etc. and D-Beam the shit out of your audience!
It even has buttons to select a different macro, just up and down buttons you can feel with your thumb to work on perfectly on a dark stage.

1 Like

Banana rocking the Roland Sh-4d! Flautist in the building! That things on fire!

9 Likes

it drops bottom :+1:t6:

1 Like

Just received my unit, have only had a chance to unpack and play a few sounds, though first impressions are good. The circle buttons are different to what I thought, they aren’t clicky like on the Jupiter X, more spongey like a calculator. I feel like they also need a little bit of wearing in, some didn’t register intial press, though they seem fine now. The encoders wobble a little more than the pots, though that is normal. The faders seem to be the same as on the TR6-S, which is a good thing. Playing around with sounds and menus, it very much feels like a more streamlined to the point Jupiter X… Thumbs up so far.

7 Likes

That was fast. Where did you purchase from?

I’m not hearing as much dynamic range as I’d expect with the wind controller.

Roland devices are usually easy mode for that as they usually have the Expression CC to Patch Volume mapping.

1 Like

BetterMusic in Australia, most of the AU retailers seem to have stock at the moment.

2 Likes

Wow, no stock here in Germany until late March…

Not sure if already shared. Some nice demo sounds here as well

I think Roland had catched on with the button press & knob twist parameter lock thingy. Once they polish the UI further they can develop less menu divvy products. I also believe Roland have some very talented engineers.

Martin Gretschmann (ex the Notwist, Console, Acid Pauli) used to play synths with a Wii Mote for Notwist live shows. Don’t know what it was mapped to though and how he pulled it off. Might be worth looking into. I think he was playing through a laptop.

1 Like

What’s your impression of sound quality vs. the Jupiter X, the basic sound of the oscs and filter?

are there any demos that show what the distortions n compressor sound like?

I love how elektron gear (digitone, syntakt, cycles especially) sound really musical when slammed and start to break up. m8 has this quality too. its a big thing for me

1 Like
3 Likes

Yeah baffled; 8-10 weeks on Thomann :frowning: