New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

The drum engine is pretty simple but nice! I think the tone effects comes in handy especially when making drum kits. Like overdrive, guitar amp simulations and stuff that might sound a bit too much on long synth tones could really crunch up the kits.

5 Likes

Yes. Install and forget. Works well so far. Pretty low latency.

3 Likes

Am I right in saying you canā€™t bypass the tone effect for individual drums, it is applied to the whole kit? I thought this might be a way to add auto pan, step filter etc. to individual drums (to add a bit of movement) but it doesnā€™t seem possible.

@x0x: Can you confirm that all filter envelope controls work on Juno and SH-101 models?

I guess itā€™s the same as MC-707 in that aspect.
It just does not work with Linux, thatā€™s why I asked.

Yes they do. All of the models pass through the filter and amp sections

3 Likes

I stand corrected. Thereā€™s an option to adjust pitch bend range in the menu

2 Likes

Actually I think this is related to a bug.

Reverb and Chorus send are both available as destinations in the mod matrix (but not the delay send). However, when you set it up, neither of them respond to the modulation.

Iā€™ll report this to Roland.

It could be that once this is fixed then you might also be able to record the sends as motion.

Itā€™s also strange that delay send isnā€™t available as a destination.

Looking at the manual it seems that individual drum sounds can bypass the kit MFX (albeit there is only a single kit MFX).

By the way, I tested setting all the midi channels to 1, and then using a midi loop back to play all 4 parts together from the mini keys. Worked perfectly!

4 Likes

Quick Tipsā€¦

Holding Shift while turning Cutoff adjusts Cutoff Velocity Sensitivity

Holding Shift while turning Amp Level adjusts Amp Velocity Sensitivity

Nice to have direct control over these instead of having to jump into the menus :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I did try this, but unfortunately the MFX is applied to every part, and while you can bypass it for individual drums in the Rhythm part, there is no option to bypass it on the four Tone tracks (itā€™s either on or off for the whole pattern). So whatever MFX you selected for the drums would be applied to every Tone part. Seems like a strange omission!

1 Like

Thatā€™s a big plus of it for sure, Iā€˜m not sure if there is decent emulations of these two synth legends with a dedicated filter envelope. At least not in hardware form I think. It could really open them up, especially the Juno.

2 Likes

Yes there are 4 tone MFXs (one for each tone), a single kit MFX (though individual kit sounds can bypass this MFX) and the pattern MFX.
Obviously all sounds pass through the pattern MFX.

Yeah, was just saying that you canā€™t use the MFX to apply effects to individual drums as the MFX will also affect the Tone tracks if itā€™s turned on.

4 Likes

This answered my last major questions about voice allocation. Awesome!

1 Like

Interesting. So 60 partials. Good enough in practice, but quite cut down from the X/Xm (256 partials).

1 Like

500mA current draw from USB is going to result in some loss of compute power as you only have 2.5W for everything on the system.

Amazing work @x0x thanks for the deeper dive and unearthing some of the short comings.
I think Iā€™m sticking with my pre-order, nothing raised so far really bothers me.

I suppose I was hoping for a little more from the drum section, in terms of being a slightly more fully featured drum synth (e.g. an LFO, more control of the sound shaping). In this dept. looks like my ongoing GAS for the Syntakt will remain

1 Like