New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

Yes, it’s definitely a keeper. Really enjoy it!

4 Likes

Side question: did an original 808 or 909 have an LFO? If not then I see why Roland didn’t add them to the rhythm track. Then again it’s 2023 and Roland could step a little more into the future…

1 Like

I actually thought the same thing. We do expect a lot these days!

1 Like

Does anyone know how this handles USB audio? The website mentions that it has 12 tracks of audio but nothing more. I’ve had a look through the manual and can’t find any mention of it. Can you assign different parts to different outputs manually?

I think it is a stereo pair per part, then another stereo pair for the whole mix. Unfortunately the audio input isn’t included in the whole mix or as a separate pair. Might have heard all of that on the sonic state video.

1 Like

16:20-16:30…. Nick is getting close to Partridge. I hope he doesn’t start belting out Gold Finger :man_facepalming:

1 Like

In addition to what @dhunterrr said, I believe it’s not class-compliant - it needs drivers. So no using it with an iPad or something.

1 Like

I tested this and it’s definitely not class compliant, although they did add this to the 101/707 later so it could come with an update

1 Like

It’s so strange that they figured out how to do the class compliant thing on previous devices but didn’t include it on this one from day one.

2 Likes

Not the originals, but the TR8/6S has one LFO thats shared across all tracks… only one rate, but you can assign it to anything in the menu.

2 Likes

i’m so stoked for mine to arrive, but my Minitaur, AS1, and digitone are looking at me all sad whenever i’m in my studio. They know something’s up…

Ran my minitaur and AS1 through my OTO Boum last night. Jeeeeesus. I’m reaaaally hoping I can get close enough to the minitaur sound with the SH-4D’s ladder filter and some careful programming, since it’s quite a lot of weight in my live case for just that one monophonic, limited palette. (But a damn good palette it is!)

2 Likes

Why does the Sh-4d have a hpf knob, and also a hpf on the main cutoff knob?

1 Like

The default program filter is not a ladder filter model, AFAIK it doesn’t self oscillate. Maybe the extra MFX filters do.

1 Like

That’s correct

Unfortunately not

The dedicated hpf is for filtering out the lows, it’s like one half of the Digitakt’s Bass-Width filter. A lot of the old Roland synths (including the Juno) have this additional filter.

1 Like

Thank you. I am lazy so all the rhythm parts going to one stereo output does put me off a bit

Interesting that there is a MOTION SW ON/OFF setting in the pattern settings for the Rhythm part, but you can’t record any automation.

Either this setting shouldn’t be there, or they are planning to add MOTION to the Rhythm track.

2 Likes

Sweetwater rep called and said they are in …processing and shipping my preorder today…woot.

3 Likes

I ordered one on Thomann a week ago …

What exactly is the SH4d’s filter modeled after?