New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

the only thing i care about: does it have supersaw?!

4 Likes

It can do rompler sounds, but it also has VA, Wavetable and FM engines and Roland FX are exceptionally good.

I think it was mentioned as one of the available PCM-based waves but definitely worth perusing the vids.

1 Like

Okey, but still, low CPU VA vs Analog :slight_smile: But ofc it’s subjective

*i like the FX on the 707 but programming was such a PITA so i gave up

1 Like

But is it as cool as the D BEAM on the MC 505? :cool:

2 Likes

Again subjective, but I’ve owned a Syntakt and currently have an MC-707 and the Zencore engine sounded substantially better for synth sounds than anything I could get out of the Syntakt.

That said I’m no synth wizard so your results may vary.

6 Likes

Yeah I think it depends on what you like as well. For example the Syntakt won’t give you ”Roland string sounds”

2 Likes

It’s not a rompler, only one of the eleven models is PCM based. Please don’t spread misinformation.

That’s very much the feeling I had. I love the bass I get out of the Syntakt, especially from the analog voices, so I don’t see this replacing it any time soon.

However, I have been looking for something polyphonic and relatively inexpensive to pair with the ST and this might be the one.

2 Likes

I only watched one overview video and preliminary thoughts were that Roland could have added a fifth fader for “R” and/or master volume use. The “gyroscope” function looks gimmicky. Seems that they had intentionally avoided entering Jupiter and TB acid territory although digital-wise I am sure they can do it. Early thoughts only.

1 Like

… swarm does …

4 Likes

Me: The D-Beam might be the silliest thing ever included in a synth.

Roland: Hold my beer……

12 Likes

The eleven models :

• SH-4d – a 4-oscillator algorithm inspired by Roland SH synthesizers from the past.
  • SH-3d – SH-4d algorithm with three oscillators and a second LFO
  • chord uses the SH-4d algo in paraphonic
  • ring – two oscillators shaped by a ring modulator
  • sync – two oscillators + sync
  • cross FM – 2-operator FM synthesis
  • wavetable – 31 wavetables for modern and futuristic sounds
  • drawing allows you draw custom waveshapes
  • SH-101 – emulation of the iconic Roland SH-101
  • Juno-106 – emulation of the iconic Roland Juno-106
  • PCM allows you to mix up to 4 PCM parts choosing from a wide range of sounds

from SynthAnatomy.

9 Likes

Thanks for the correction, need to get that firmware update soon…!

1 Like

Drums aren’t samples from the demo I’ve seen it’s two layers of 400+ waveforms and transients with a load of sculping options

There’s a “drawing” engine too for custom waveshapes/wavetables.

Nothing about this feels static, compared to say the 101/707

looks like a spiritual successor to the SH-32 Roland SH-32 | Vintage Synth Explorer image
used to great effect by Brian Grainger (Milieu, Coppice Halifax etc.)

somehow i think the soulless smart-fridge control panel looking SH-4d is uglier than this bizarre piece of retro hospital equipment

8 Likes

The way it is set up for balance is the four sliders, and the knob to the right above them for the drums. So not a problem.

from Loopop video.

Roland constantly tread a fine line with cannibalising their existing products (just look at the T-8 or J-6 vs the Boutiques for example)

I guess it would be a step too far into the space the 101 / 707 occupy. Having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised if it comes later with an update

1 Like

Anyone know if you can set musical scales on the keyboard? Major, minor etc.

I checked the manual, it’s not true you can’t address each part separately. They each are assigned a configurable MIDI channel. That review must have got confused

1 Like