New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

Thanks for checking that, great. It was a confusing formulation in the gearnews review. Maybe the author just meant that you cannot play several parts at the same time with a keyboard (onboard or external). Which wouldn’t matter to me, as long as you can sequence it on separate MIDI channels at the same time.

@Claid: I’m not a connoisseur, but the digital emulations of SH01a and JU06a in the boutiques sound pretty great to me. They also did on Jupiter XM. More than enough analog sound if the emulation on SH-4D is about the same.

2 Likes

From the manual it looks like a no, which is a shame. The only place I saw “major” and “minor” mentioned in the manual was in regard to the chord oscillator/engine

1 Like

Oh wow, even better. :smiley:

Haven’t watched the reviews yet as I’m moving house as we speak (finally!) so I’m just assuming based on what I’ve briefly read. Going to lurk now until I get the time to research more.

I’d love to think that Swarm is the direction future (digital) machines for the Syntakt will go!

1 Like

yes

12:27

2 Likes

Pretty cool, but I didn’t hear anything that compels me to acquire one. Seems basic in its functionality and sound but I didn’t (and probably won’t) watch all the hype videos.

2 Likes

Need to check it out soon! I would also like some kind of sample playback, even if it was super primitive, it would be a game changer to add a hi hat sample or two, or to run a couple of one shots through the analog filter

I really think the hihats is what makes the Syntakt sound “bad” for many. In Metal, people say the snare is the “face” of the music. In electronic music, hihats are not far from being that.

Though personally I’d prefer a hihat/cymbal synthesis machine, inspired by things like the 909 and Breakbeats, so we can make our own.

11 Likes

cool, but it seems detune and other controls are hidden in menus :confused:

It’s a Roland.

Everything is hidden in menus.

9 Likes

ok, but is detune at least p-lockable in the sequencer somehow?

Looking at the manual it has a pretty amazing fx section!

1 Like

No idea.

Interesting, interesting.

But I really wish it had more physical outputs.

3 Likes

Yeah second pair of assignable outs would be nice, esp for the drums

But there’s a decent amount you can do onboard like EQ for all parts and drums, and panning etc

2 Likes

I like Roland’s modern digital instruments.

But every time they use an analog synth name for what turns out to another digital synth, it hurts my heart.

2 Likes

The manual states “Aside from recording notes, you can also record or playback the knob motions at the same time” and "You can also record the knob position into each step "

2 Likes

Great potential, but no Zen-core compatibility !?! Given how much time and effort I’ve spent learning the engine on the MC series, I think it’s a miss for me. Also, if PCM is possible, why not allow user samples ? Going back to 64 step (instead of 128) is another bummer.

Roland has done good things updating their firmwares, so maybe If they’ll address this.

2 Likes

Was really hoping for a desktop Fantom; something that could create and play ZEN-Core presets like the MCs, but also had enough knobs to run the model expansions.

But this feels more like some of the Boutiques that take advantage of ZEN-Core as the engine, but keep direct access at arm’s reach.

That’s fine. ZEN-Core is really overwhelming and these “macro models” look well thought out and implemented. And of course it sounds great! But please don’t let this mean I won’t see my knobby Fantom-0 or System-ZEN, Roland!

3 Likes

Yes. 12 channels over usb audio.

3 Likes