New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

People with GAS. Wait it out. Other synths will get announced weekly until namm in April. This is just the begjnning

14 Likes

Thanks, I couldnā€™t find the manual. Can you post a link?

Is there a reason so many manufacturers insist on including a constantly flashing light on any gear that sequences? Am I the only one who finds this intolerable? This looks amazing otherwise but I donā€™t want to have to put black tape over the buttons.

4 Likes

Canā€™t wait to hear someone run it through its paces with the p locks and multiple engines at once. Exciting to see how early Elektron this is capable of sounding

1 Like

This looks pretty amazing and promising. Nice original looking 4 part synth looking very handy. Definitely getting this One. Roland is really good with updates aswell im sure it Will get better overtime.

Mate i get epileptic too. I wish they had dim toggles on led lights in gear. A good amount of people are sensitive to light like us.

1 Like

I posted it.
Itā€™s a few posts above, this thread is moving fairly fast :slight_smile:

1 Like

Superbooth is May 11th-13th too(I promised myself Iā€™d wait until mid May before buying any new gear for that exact reason)

1 Like

Itā€™s a little bit interesting, but I hate everything that is not endless encoders and I dislike the look of those round circle buttons ā€¦

5 Likes

Someone know if this new sh4d can sequence external synth (including sequence with his arpegiator) AND get the audio input AND process it with his internal FX AND record the audio in with USB, in an external track.
If it can do all this thing, it can be really interesting.

2 Likes

i really didnā€™t want to like this one and hop on the GAS train, but these demos sound crazy good. this, paired with Oxi One, could easily replace my digitone in my liveset and dare i say sound way better / more versatile doing it :stuck_out_tongue:

might hold off on the nord a1r i found locally secondhand a week ago. half as expensive, battery powered, and again, more versatile. ughhhh

def waiting for secondhand price drop on this one

Audio in is a big draw over the mc101.

I hope/wonder if audio over usb can have the audio input assigned to a channel distinct from each synth and the drums.

Sounds pretty good to me. Nowā€¦ come on Syntakt! Get yourself some more machines and poly ability. Let me easily create chords and pads with Swarm and Raw! While Iā€™m dreaming, throw in a sample player machine. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

After a deeper look into the manual:

Good: The step sequencer is (for Roland standards) quite okay, you can even copy several steps at once.
Good: You can also set steps via an external MIDI keyboard.
Good: You can extend or shorten the gate time globally for all steps.

Bad: Incoming transport commands cannot be filtered
Bad: There seems to be no class-compliant USB, so nothing with iPad. And always hope for driver updates in the future.

1 Like

Out of the box the drums and cymbals sound instantly more useable than the Syntakt :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Lack of aux out to split the drums and synths is annoying. I like the portability and battery power. My Drumlogue seems rather pointless now, I guess it already wasā€¦ Iā€™d like to see a drum shootout between this and the TR-8S

2 Likes

The sequencer and live recording looks quite okay in the Loopop video. The fact that the part buttons are also steps could be a problem, if selection is as shitty as on other Rolands.

More repackaged Zencore stuffā€¦ :yawning_face:

3 Likes

In my ideal world, Syntakt would get a lot more machine updates and become this kind of flexible macro groovebox. But I have a nagging feeling that was really just a stopgap product with old features/sounds when they needed one (similar to Roland just porting zencore to the JD08 and JX-08 boutiques, and Moog putting itā€™s existing tech w/ a few perks into the Mavis). The new platform theyā€™re working on will probably be the one where we see a more SH-4d or MnM like product from them again. I hope Iā€™m wrong and they really invest more effort giving Syntakt more diversity of sounds, but iā€™m not holding my breath as it was created during this really difficult and sort of desperate period of supply issues and transition to a new platform

6 Likes

Thatā€™s what put me off.

3 Likes

Right. Iā€™m in. Loved that f****r.

4 Likes