New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

I think we’re all so used to non-volatile memory with patterns that saving each pattern out individually seems like such a pain. @x0x very cool template solution btw!

1 Like

Does the A4 make you push Enter 14 times when saving a pattern?

Edit: and that’s if you choose to skip the part where it wants you to rename each of the five parts.

TBH, I’ve always found the A4 really confusing compared to the more modern machines.

On the Syntakt for example I’ve got a load of sounds that I’ve saved as being ‘somewhere around a starting point’ and then when I save a pattern, any tweaks I’ve made are saved at pattern level without needing to press save about 4 billion times on a menu.

1 Like

That’s funny, for me it was the opposite. My first digi box I was like what happened to the kits! Where are my kits? Plusses and minuses in each case though for sure.

1 Like

Yeah, I think it very much depends on where you came in. I was Models>Digitakt>Digitone>Octatrack>Syntakt>A4 and the kits on the A4 are even more abstract to me than parts on the octa were. I’ve still not really gelled with it which is why it’s up for sale.

Horses for courses though.

2 Likes

The SH-4d saving functionality is the worst, A4 is a breeze compared (when you figure it out). However, do I really need to rename all the parts while saving? Do you know what happens if I stay with the default name?

That is only partially true.

It would only be the first time and also if you use the four tracks. Next time you could just override like you do with your template.

You don’t have to rename and it automatically finds the closest unused user slot.

To me is not as bad as you make it sound though.

A4 doesn’t find empty user slots so in a way is worst imo. It also doesn’t have the override in a single press like the sh4d has.

I also don’t like it that much either.

you can have them all with the same name, it automatically finds the next empty user slot if you haven’t save it yet. Next time you save you can override with one press.

1 Like

You can skip renaming by pressing enter 14 times, and @andreu is right - you only need to do this the first time you save the pattern. You can stay with the patch name or “user sound” (or something similar) if you init’ed

1 Like

Can anyone confirm a bug for me? Have a Saturator as MFX on two diff patterns, when switching between patterns it ducks volume at the front

The MFX is a pattern effect, so when you switch pattern it gets cut. Same problem with the Send FX. Try adding the Saturator as a Tone FX, then it shouldn’t get cut.

3 Likes

Nice one.

1 Like

See what you mean, seems odd though if I’m putting together diff patterns to make up a song, I can’t use the same pattern MFX with the same setting. Feels like a bug lol

Yes it’s less than ideal. I’m sure they could improve it

I’ve checked the manual, but some things are still unclear to me. Could someone who have the machine already confirm that:

1. it’s possible to control each part separately via MIDI, including the drums. I want to use an external sequencer for that and 4d as a sound module.
  2. it’s possible to switch parts sounds/patches independently and the ones that are currently playing will continue to play. That’s important for track transitions.

My intention is to create a small setup: hapax + 4d, so the hapax will do all sequence job and 4d will provide the sounds.

1. Yes, no problem
  2. Not exactly. Edit: I was wrong, apparently you can.

Feels like the thread has cooled down noticeably. Is it because there’s just not that many out there yet so not that much new to say? Or because everyone who‘s got one is rather making music with it than posting here? Or are we already at the end of the honeymoon and many realize that it’s not that great after all?

You will know all about it once the pre-orders start shipping in early April. Hard to see the appetite for this one fading so quickly after such a successful launch campaign. I suspect mostly promo units are out there at this moment.