New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

This isn’t correct. You can change individual sounds via program changes, no need to change the pattern at all.

2 Likes

I’ve just gone live on YouTube with the SH-4d if anyone wanted to join. I thought I’d create something from scratch as well as share my thoughts after having had it a month now. Feel free to ask me anything in the chat!

3 Likes

Fair enough. Some shops apparently sold it starting a month ago, so I was wondering if there were maybe more out in the wild.

1 Like

Can you record automation without having any steps on a track? So I can send midi notes from a sequencer to the sh-4d but record some parameter modulation in the sh-4d sequencer without notes?

Obviously you need steps, it doesn’t mean that you need notes played on these steps, these are 2 different things.

1 Like

OK that is helpful, thanks. I’m not familiar with Roland sequencers so thought I’d ask.

Yes you can

1 Like
4 Likes

I’m convinced that this is the perfect machine for my workflow. Saving sucks, and the sequencer is as basic as it gets, but it still is a lot of fun and it is also a fantastic midi controller. I use the one of parts in ableton for a VST, and other than using the mouse ocasionally in Ableton, i can control (almost) everything from 1 box; never been able to do this before.

3 Likes

Kink with some improvised jamming on the SH-4d, does a great job showing it’s fun/playable aspect I think.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqVtRQKo1h4/

5 Likes

Post the url and then highlight it and add the link to the url.

1 Like

Really enjoyed that!

1 Like

My own response to the jam I posted above.

I haven’t been sure about the SH-4d and how best to use it (I was lucky enough to grab a version really early so have had it a week or so, but not spent too much time with it yet). I figured some improvised techno from an empty/init patch (like on the Kink video) would be a good way to explore it.

As you can see, even with my limited knowledge and ability it’s pretty quick and easy to get something going with. I find the overall ‘feel’ to be similar to the TR8S (which I loved) but with much more immediate sound design and much deeper melodic options.

6 Likes

How heavy can this thing go? Can it get in to @Fin25 or @Jeanne territory?

2 Likes

I’m away at the moment and don’t have it with me, (though it is portable enough for me to have considered taking it, instead I went for the SP404mk2)…

The SH-4d is pretty powerful synth, with a lot of control and you also have a fair amount of control over the drum sounds so I suspect it can get pretty heavy. There are also a load of FX including a number of pretty heavy drives. However-I am not sure really heavy, noisy, industrial sounds are Roland’s calling card, and it’s probably not its ‘home ground’ so to speak. That’s not to say in the right hands it wouldn’t get there, I am sure it will.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure @jeanne has one on order, so you won’t have too long to wait…

Not my cup of tea though.

1 Like

Mine came in today! Haven’t yet had time to do more than hook it up and power it on, but I’m stoked to try it out this evening.

3 Likes

Ok I’m really struggling to understand motion recording. I’ve tried per-step parameter editing, and motion recording, and… none of it works. It shows up when I hold a step, and nothing changes sound-wise. I’ve made sure “Motion SW” is set to on (and even tried setting it to off as per Loopop’s video).

Overall this thing sounds awesome, but it’s going to take me a long, long time to get used to. It’s much less intuitive than I thought it would be when I was watching videos over the last few weeks.

3 Likes

That is Roland’s calling card!

4 Likes

Yup that’s why I prefer my Elektrons, Moog, Oberheim and Virus over my Roland synths. Between the atrocious documents and cryptic workflow, I’m just not having as-much fun on Roland hardware. Maybe the larger Roland synths are easier to use like the Fantom and Juno X that have better menu screens? I had a nice groove going easy on the Fantom.

1 Like