New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

if anyone finds a nice replacement knob that’s the same diameter as the filter knob and same height as the other knobs, i’d buy one ASAP

1 Like

You know what my biggest gripe with modern day Roland is?

It’s the fact that their customer service/support is still stuck so badly in the olden days. Elektron has a superb support/ticket system in addition to being involved in this forum and taking note of the features requests/bug threads. I’m quite largely invested in the eurorack world also where if you have a question/suggestion etc 9/10 times you’ll just end up speaking directly to the person that made it and discussing how you are using it and what’s going on/could be improved.

When the JX-08 boutique came out, I had a terrible time trying to work out how and where the reverb exists within the architecture because turning it off and saving the patch you were working on would just reapply the reverb when you switched back to it.

I spent literal days trying to find out how/where customer support for Roland was, eventually signing up for several accounts, having to put in serial numbers, having to lie about the shop I bought it from because the only options were elsewhere in the world and then I finally got in touch with a support agent who had never even been in the same room as the jx-08 who suggested I just turn the reverb down whenever I loaded a patch that I didn’t want it on or something equally daft.

It’s such a shame because there’s so much stuff that’s missing or nearly there with the sh4d but whether any feedback from people actually out there using it ever gets through is another matter.

TLDR: We really are lucky/spoiled that Elektron have ways of directly interatcting with them about technical things.

3 Likes

I’ve just fully ignored all the presets, it’s just a shame that you still need to press the right arrow a billion times to get to your user patches.

Yeah, that part is annoying. One would expect user presets to be the first option.

Still haven’t received a unit, however … is it possible to delete all the patches it comes with?

I think someone wrote factory presets were not writable. I hated the Virus C for this.

Patterns, yes. Sounds, no.

Unfortunately not. They’re categorized either by type (lead, pad, etc) or by instrument. The “user” category os the very last one, and it defaults to the “SH4d” engine when opening Sounds. When you’re using a particular engine or user patch after that, it’ll remember what page that preset is in and default to that one on that track.

Anyone else having issues with it loosing clock sync? I have it receiving sync from syntakt and at some point it always goes out of sync.

You can define a startup patch number in the menu. You can scroll through patches with the encoder.

5 Likes

Is there an easy way to copy factory patches to user slots to save a list of my favorites? Would I have to save them to patterns first?

Then i could just set startup patch to the first user slot and never go through 1k factory patches again

This is really a bad news - i hope they will make a firmware update soon

Yeah, that’s the pattern rather than the patch (tone) though, as soon as you change a model or init it changes back to the start of the presets menu.

I’m not really a presets person, I tend to be quicker just building what I want from an empty start. Personally I’d love to be able to get rid of all the presets apart from user ones.

2 Likes

It’s fine. It takes a little getting used to, but it’s not the usability nightmare some are making it out to be.
Think of pattern as “project” and it helps

2 Likes

So it is different from Elektron right(“?

And I was just triggered by Syntakt again… just bought Digitakt ( again ) though… maybe I’ll sell it back for this :wink:

My first pattern with my sh-4d

10 Likes

PSA because I forgot all about it until doing some digging today - there is a master multiband compressor somewhat hidden away in the main settings menu and it can really help moosh all 5 sections together nicely.

3 Likes

Elektron “machines” (like in Syntakt machines), once criticized are now the new thing and Roland jumped on the train.
Good thing for us.
Would have liked this product from Elektron, in Elektron format, but hey.

3 Likes

Here’s a question, had a look through the manual but couldn’t find anything, are ctrl 1 and 2 in the FX section assignable because it feels like their current mappings are quite arbitrary and there’s definitely menu’d parameters that I’d much rather have quick access to with a knob?