New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

Ditto… mostly with the random sequence generator (which is a cool feature BTW, I want that on Elektrons)

I’m aware of OT slider and A4 performance macros, I’ve mentioned them as a good starting point for Elektron above. It would fit Elektron’s mid-tier boxes better, if there was some pre-mapped element to it. I agree that adding anything to the digi box would make things worse. That’s why I’ve suggested elswhere that for Elektron’s next product line, I would love them to give us options: a compact digi or even model: style box (with an integrated battery) and a slightly bigger unit in the form factor of the Analogs that comes with a few additional dedicated performance controls.

Btw. totally agree that reviving ctrl all for the digis as an alternative to performance controls was a great move. But I think ctrl all would be even greater if you could apply it to performance macros where you don’t have to jump through pages.

1 Like

To illustrate the “near p-lock” situation:

4 knobs per step only, but it’s still useful.

1 Like

Agreed. I’ve realized over the last year that I really, really value multitimbral synths - having the ability to sketch out most of a song without powering up multiple devices is just incredible. I’ve found myself turning it on every time I go to write something. If the 4d had multiple output pairs - even one additional pair - it’d be a near-perfect piece of hardware in many ways (UI quirks aside, which I’m getting used to).

5 Likes

Yes, even better if we could directly map any parameter from any track/page to a dedicated macro track, like on Hydrasynth. Maybe just list them next to CCs on midi track. This way they would also always reflect current parameter value (and name).

Dedicated knobs are great, but their number is limited by physical size of the unit (and too much of them would be overwhelming). They work best on simple devices like Models or mono synths.

1 Like

Hello every one
i uploaded a 19min demo on youtube BeatriX BEATS ( Roland SH-4D ) - YouTube

7 Likes

Digitone keys had eight knobs that have one function above the keys that always are the same… one of the best aspects of it.

2 Likes

Excellent!

1 Like

You had me at bwaaah-moo-wah-waaah

2 Likes

Has anyone replaced the knobs on theirs yet? I found this article on replacing the knobs of the SE-02 and I suspect the D-shafts on the SH-4d might also be 6mm but I don’t have a very accurate way of measuring them. The ‘Make Noise’-style Rogan knobs look like a good option if they are.

Anyone figure out how to use the chord model & sequence different chord types (i.e. Maj on step 1, minor on step 2 etc.)?

If it has a midi CC one could presumably sequence that from something else.

1 Like

I’ve not tried but can’t you just hold a step and motion record the chord type?

1 Like

Yep - absolutely this. ^

edit: BUT

It doesn’t seem to work on already recorded parts and changes the chord for the whole pattern. Odd.

Oh, i think I might have recorded the chord changes as motion, so best to stop the seq and change the steps you want I think.

1 Like

for the ones who have it, how do you prevent usb power noise? i have it plugged into a phone charger and that thing is buzzing pretty noticeable

Try different chargers, different power points/outlets, different cables, and you’ll likely find something without noise. I’ve only had issues when I’ve plugged it into USB ports on a slightly dodgy power board for example, everything else has worked fine.

I bought an Anker USB charger, this one specifically. No noise whatsoever from the 4d, even when also powering my Typhon from the same brick.

2 Likes

i found the source of the noise, it wasnt the charger, it was caused by my beyerdynamic 900 pro x headphones, but only paired with the sh4d, not other hardware/pc

2 Likes

Well that’s certainly strange, but at least you found it!

2 Likes

OK, sussed it out, a wee bit convoluted, but it works!

1. Program notes into sequencer

2. Hold each note to enter note edit screen (have to do every note or it stays on changed chord), then move slider to desired chord type for each note (chord type is displayed at top of edit screen)

Another question, any simple way to delete a character when naming instead of having to scroll all the way to blank character?

Thanks