New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

On Elektron if I program 16 steps on a 16 step pattern (1 page) and then increase the pattern to 64 steps it copies the 16 step pattern a cross the 64 steps…can the Roland sequencer do this (when I tried it left it blank)

There is but I can’t remember the command. Have you tried FUNC and <?

Just saw it in Cuckoo’s video shift + <

There are a load of useful shift and direction arrow functions, Shift right adds a space and shift up and down will change between lower and upper case.

2 Likes

As simple as it is, I like the Synthesis Kit in this thing, so I sampled it:

SH4DSYNKIT.zip (2.2 MB)

While doing this, I noticed it has quite a bit of noise and DC offset.

That is super helpful, thank you :pray: Is there some esoteric document where all of this info (not in the manual) can be found? :open_book:

No it doesn’t. The steps you program on the first 16 does not copy over to your extended steps.

So it just adds 16 blank steps? Or it stretches out the first 16 across 32?

It can do either

1 Like

There is a copy/paste function that can copy multiple steps.

1 Like

Yes, seems over complicated compared to the Elektron way….my workflow was always to make a 16, extend to 64 and them make small changes…

Does the mix in accept a mono signal?

I’d be fairly confident in saying that they’re either 6mm (6.35mm to be specific) or 9mm, so as long as you can narrow it down that much you should be safe - those are the two ‘standard’ sizes for the majority of pots/encoders you’re likely to come across.

Thanks! I can confirm that they are 6mm. I bought some replacements from Thonk but like an idiot I miscounted and had to place a second order for the last couple of knobs. I’ll post a pic when they arrive next week.

1 Like

In the Pattern Utility menu:

DUPLICATE STEPS (PART) Duplicates the content of the step sequencer for the selected part, which doubles the number of steps.

• A part can contain up to 64 steps after its content is doubled.
    DUPLICATE STEPS (PTN) Duplicates the content of the step sequencer for all parts, which doubles the number of steps of each part.

• A part can contain up to 64 steps after its content is doubled.

2 Likes

Thanks- that the one, faster than cut and paste-= Its a pity its in the utilities menu a few clicks away…
I assume if you start with 16 you have top do duplicate twice to fill the 64?

I wonder if Roland could be persuaded to add an option to autofill when extending the pattern.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen him loathe something like he seems to loathe the 4d.

5 Likes

You’re so right. He’s trying to remain diplomatic and respectful, but deep down you just know he wants to scream “stupid dumb dumb poop stupid!”. How do I know? Because thats exactly the way I’ve been made to feel when trying to navigate, and program with Roland’s menus. I just dont understand that company. They have such a great IP, but God damn do they refuse to acknowledge the long standing critic of unintuitve menu diving. A lot of people aren’t bothered by it, but those who are, oof.
I’d forgot about the D-Motion. Why? How many people do they expect to be picking up and twirling that thing like it’s a syntar?

Still think it’s a ool little box if you don’t have much, and aren’t too bothered about menus. Certainly wish it was around at that price when I was younger, instead, had to deal with 90s Roland, which was hit and miss.

I imagine they’ll eventually patch a lot of the smoothness issues he was having.

4 Likes

I was considering going for the SH-4D instead of the syntakt because of price and polyphony, but then I remembered that the SP-404 mk2 is still kicking my butt with arcane menus that I have to look up. REALLY happy that I decided to go with the syntakt after watching Ricky’s video.

3 Likes