New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

Best so far

1 Like

It has 4 pages of 16 steps each for a total of 64 steps. When you extend to 32 steps, the next 16 steps are blank. You can copy steps 1-16 and paste it to steps 17 to 32, or select a range of steps (i.e. steps 3-9) and copy over. Each page doesnā€™t have to be 16 steps too. It can be as short as 1 step. There is an option to duplicate parts and patterns too but I find it clunky as it seems to duplicate steps to the max 64 steps. I could be wrong, maybe there is a way to select it, but Iā€™m not sure why this feature is not under the COPY feature but under the UTILITY feature.

2 Likes

Are mutes saved per pattern or are they global?

I really love using this thing, but having to save my current session to a pattern for it to exist is the stupidest thing Iā€™ve ever experienced. I was jamming for an hour and accidentally changed the pattern and guess what itā€™s all gone.

2 Likes

Itā€™s quite common. Electribes work the same way

1 Like

Doesnā€™t the majority of gear work that way?

4 Likes

My Sh-4D arrives tomorrow. Iā€™m embracing the limitations and issues and gonna make some bangers on this thing.

8 Likes

Looking forward to your perspective! Iā€™m really fascinated at how differently everyone approaches this device.

Thanks. My plan is to use it as a Groovebox and then when Iā€™m fluent add in my Perkons for my ā€˜2 box techno setupā€™.

3 Likes

On Digitakt I donā€™t need to explicitly save the pattern before I switch to another one. I do save projects occasionally, or it will get lost on things like firmware update or if I change to another project (itā€™s hard to do this accidentally though). Similar with TR-8s. On MC-707 itā€™s necessary to save changes before turning it off, if I change project it will ask me if I want to save first.

Losing everything on pattern change without a warning is bad design, if thatā€™s how it works on SH-4d (I donā€™t own one).

3 Likes

On all the synths I have ever owned you had/have to save a patch.

The only one thing I own which is auto-saving the whole time is op-z. I like that paradigm but I know a ton of people turn it off precisely for live jamming so tweaks and mangles arenā€™t stored and stick with an explicit save command.

Regardless, I get it is frustrating to lose a patch though!

I think there is no warning because most devices work like that, itā€™s kind of the standard. Elektron is the outlier here. My only other device that doesnā€™t erase the pattern/patch if I havenā€™t saved before change to another pattern is my MPC, but that workflow is so different from most of my other devices it isnā€™t really a fair comparison. It doesnā€™t make it suck any less to lose a patch/ pattern though.

2 Likes

Fortunately based on a ticket I opened with Roland it seems like they are hearing this A LOT so hopefully theyā€™ll find a better way to handle this in a future update.

I get that some people appreciate the flexibility, but speed and simplicity to me is the key to being able to stay in the creative zone. Personally I wish all the sounds were autosaved with the pattern, and the saving of voice patches was optional.

Roland just need to catch up with so many new standard features. Their UI/UX architecture is still stuck from their past Iā€™m guessing. At the same time, something as standard as count-in metronome was not included šŸ¤¦šŸ» The synth is a joy, but a pain to use at the moment. And I thought Elektron was a pain, but now, that standard UI/UX architecture across most of their products seem so elegant, logical and powerful.

Roland just need a collab product with Elektron or hire one of their past wizards then presto!

3 Likes

Sure not saving the session is a mistake on my side, but i feel like the problem are all the shift + x operations. One gets used to pressing multiple buttons fast, even the mixer section is only available through pattern + sound, and muting parts can be done via holding pattern for 1-2 seconds then pressing 1-5. I think that was my mistake, i didnt hold it i just pressed pattern and wanted to mute part 2 but switched to pattern 2.

Roland listened to a lot of feedback regarding the SP404MKII or the MC101 so Roland does listen, itā€™s just that updates take a lot of time (sometimes a year).

Of course it would be better of those functions existed day one.

1 Like

There is more than enough good to outweigh the bad even in V1ā€¦its fun, plenty of knobs and sliders and it sounds great, thatā€™s all I need!

9 Likes

Every demo so far sounds fantastic! Really nice form factor as well for a desktop unit. Letā€™s hope sales are good enough that they warrant SP-404 mk2 levels of OS enhancement.

1 Like

My sh-4d arrived today. First impressions are that itā€™s a nice form factor. Build quality is ok, acceptable for the price. It was quick and easy to start making a pattern without reading the manual. Now to dig in and see what it can do.

7 Likes