New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

Day 2 report - this thing sounds really good with a wide variety of sounds possible. I’m still getting used to the workflow and it is a bit clunky in places, but I’m sure muscle memory will kick in soon. The saving aspect is a nuisance but the template provided earlier in this thread is very useful.

I have noticed the odd audio glitch when selecting the active part - hopefully that is something that will be sorted with a firmware update.

6 Likes

Has anyone else had problems getting parts to mute in the mixer screen? The rhythm part will mute and unmute, and I can mute and unmute individual rhythm sounds, but the synth parts will not mute/unmute. I know I can just use the sliders, and that’s what I ended up doing, but it wasn’t fun to discover this while trying to record something.

Here is a pic of my SH-4d with upgraded knobs. This really makes a huge difference, especially to the cutoff. I got them from thonk.co.uk; if anyone is interested I can share the part numbers.

6 Likes

please do share the part numbers!

Do the old knobs just pull off?

Sure! The pointer knobs are these ‘Joranalogue’ style ones. The endless encoders are these Sifam soft-touch laddies (small soft, item MPN 3/07/DPN10) that look so similar to the Joranalogues that I think they must be from the same manufacturer. And the filter cutoff is this Intellijel-style Sifam plastic knob (large unskirted, MPN DC151). This last one is not soft-touch like the others but you get to choose a colour for the cap. You need 25 pointers and 6 endless encoders.

1 Like

Yes, some more easily than others. For the stubborn ones I used a spudger tool to carefully prise them off.

1 Like

Interested in what you didn’t like about the old knobs? They seem fine to me, although it’s strange that the cutoff is shorter than the others

Yeh, if I did one it would probably be cut-off in the same style but bigger…

1 Like

Does the SH-4D do anything resembling PM/modal synthesis?

Nope.

Despite my initial love I think I’m gonna let it go

The SH is natural for melodic works, but do you use it for more noisy stuff ? Like hard techno ?

“hard techno ?” content here :slight_smile:
🔥🚀 ROLAND SH-4D 🚀🔥 TECHNO PROJECT #1 🚀🚀 16 KITS & 16 PATTERNS - YouTube

1 Like

@AnotherMachines, always relevant !

3 Likes

Another one here with this little beast. Time to learn the manual and learn the structure

5 Likes

Is there any way to have the part mutes be global?

How come?

Well I wanted to test the machine but I also have an MC 101 which on some levels ( ok have no 4th track avail ) it gives me the sound I need and more portable. Im.considering still

Day 4(?) review. I really like this box but there are a few small issues that I have faced.

Part mutes are not global and so that makes it trickier to use as a groovebox (which Roland have stated it is not).

Saving is a pain in the arse. Not enough user preset slots.

Having a scaled pickup mode for the knobs would be nice.

Saving when playing a pattern causes an audio glitch.