New Teenage Engineering CM–15

Their pricing is almost part of the marketing of the product. It pretty much is required to be discussed a bit.

3 Likes

Discussion is different than endless crying about it.

People buy expensive cars even though a cheap car can drive from point a to point b. Complaining about a price that you can’t do anything is pointless.

3 Likes

We can all agree its expensive - there now that’s out the way…

3 Likes

The high price is relative.

true, actually Tula themselves emailed me saying this was not a good mic for band rehearsal recordings since tula mics don’t like loud inputs. I had one but sold it. Nice design but audio quality was meh; and its mainly aimed at lower input signals such as voice or maybe an acoustic guitar. Also, i didnt like you cant really ‘see’ the input signal (because no screen) other than by a blinking light. This will also be the problem with this CM-15 though.

2 Likes

Lets see how the quality is of the CM-15 mic. if its (very) good, then the portability and simultaneous output possibilities might be handy for some (not for me, I’d still go for having 2 mics, 1 dynamic and 1 good condenser and running it through my RME babyface).

For very quick sampling for a track when i’m playing with my op-1 field i think the built in mic of the op-1 is good enough. Nice quality field recordings would be nice, but then again the CM-15 seems not made for that so might aswell go for a zoom H2n then and save 1100 bucks haha

3 Likes

Relative to what? To what TE fans can afford or relative to other microphones on the market? I don’t know any music gear outlet or pro that actually tested that mic.

There is certainly an ongoing issue with mics marketed to do it all. In the real world, no one mic does it all no matter how high quality.

The antelope axino synergy comes to mind.

1 Like

yeah, the only example we have of it so far is the official YT video. And that’s just ‘ok’.

1 Like

It’s not complaining about the the price. It’s the lulz I get from watching people justify/rationalize it.

2 Likes

We are crying with laughter though, to be fair.

7 Likes

it’s very pretty, and I want one, but have I will not

3 Likes

Same here. It’s a sexy mic, I absolutely love the design but I won’t be buying it.

I only partly understand the ridicule TE is getting after every product reveal. Sure, it’s easy to put them into the hipster drawer and a lot of their products come with a high price tag. Whereas people tend to be sympathetic or empathetic in threads where people spend loads on modular, or analog gear, or boutique pedals, TE threads are somehow very attractive to folks who seem to thrive on making fun of things. It would be a bit naive to assume to have a nicer environment to discuss TE instruments here, it is the internet after all, but with that in mind, I wish everyone a wonderful day! Try to enjoy the nice things in life! If that includes making fun of whatever, you seem to be in particular need of some more love, cheers :two_hearts:

10 Likes

Justifying this vanity tax just to comfort themselves because of self-doubt that comes from most likely very irrational and questionable financial decisions. Yep, I think this group are the biggest crybabies :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The people’s mic! Purposefully designed to broadcast one party revolutionary propaganda about Class Compliant struggle.

4 Likes

well said

2 Likes

I haven’t seen many people talk about this, but the capsule itself is made by peluso, who make great high end microphones. So it’s not a complete design by themselves. They are also using a higher end 32 bit converter which was released a few years ago, but I believe was impacted by supply chain.

• 1-inch diaphragm capsule, manufactured by peluso
  • ESS sabre ES9822Q PRO analog-to-digital converter
  • OPA 140 JFET amplifier stage with ultra low distortion
5 Likes

Great news! You can lulz in the official price discussion thread now!

1 Like

This looks very cool and the price is in line with similarly positioned pro audio products (i.e., the AKG C414). We’ll see if it sounds as good as they do, though.

the AKG C414 has >5 polar patterns tho

1 Like