New Teenage Engineering CM–15

true

don’t know if I’ve missed it but no one seems to have mentioned that it is spec’d to record up to 96khz (according to the website guide)…
does this mean we might see a sample rate upgrade for TX-6 / OP-1 to match? is that sort of thing possible with a firmware updgrade or is it a hardware issue?

I think that’s where their new (unannounced) recorder comes in play

I like this! I’m not sure yet if I will buy, I’ll likely try to find some kind of deal (b-stock, etc) but:

What interests me with the pricing discussion is: Akai just released an MPC X with some hardware upgrades that would amount to a few dollars of hardware components, but raised the price significantly and it sits at $2,500 (more than any TE product and more than I bought my M1 Pro 14” macbook 32gb 1tb for) I think that’s unjustified and NOT worth the $.

But the big difference is I’m not over on those Akai threads protesting in the street about it. My purchase is my vote, I’m not even upset about it, Akai can release whatever they want!

It’s just interesting and sometimes annoying that for some reason TE gear pisses people off enough that they feel the need to share that everywhere😂 I think it’s absolutely something that TE has no problem with and I think their product threads here consistently get WAY more attention than other product release threads.

This is a cool ass mic, like everything TE has been putting out it may or may not be for me but I definitely like that they’re doing it.

1 Like

Didn’t knew hiking microphones were a thing.

screenshot from TE-CM15 web page

I think that’s what the Beyerdynamics 1770 Pros use for the headphone cables

1 Like

It’s also what my AKGs use.

1 Like

Audeze too

I’ll be honest I’m not sure what advantage it has over TRS, the pins seem like a potential weak point - I’m assuming it’s mostly just to avoid accidentally plugging stuff in that shouldn’t be (similar to USB A vs B)

As you insert a cable into a TRS socket, the tip hits the S and R contacts before the T. So if you have 48v phantom power on and plug and unplug gear you could have a bad time.

6 Likes

Oh wow cool.

And that is probably the reason why TE don’t host their own community.

1 Like

Ah yea that makes sense! :ok_hand::ok_hand:

1 Like

It does look very nice. Unlike their other recent products though I’m more on the side of “why buy this when something else cost a fraction of the price?”

There’s already lots of field recorders that are close to the same size unlike the OP-1F that often got compared to an MPC, Macbook, Surface, or any other number of things that’s didn’t match the size or feature set, and more importantly things that degrade in value rapidly.

Or the TX6 which only had one competitor at launch (Bluebox) which was half the price but also has half the features. Or people would compare it to something like a TASCAM Model 12 or Model 24 which also is 1:1 product parity and is like 15x the size.

This really just seems like a sexy version of field recorders but has less features (like the Zoom H6 which has multiple full sized XLR jacks and is battery powered).

But whatever, TE does what TE does. Still happy with the OP-1 Field and the TX-6. Probably won’t get the tape recorder either but it’s definitely the more intriguing device of the two.

They actually host a discord server

Nice, can you tell me where that is, I can’t seem to find a link on their website? I definitely want to find out what they do about the inevitable discussion about price.

1 Like

I don’t really frequent discord a lot. But from the looks of it There doesn’t seem to be a lot of talk about price. Maybe people steer away from that conversation on there. :man_shrugging:

you usually get kicked out of your cult if you make fun of it

4 Likes

Why are ppl comparing this mic with hand held cardioid/omnidirectional stereo recorders?! This is a supercardioid mono mic!
Mic!
One mic!

1 Like