New Teenage Engineering CM–15

Yeah maybe… I don’t know… im starting to sense that I’m quiet burnt out on the hyperbole that has surrounded TE in the past. I should just refrain from commenting really…

3 Likes

to be fair, their pricing that can only be expressed in scientific notation is pretty limited to TE stuff. Nothing earbuds are moderatly priced. The Ikea stuff isnt badly priced. Its the TE stuff thats just comical. No matter how much loot you have to just throw away, there is no justification for the cost of that table other than TE lulzing at the people buying it the same way we are.

1 Like

We can pick up in the price complaining thread :wink:

1 Like

It’s apparently impossible for y’all to stay on topic, holy shit.

Regarding the capsule, I see its being produced by peluso, but was it also designed by them? by TE? collab type thing with TE directing? Will be really interesting to see how this compares to other large diaphragm mics

4 Likes

We know where you are coming from, but these things aren’t for free, or we go look at them in a museum, we have to buy them!

Price point and $$ is a major factor for most people. Trying to divorce a product for sale from its pricing doesn’t make much sense.

1 Like

Sure, but reading the same thing over and over (about TE or Behringer) is making the discussion boring/pointless.
Everyone is conscious of the price.
That’s what the original thread title was telling.

Let’s focus on features and quality, as the OP wished.

5 Likes

OP-1 users will be very happy with this :wink:

3 Likes

Alright gang I’ve been reading up on this thing and here is what I gather.
TE is trying to create a product that there seemingly isn’t much competition for (don’t quote me I’m just talking out loud here). This is a portable, hi-quality, mic that can be used by pop up interviewers, podcasters on the run, or any other type of interviewer who want’s a flexible (mini xlrs that are phantom powered 48v, 3.5 mm line outs, USB audio interface) and which can also be powered with little hassle (phantom, battery, usb-c).
I get the feeling that TE is hoping to put out these three products (mixer, mic, recorder) that will appeal to casters, are swank looking, and which can easily be stored on ones carry one. Thus, theoretically you have a “high quality” super mobile studio.
Now the big question obviously is the sound quality, including if there is any noise emitted when powered up with say batteries, or over usb. It has a preamp onboard, and I’d really like to know what sort of quality those convertors are. Until then it’s all speculation, but I understand the plan here, and I get what the goal is.
They appear to really be trying to branch outside of this music producer world, and open themselves up to the ever growing market of amateur, online journalist/podcasters. I especially see this being popular amongst the quasi celebrity crowd who seem to be really embracing and getting into casting a weekly show. I mean, even ex mobster Sammy The Bull is casting now.
All that said, the really nice stand it’s been pictured with is extra, but it does supposedly have an attachment that you can use to attach it on any mic stand.
So, I’m not the target audience, but I am interested to hear/read professionals opinions about it.

2 Likes

There is so much competition for a mobile setup out there, that will deliver at least as good if not greater quality, and probably be more robust. The only real practical advantage I can see for a TE based kit is in extreme compactness, so you can fit it all in a bumbag or something.

2 Likes

lol, I watched the page and missed the first “1” and thought: WTF, thats a reasonable price, I might consider buying that. Then I read here, and didn’t understood all the discussion about the price. Checked back and: okay, typical TE Product, never mind.

4 Likes

If the previous Field kits are anything to go by, it’s going to sound great.

2 Likes

You def get the feeling we will be seeing a lot of the CM-15 amongst the succulents on Youtube videos haha

1 Like

If I understand it correctly, that’s not hosted by TE, it’s a community effort. But it does not show up in my search engine when I search for “teenage engineering forum”, which is weird.

However, I’m not disappointed, here’s the first reply to their CM-15 topic:

TE understands that’s there’s a big enough hipster market with deep enough pockets to make it worth while. Apart from that I don’t see how it could compete against any other microphones in that price range.

There is some, but not as much as in this thread here. But from what I can see that doesn’t mean the conversation there is more engaging. A lot of praise for TE, but little information of value to me, e.g. more information about the CM-15 that hasn’t been discussed here already.

1 Like

I own a Tula mic and like it, but I’m anxious to hear if this thing beats out/competes with the Neumann TLM102 for instance.
I returned the TLM102 after getting a bit of buyers remorse, and listened back to the recording I made in the time I had with it - I was shocked (good) it’s night and day compared to the Tula.

Mic manufacturers really are sort of mad scientists. This is a bit moment for TE to show their stuff!

2 Likes

Totally agree, the Tula is just not a professional mic for music/instruments at all.
but there are benefits to the device, like the usb-c and recording/noise cancelation functionality.

really curious to hear/read how the cm-15 will perform. was eyeballing an AKG C414 but think I will wait a bit till this one is out and compared to other pro large condensor mics

If anything, this thread makes we want to switch up my field recording game.

field recording is another ballgame all together haha, quite the rabbit hole.

the way I look at it if you want to cover all recording grounds you need

• at least 1 good dynamic mic (e.g. shure SM57, EV RE-20)
  • a good condensor mic (e.g. AKGC414, Rode NT-1)
  • a field recorder for out in the wild (e.g. something zoom, with stereo).

no way 1 mic (not even from TE) can cover all grounds

5 Likes

I’m circling around that last dot you just mentioned.

I did a field recording session with a mate last fall, where we went up north to the west coast, to a small cove he’d spotted (but never trekked to, so we almost died hiking there). He had da shit in kit, and the difference was just out of this world. As in that other world, that Delphine Software game from the 90’s).

Been thinking about this ever since (we almost died hiking back by the way), and while I’m not going for his standard, just using the OP-1 Field to pick up birds and rain and shit, maybe I can do better than that at least. And before, I only had the Deluge for these things.

So I’m thinking there’s room for improvement, yeah? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For field purposes (capturing ambient sounds etc), will anyone ever notice the fidelity difference once it’s inside a mix? Are folk just gonna buy this because it looks cool (and it’s TE) when they already have a solid quality studio mic and say, a Zoom for outdoor recordings?