New Teenage Engineering products

@Hawk - No need to swear - but are you saying this thread can only be to praise TE? Are we not allowed to criticise and poke fun at the terrible quality of their existing, incredibly expensive, product line? I love the concept of the OP-Z, but when a product as expensive as the op-z fails to fulfill the promises (cv out, long battery life) and falls apart (oplab, that shouldnt be necessary fo cv, wont stay in contact, op-z bends, double trigs on buttons, encoders falling out, ropey firmware) then I think I am entitled to blow raspberries at the ridiculous hype they are spewing out.

9 Likes

Lol you’re putting those words in my mouth, not me. Makes me laugh that you flagged my silly comment though, and that you think you’re my dad :joy: no no naughty words!

2 Likes

Everybody’s making jokes about the new product, but I kinda respect TE to be able to do whatever they want and (mostly) getting away with it.

I know it’s disappointing for musicians, but they’re a design firm, and their designs are pretty strong (I also just learned that they also did the design for the playdate console).

P.S. I also understand that it’s all the more disappointing to have quality issues on such highly priced object, so I think the criticism is valid too.

5 Likes

No - I didnt flag your post - nothing to do with me - I personally think it should stand - then everyone can make their own judgements on the value of your argument. I replied to your comment. I also dont feel any need to insult people.

1 Like

Oh, you’ve edited your post now
 removing the swearing and capital letters. It looks very reasonable now - well done you !! A+

EDIT: Now you’ve even edited posts below as well as the ones above
 oh, well - hard to discuss with someone who keeps changing the posts after they’ve been replied to.

3 Likes

lol nevermind folks

1 Like

Let’s all work to get this thread back on subject and maybe also reexamine the rules

Further derailing of this thread to talk about flags will just be deleted.

7 Likes

Have there been anymore teasers? Only a few days until the reveal right? I’m such a sucker for guessing-game marketing haha

Total reveal Sept 30, with bits and pieces each Friday, TE has said.

I’m guessing https://www.instagram.com/teenageengineering/ is a good place to check for those crumbs every Friday.

5 Likes

The PO devices look like great fun. How would I hook them up to a mixer? They have different size connection than regular 1/4 inch jacks.

This:

Or this (plus a jack to jack cable):

Stereo and mono options exist.

6 Likes

Thanks yeah would be fun to get a PO and add it to my K-Mixer and add to my tone palette of Elektrons and modular gear.

I thought it was just this overpriced sweatshirt? Is there anything else coming?

That’s what I use, as mixers usually have mono inputs:

2 Likes

I noticed the first posts on the Pocket Operators are about six years old. So if Teenage Engineering says whatever this is, is about six years in the making, one could argue that it’s the result of six years of product development of the pocket operators, now blended into a fully feature portable workstation. The OP-Z was the last dry run and now, they go all the way with all the things they’ve learned from the PO and OP productions into a next gen portable music workstation.

Essentially, the OP-2, if not in name but in concept. It’s even possible their clothes line-up would be a dry run in that direction as well, to test out waterproof and other durable texture concepts.

5 Likes

That would be the best case scenario. I will keep my expectations low, as TE products are very hit/miss in my opinion. I do really like the op-z and only a few minor gripes keep in from being perfect.
Same with the op-1 actually. If TE would release a version with 6 stereo tape tracks instead of four mono, include a few new effects and modulation options and slightly more control for the synth and drum engines, I think this would already make a perfect portable DAW.

Despite my criticism I have bought the pocket operators and had a op1 .
They do interesting things but can be very overpriced for accessories

I’ve barely used them after the initial novelty 
 I wonder if the new launch will be any different for me.

I think it’s worth remembering that Teenage Engineering has a presence that extends outside the music industry. Their collaborations, those known and those not known, reach far wider than gear made for and by musicians. As such, it’s difficult to know what to expect from them, since we’re not always the target audience but generally love to presume that we are :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They have reached way beyond our musical instruments sphere as they are a highly regarded design company that is worth much more than we imagine.

However, they seem to still have the in-house personnel to make forward thinking musical instruments so they might aswell still do it.

I dont have any POs anymore, still have an OP-1 (still useful) and an OP-Z kicking around (they still updated the fw recently so there is hope), didnt bite on their eurorack attempts either, anyways they somehow still manage to interest us

2 Likes

As far as marketing goes, they’re still one of the best in the game. They post a few pictures on a van and couple of fellows by a lake and the forum’s ablaze. Don’t know any other company who can create so much tension and affection by simply designing a rain coat. I’m pretty sure they know exactly what they’re doing and for whom.

4 Likes