New Teenage Engineering products

That whole po-30 line was awesome. I may have to check out the 32 to pair with my 33.

1 Like

Yes, but thanks should go to the Microtonic creators, not TE.

3 Likes

true, but who knows — maybe they’ve contacted don buchla’s spirit for this new one.

2 Likes

The op-z is kind of a super po, if you think about it.

4 Likes

when utilizing USB midi with a Raspberry Pi you’ll never ever run into midi issues again.

it’s the rock solid pendant to the mid 80s standard and a raspberry pi is about 25 bucks, writing that crontab with the midi table is about 5 minutes.

1 Like

…with the IKEA fräkvens drop there has been some information about a Tent like structure which easily clicks together in some kind of Art.

my broken memory delivers information about a guy asking TE while presenting something at that time and TE mentioned that the tent stuff will also make it to a product…somebody?

Maybe they have branched out, but I don‘t think the design of their recent devices is very good - at least not in a Dieter Rams kind of way.

2 Likes

if it’s the OP-2 I hope the first shot is the side of the housing made of Aluminium with a bigger screen and the whole OP-Z with module slots included.

basically adding twice as much voices from both devices

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve always thought the OP-Z made way more sense when you considered it to be the premium device in the PO line. They probably would have had less confusion from people expecting another OP-1 if they had released it as the “PO+: Spinny Edition”. The punch in effects and overall design aesthetic make it feel very similar to the PO units.

2 Likes

big time

The thing with the OP-Z is that it got delayed a whole year. Which ramped up the price of the device by 200$ it was initially set to cost 399$.

I don’t think the device would have been as divisive if that was the price tag

7 Likes

Half made Calculators and tv remotes don’t even count as design lol

3 Likes

I’d buy it (again) for $399.

If this new thing is a tent, I’ll be sad. I already have two that don’t get any use.

5 Likes

That reminds me, I should buy microtonic. I have a PO-32 as well but haven’t fired it up in a while.

1 Like

The opz is a great unit and it handles a lot it’s for multitasking hybrid setups :pray:

2 Likes

While I definitely find the whole TE aesthetic to be pretty laughable, I think they know their demographic really well and spend a lot of time on design, even if that means leaving features out. That’s why they can sell the POs without a case (cutting production costs) and then still sell the device at a pretty high price. No matter what we might think of ourselves, knob-twisters and synth-heads are highly susceptible to targeted design and marketing, and even if the TE look doesn’t appeal to you, I bet some other company has devices that better fit your idea of what a “cool” device should look like.

Example: I have a friend who was trying to decide on a groovebox to buy and was dead set on an OP-Z despite it being outside his price range. Based on what he told me, he also didn’t need half of the features of the OP-Z. He mostly just wanted a sampler. I suggested the M:S or MPC and no matter how much I talked through his use cases, how they might be better suited for the kinds of things he wanted to do, he’s convinced the right device is the OP-Z. I’m mostly certain at this point that it has to do with the aesthetic and design of the device. He definitely admitted that he thinks the Model series devices are ugly. They kinda are, but that doesn’t stop me from loving mine :slight_smile:

I think TE knows that a lot of synth people are very superficial and want their devices to look “cool” and “hacky” like the POs. And before you laugh at the whole premise of any of us being that vain or superficial, remember that most DJs and live performers really make a show of twisting knobs when the song really could mostly play itself :wink:

Personally I think the most annoying thing about TE’s design is stuff like the POs, where the lack of casing caused actual problems with the device (the encoder knobs are really jumpy if you touch the solder on the back of the PCB). I say more power to them to do whatever hairbrained designs they come up with, but they really need to make sure that functionality and durability is first and foremost. If it sacrifices durability in favor of looking cool, I’ll pick durability every time.

I’m hoping that the outdoor hints are a way of hinting at a device that is rugged enough to take a beating, because they sorely need to focus on making more durable, reliable devices.

4 Likes

but… Elektron devices are one of the most beautiful on the market. TE devices have this quirky coffee table gift kind of look which was getting old 10 years ago.

4 Likes

The product I would want from them is, taking the 4 track idea from the op1 and fleshing it out into just a modern digital 4 (or more) track workflow. No need for synth engines, maybe give it a decent mic also so you can do field recording and acoustic instruments. Really doubt it but it certainly would be cool from a quick song writing perspective as a lot of people resonate with the op1 workflow but less so the sound of the built in engines of their devices.

3 Likes

I have sausage fingers, couldn’t use one of their little sound calculators if I wanted to.

Joking aside though, my best mate is fairly disinterested in my music making, but then messages me a video of some pair of hands waving about perilously close to both a cactus and an op1 making some bog standard bleepy shit like it’s the best thing ever saying “you should get one of these!”

I lost a lot of respect for him that day. And he learned some new swear words.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s it, an outdoor collapsible coffee table from TE! Great place to setup my DN while jamming in the wilderness!!

2 Likes