New Teenage Engineering products

It’s pretty awful that so many have had problems regardless of whether folks are more careful or not … I don’t mean to insinuate that problems arise due to heavy handedness. There must have been bad production runs? To be honest I started being way more careful with the OP-z after reading about so many bad experiences.
Of course I’d be super pissed off if the encoders started popping up etc…
I’ve read quite a few posts on different forum’s where people experience issues but if I count the amount of people compared to the amount of units they must have shifted I really wonder how bad the manufacturing issues are?
If it was so bad across the board TE would have no option but to do a mass recall on their products or they’d be in a whole lot of legal trouble for selling dodgy gear.
Maybe someone should start a survey on OP-Forums (and elsewhere) to try to find some semblance of the scale of these issues.

From a reliable source, on Facebook.

“It’s just an op-1 with a higher resolution display so you can see the Cow in all of its glory and maybe even change it to a moose”

16 Likes

“MSOOE” (pronounced like moose)

2 Likes

I was exactly like you with my op1. That’s why I sold it in the end. It was too delicate and I bought it as a travel device. Im looking for a replacement and the trash m80 tracker is looking like my perfect travel piece, or the nerdseq tracker.
I bought my op1 brand new with extended warranty and a deck saver and travel case, sold it 3 years later for nearly exactly the same I paid new :grin:

In the meantime, there is a lot of shared kits on YouTube and Soundcloud.

1010Music Blackbox is an awesome piece of travel kit :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s the plan. To try those first.

5 Likes

It’s a universal remote control. Comes in solid red, yellow, or blue colors.

4 Likes

Don’t forget the optional PVC bag!

1 Like

A bit blown up (from the emailed image) for nerds who might be able to give some insights:

(click for biggest version)

@darenager - what can you decipher?

1 Like

I can’t see clearly enough to discern any parts, not that they would mean much to me. The two white blocks on the left sorta look like switches of some kind. Those exposed traces on either side of the TE logo are also curious. Seems more likely that it is music related, which is exciting.

1 Like

I thought it was a computer part at first, like a sound card or some PCI thing.

The pixelated out bit looks like a wifi module like an ESP8266?

Two antennas on PCB.

3 Likes

They signed off the drip as “The XX-4” team

So OP-4 seems a common guess.

Another possibility… some kind of OP-1 expander/dock. Sitting underneath the main instrument and connecting to the i/o ribbon?

1 Like

My guess is a wireless speaker, based on what has been shown so far. Maybe with audio over wifi or Ableton link?

4 Likes

Six years development for a wireless speaker?

Is this the portable stem player Kanye West was talking about in collaboration with TE???

2 Likes

I think thats indeed a good catch.

1 Like

I did think that too at first but the scale of the components would make the PCB a bit too large.