New Teenage Engineering products

maybe its a hybrid of the op1 & opz but with increased outdoor capabilities.
like somewhat lite waterproof and an external speaker thats better than the previous.
maybe rechargeable lithium battery, etc. idk.

The ikea ones have the STFM32 family of microcontroller on them for controlling things like auto shut off and handling the encoder functions, it looks like those are on the teaser pic, also used in Pocket Operators.

2 Likes

Iā€™m guessing some sort of sync hub with bluetooth. If they made small BT receivers, you could conceivably Sync POā€™s remotely and of course the OP-Zā€™s already have BT. Maybe USB as well for OP-1 sync.

The outdoor hint made me think solar powered.

I just have such a hard time believing they would do a 1 month long hype cycle for a bluetooth speaker :grimacing:

They canā€™t be that dense, right?

3 Likes

I think it is an ESP32 wifi module that is blurred out.

unnamed

1 Like

Its a cool speaker that connects the whole world. People machine

10 Likes

what a DOC, photos and everything!

serious Braun vibes.

Ouch, I got the mini Frekvens speaker ,which is fine. I passed on the othersā€¦this just looks like one they kept for themselves.

Teasers for a speaker. Unbelievable scenesā€¦:joy:

7 Likes

Welp, thatā€™s that! Kudos to whoever tracked down the radio test images, that puts about 20 nails in that coffin :rofl:

3 Likes

They really got me with those rectangular mounting holes! Dimensions were real close too.
Turns out that just mounts the board to the top case of the speaker, where the controls reside.

My wallet is happy I had it totally wrong. Now, back to my Octatrackā€¦

5 Likes

Hopefully it wonā€™t have the extremely inconvenient auto shut off of the aux and Bluetooth inputs which causes the speaker to go into standby after a ridiculously short amount of time.

The problem with this is that if using it for synth playing this power save feature means that unless there is continuous audio the sound will be muted, resulting in missed attacks on notes with space between them, kind of a PITA.

I found a hack on my Ikea Eneby which defeats this, it involves removing a SMD resistor, kind of a hassle but worth doing if this one has the same dumb power save scheme.

Basically the resistor is connected to a pin of the microcontroller and ground, so after a few seconds if the signal isnā€™t greater than ground potential (i.e silence) the microcontroller shuts off the amp to conserve power.

2 Likes

Amazing (as in underwhelming). Will they just go ahead and announce/release it now? That doc is far too detailed to be fake. So the teaser is dead.

4 Likes

SIX YEARS for a BT speaker?!
:thinking:

7 Likes

Maybe it kicks out festival-level dBs??? :joy:

5 Likes

Haaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahha!

A speaker.

From now on, can we just refer to all ridiculous marketing bullshit as ā€œpulling a TEā€.

11 Likes

Could this be any more underwhelming?

3 Likes
3 Likes

there must be something special about it that we donā€™t know yetā€¦hopefully

for instance theres a tape encoder at top, what could that be for?

(im trying to resist thoughts of it doubling as digital reel to reel with lights spinning about the subwoofers like the instruo lubadh module :roll_eyes:)

4 Likes

Whatever theyā€™re doing seems to be working as they keep doing it and this wonā€™t change that.

1 Like