New Teenage Engineering products

Do you mean ‘Ambient, Metronome, Karma’?

I’ll be dead honest, as nice as it looks (Bang and Olufsen eat your heart out), I’m disappointed this isn’t a synth. A very strange focus for their attention right now.

Yep

I quite like the ambient feature. The rest I could pass on.

2 Likes

For sure! I do wonder, tho, if it’ll be varied enough for long listens or if it’ll be the kinda thing you use once then never bother again

1 Like

Agreed. For random ambient listenings, these days I lean on generative stuff like Jarre’s Eon, or Brain Eno’s Trope / Bloom. Or just stick on Waiting for Cousteau and zone out happily.

2 Likes

Picking through the features a bit.

‘Ambient’ seems to be extremely similar to Paulstretch, with added reverb. Which is admittedly really nice, but already available as a free plugin.

That time-stretchiness apparently also forms part of the ‘remix’ section. The only other feature listed being a looper.

‘Karma’ (recorded spiritual mantras) and ‘Metronome’ (hi-def!) are some of the sorriest excuses for features I think I’ve ever seen

That’s basically it.

I wouldn’t find it hard to believe that someone at TE has got into Paulstretch at some point and figured out a way to re-package it for €600.

1 Like

For those complaining about the price, please note that this is made in Czech Republic. This is kinda nice to see. Of course could be that China manufacturing has become more expensive and also Czech cost of living is quite low and it might be cost effective to manufacture there. I think the price is more comparable to hifi equipment than normal consumer electronics.

Also I don’t think TE owes anything to us synth enthusiasts, they are free to do what they want.

7 Likes

Can anyone explain what the ‘Remix’ feature is supposed to do?

It’s a real boiler room move

https://teenage.engineering/guides/ob-4

Thanks. I’m afraid I still don’t get it though. What is considered remixing? Making a loop?

Same here.

A funny thing I keep seeing in this thread is people saying TE is a design company that just happened to make a decent synth. But

op-1
Oplab
Op-z
10 different pocket operators
2 modular synths

Clearly there is some focus on synths, let’s stop pretending TE is some brilliant design collective and not a synth company too. It’s just an excuse to keep giving them a pass for a lot wtf moments lately.

5 Likes

We all have different perspectives. As has been said before Jesper at TE considers 50% of their business to be selling speakers. For some reason people in the synth community don’t seem to pick up on that… So this product seems to me to be a logical crossover :slight_smile:

2 Likes

well they technically are a design company as they have commissioned all sorts of designs for other purposes (eg. custom dj sets for virgil abloh, custom stem player for kanye etc) and no-one claimed they were “some brilliant design collective”

and if thats not enough that list can easily be matched with

od-11
ob-4
othro remote
playdate handheld console
polaroid camera
te ikea speakers
te ikea turnable
te ikea camera
absolut choir installation
‘r’ speaker
‘h’ speaker
and more…they literally have more speakers then they have synths lol

I get your perspective in that they have obviously found the most fame/acclaim for their instruments and thats what we want them to focus on, but if you had to put all their products under one category it would definitely be “consumer electronics/audio/design” company rather than just “synth” company

it seems they take more from dieter rams era braun then say elektron

6 Likes

The have 14 different instruments, do the have that many speakers?

But that beside the point I was making. TE is is both a synth/electronic instrument and a design company. Lately, as TE seemingly stumbles, “it’s a design company” seems more of a defensive statement rather than something positive. Discounting that electronic instruments are a large part of their “thing” also just seems like defensive statements for TE company.

I guess I just wish it seemed like they were truly innovative again.

1 Like

This thread is a graveyard, should be locked maybe, people are just bickering in here. This speaker is kind of cool and kind of lame but it’s just a hate-fest in here.

5 Likes

I have no desire to support TE’s high design fantasies after dealing with their customer service regarding my OP-Z. That being said…if there is an iOS app that does what the “ambient” setting seems to do I would buy it. If one exists please tell me.

Ever since resampling on MDUW I’ve been wishing for an easy way to instantly Paulstretch and pitch down audio on the fly. Honestly I just want to feed it classical music to help me sleep.

Typo or some awesome thing I’m missing out on? Please say it is the latter :slight_smile:

Edit: ah, the super long time stretch program. :+1:

3 Likes