New Teenage Engineering products

Sorry, it was a messy comparison.

This speaker looks beautiful but its not for me. Also my feeling says there is more to comeā€¦ something thatā€™s complimentary to this speaker. I thought after this announcement plus the teasers and pictures that they used this speaker in the field/nature to test other stuff that they are making :slight_smile: I could be totally wrong but i still have hopes for a nice portable instrument in some form that gets approval by the likes off Justin Vernon :slight_smile: !?

An unprotected speaker on a portable Bluetooth speaker is not a 600ā‚¬ design choiceā€¦ And the 400ā‚¬ leather bag still leaves the speaker unprotected.
I canā€™t help but wonder how long until this happensā€¦

4 Likes

Thatā€™s just analog sound enhancement. Makes it less digital!

3 Likes

non-linear effects for the win!

1 Like

to play devilā€™s advocateā€¦if that happens, itā€™s not like it affects the sound, right?

All the features in 2:40

4 Likes

I still canā€™t see why this took 6 years to develop, let alone why it costs so much.

1 Like

Magic

11 Likes

Exactly!.

1 Like

A line-in is so not Teenage Engineering.
Must be the aspect they spent years on.

1 Like

Bang&Olufsen-inspired petrol cans next? With an optional $500 funnel?

1 Like

:joy:

It takes six years to graduate Hogwarts.

5 Likes

ā€œOB-4 continuously memorizes everything you listen to on an endless looping tape (rolling 2 hour recording). Rewind, time-bend and loop at the flick of your fingertips.ā€

I think this is a cool idea. How would you record the output of the OB-4?

3 Likes

Damn, 6 years in the making and they forgot to add an output plug!
So close from the magic, and then snap, like, that, gone.

11 Likes

With their next release, a magic recorder, the OB-5, starting at 1000 euros. I think the OB-6 will be their polysynth flagship.

5 Likes

Yes, if the idea is to use it as a looper / instrument, this seems like a glaring omission. Maybe itā€™s more special if only the 5 people at your forest jam get to hear the one off performance? It does look like it could be fun and it seems like it could generate some interesting happy accidents, but why no output? Is there a USB? How do you get the recordings off?

2 Likes

Youā€™re right! How can I plug my Sansa Clip+? It doesnā€™t have any Bluetooth connection.

And how does this OB-4 charge, for how long?
I guess 2:40 was too short to cover all the features.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still left confused about who this is for. It is definitely at least interesting, but Iā€™m not sure what the use case is.

Letā€™s say you are hanging out with friends. How often do you have the radio on? I imagine most people today just have their devices streaming Spotify in the background.

And if you are intending to ā€œperformā€ something, wouldnā€™t you want an actual instrument? The performance features here donā€™t seem to be very practice-able.

Seems a bit more like a $600 one-time party trick.

Ok , so from that video. It doesnā€™t do DAB? Ok not for me now. Insanely expensive for what it is now. It should really have a few modes for that price. Never mind the fact a few countries only have DAB now.

1 Like