New Teenage Engineering products

not many OP-1s - still rare, original boards in OG models
even more rare

I wonder what TE would be like if they matured and stepped away from all that hipster nonsense?

Who was insane enough to buy the OP-1 at that ridiculous jacked up price?

2 Likes

You mean an OP-1 with more professional capabilities?

1/4" Input &output, midi, more professional UI, was twice the size, better keys, and a better screen?

Even then I canā€™t see the price being realistic.
They are a swedish company though, so Iā€™m sure a lot of the costs were justifiable at first. But after 10 years? Nah.

Petition to rename this thread ā€˜TE bashingā€™

5 Likes

ā€¦and quantize function . . maybe ?

Probably boring? :smile_cat:

6 Likes

No quantize? :thinking:

So you have to free record everything and then tape record it & hope for the best?

What is this all about. Even all midi data boxes had quantizeā€¦

The only recording is the tape recording. There are a few options for quantised step sequencing on the OP-1 (eg drum pattern sequencer, and an SH-101-style ā€œendlessā€ sequencer), and you can mark bar positions on the tape to snap to, but the whole thing is centred around the four track virtual tape recorder. It would be totally different with a piano roll or other non-destructive midi editor. I would go so far as to say it would be a lot less interesting.

4 Likes

Like Iā€™m a teenager again, cracking out metal demos on a possibly stolen portastudio. Good vibes!

3 Likes

I love the 101. But the 4 track concept sounds fun. Same as the Tascam. record, bounce & repeat?

3 Likes

Exactly like that. Cut, copy, paste, bounce, overdub.

1 Like

I can see why itā€™s a cult classic then for those old & young. Very traditional.

Recording is always live and permanent (unless you delete), but always in sync with the various sequencers. So you can use the 101 mode, or the traditional grid sequencer, to prepare a sequence and then record that to tape in sync (itā€™ll start recording when you hit a key to play the sequence). Once itā€™s on tape, your only editing options are those youā€™d have with real tape - you can splice it to delete or move parts, resample to change the pitch / speed, overdub etc.

You can certainly create a track without having to do anything live or unsynchronised, but youā€™re still doing it all in the context of the OPā€™s ecosystem. So if you want a song mode, youā€™ll be recording sections to the tape and then copying and arranging them.

For me, the beauty of the OP is that much of the time, youā€™re working with audio rather than sequenced data. The tape model is at the heart of the machine, and it works well and is still reasonably unique, mainly because nobody else has gone all-in on the technique, limitations and all. Itā€™s a shame itā€™s so expensive, because it really is fun and inspirational.

1 Like

But thatā€™s all TE threads on a long enough timeline :smiley:

TE releases DIY modules which are SUPER affordableā€¦ some of these looks really cool!

3 Likes

Itā€™s weird that you need to get panels elsewhere, but yeah so cheap!

yeah i didnt notice that at firstā€¦

But this has me thinking that you could probably 3d print some crazy synth design and plug these in thereā€¦ that would actually be pretty cool.

1 Like

Or, make up the modules then have one laser cut panel made that holds them all.

I like the idea of these but the modules arenā€™t very exciting. Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™d put together here, especially as theyā€™re not eurorack out the box

it seems theyre aiming for a more DIY instrument approach, which i think is really cool tbhā€¦
they made a blog post about it.

now - teenage engineering

So the psu is Ā£49, the power strip is also Ā£49. So thatā€™s a Ā£98 starting point.

Youā€™ll need probably 6 modules minimum to make an instrument at Ā£29 each.

2 VCOs, mixer, envelope, lfo, filter
1 VCO, noise, 2 envelopes, lfo, filter

So Ā£272 with no case.

Could be fun, but Iā€™m not sure how much youā€™d have at the end for the cost.

Once youā€™ve added a case and the Ā£49 sequencer youā€™re in used Mother 32 territory (which granted is one vco)

1 Like