New Teenage Engineering products

I think one of the first things I’m gonna try is to see if the TX-6 will work as an Audio Interface for Maschine+. That would actually be a pretty dope setup for me.

Really brainstorming reasons to justify this purchase :joy:

5 Likes

The manual mentions „usb can also be used for multitrack recording to a daw“. You can switch between 2+2, 12+0 or 0+12 (in+out).

It works on iOS as well. Mentioned on the product page.

I never got much I liked out of the OP-Z’s synths, except the drums. It’s still my favorite instrument after my guitar. I just use a lot of samples instead.

Actually, the Rhodes is pretty good.

Does it mention AISO drivers for PC or is it just for iOS Mac? 12+0 seems a bit weird to me, normally 12+2 if your monitor speakers or headphones are in the mixer?

:man_shrugging:t2: to be confirmed I guess.

The 1010Music Bluebox can be powered by a Ripcord and a powerbank.
The current version is 1.1.2, 1010Music has updated it 6 times since the release 16 months ago
Does TE update their products, add new features with that frequency ?
It also allows record out, into separate track/stems onto a standard microSD card.

I cannot fathom why TE decided they wanted to price it almost twice the cost.

This was a misstep IMO, or a salvage and pivot, It looks like a leftover effort from the Kanye West collaboration

I adore my OP-Z, and quite like the new Line out module. But I have a very hard time thinking I would give up the BlueBox for the TX-6.

Based on the release statement that this is part of an emerging product of field recording devices.
I would guess they will release a recorder that would compete with the Zoom HN4/Sony PCM-D10 ?

2 Likes

Yes, 2+2 (standard), 12+0 and 0+12…I would have expected 12+2 and 2+12 for monitoring on the mixer tracks from with whatever you are recording into?

If they had built in stereo mikes and made it record to SD they may have had a useful ‘all in one’ product. I think it will be hard for TE to compete with the sub £200 Zoom HN4 if they introduce a separate field recorder, the Zoom HN4 is both cheap and superb IMO…perfect for field recording.

The OP-Z is a completely different machine than it was at launch. Sampler, new engines, lots of great stuff.

And the OP-1 got audio over USB after ten years! I’d say TE is probably top of the firmware update league.

2 Likes

You may be right, info is scarce, but to get the sound back digitally from the phone/computer to the mixer, wouldn’t it need to be 12+2?

Yup- OP-1 got great updates, probably on Elektron delivered a better major new features after launch (My trusty A4 and RTYM MK1). It’s possible this mixer has RAM and could record, although a MicroSD slot seems the way to go if that was your aim…lack of built in mike seems a mad omission (especially as OP-1 and Op-Z both have them?) for a portable device, but it seems like they want to sell you a ‘field recorder’ separately.

Agreed. TE does experiment, and improvise. and that is what makes their products compelling.
Has Roland changed the MC-101 that much since it has been released, as compared to the OP-Z?
No.

2 Likes

this is what worries me about the the whole “field system” bit they left out of the product page

I think TE and elektron are neck and neck when it comes to drastic experience-altering fw updates (comparing my time w/ opz & digitakt) i thought that there might a real possibility TX-6 gets hidden recorder exposed by refined firmware at some point. Seems like it might be a seperate add-on instead

Anyway, we’ll see

Tho micro sd port seems like a no-brainer they seem to prefer built in flash memory for there machines

on the other hand i’m glad this has no built-in mics or speaker…i’d much rather have the existing i/o

m1 headphones (presumably anything with trrs connector) allow for using the cue jack as mic port

weird but cool feature

it seems like you are happy w/ the bluebox (cool setup btw)

why does existence of the tx-6 bother you so much??

4 Likes

They definitely were better early on though. To me Elektron and Novation are at the top. TE is a tier or two below.

They used to drop a major update for the OP-1 yearly. I had an Op-1 before CWO dropped and that was and exciting time. Last new synth engine to drop was Volt in 2016 though and then it was silence, probably cuz they were working on the OP-Z but even then, I feel like updates for all their products are much smaller and spaced out now.

Still, turning the OP-1 into an audio interface 10 years after release is bonkers.

2 Likes

for the age of op1, comparable updates for the octatrack would be expected…but they’ve both slowed down considerably

it’s probably more fair to look at digitakt (or one of the other recent synths) from elektron with recent stuff made by te

it’s wild how much has been squeezed into the last updates including external mixing/sidechaining, more lfos, new filters and extended tuning range etc for DT

opz hasn’t been far behind tho w/ plenty of updates & core features overhauled over time: progressively revamped sampling and input routing, usb audio interface, microtiming, and various midi i/o refinements

neither company is slacking on updates which is really exciting as a fan of em both

Does the TX6 send and slave to MIDI clock/transport? I don’t see that anywhere in the features. To me, that is must have feature for a mixer like this.

It would have to do it via bluetooth (if at all) I think as the USB will be plugged in to the recording device and there is no hardware midi port.

1 Like

BLE is only transport though not clock.

1 Like