New Teenage Engineering products

Really? That is crazy, and limits their usefulness significantly.

An order of magnitude better, in theory it should sound great.

2 Likes

Ā£1200 to record to your phone? Why would anyone want to mix on something so tiny with no real screen? Something this tiny seems a nonsense if you are plugging in 6 external synths and how are you sequencing them? Sorry, still makes no sense to me as an existing TE synth userā€¦I was happy to pay what some considered premium for the OP-1, but I just cant find a single sensible reason for this being so small other than ā€˜showing offā€™, a few inches bigger and a bigger screen would not have made it any less portable and it could so easily have had OP-1 tape record internally and a built in mike - it could have been something creative and useful.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the main reason I havenā€™t bought a Model 12

Iā€™m just saying that I can record to my phone and transfer them to a daw just as easily as I would with a card.

1 Like

I wonder how well it can handle ā€œno inputā€ tasks. Iā€™d love to be able to realistically consider hour long sets with just this.

1 Like

Here is a nice short video showing Bluebox which I guess will be a main rival as a mixer at least )its not currently a computer I/O but records internally and if you want to go portable you need a USB battery pack). If nothing else it shows the importance of having midi sockets and class complaint USB midi for syncing everything (and internal fx like delay) Being able to name imports and see what they are called on a screen is also very useful!

I just cant see how the TX-6 works in practice if has to be plugged in to a phone to record as there is then no midi for sequencing/syncing the 6+ synths? Does it only do midi over BT? Once the mixer is plugged in the phone (or whatever) how do you sync non BT modules/synths

It does midi over BLE and USB

And yes syncing non BLE products without a OP-Z will be a problemā€¦

All though I donā€™t see syncing as a really big issue personally, I probably wonā€™t use time based effects as it is I probably would use saturating effects

Time will tellā€¦

At first I was like ā€œNO WAYā€ but there is something about this TE mixer that keeps calling me :joy:
I donā€™t own or have ever had the desire to own any of the current teenage engineering products but this is a really a thing of beauty.
But $1100 is way too much ( for me anyway)
My wish increase to size of apogee duet 3 > larger interface (screen , faders, knobs etc) 1/4ā€ i/o and ability to record to media(SD, MicroSD etc) more options for sample rate like 44.1 and 96k.
Reading the feature list it looks like routing is very flexible , love the dj mode/crossfader option, rechargeable battery is a big plus.
I own Fireface UCX II compact amazing unit , audio interface , stand alone function, multitrack recording via usb and of course great conversion, no rechargeable battery, no faders or knobs. An apple to oranges comparison but at $1500 for the RME its hard to justify the TX6
Decided to keep my 828es but maybe I sell it and put money towards ā€¦ or better yet take the kids out of private school ! :joy:

1 Like

I just dont understand why people are comparing a mobile 12/12 audio interface and mixer with faders and knobs, to a 6/3 digital mixer and recorder. Theyā€™re different things.

Thatā€™s not a value judgement, itā€™s just, I donā€™t really see it. If one of them has the features you want over the other then, thatā€™s what you want.

For me neither are right, but I wouldnā€™t try to say ā€œhey just get an Audiofuse studio for xyz lessā€.

3 Likes

TE is a polarizing company, I think that is all that needs to be said.

2 Likes

For me, the key issue will be sound quality, headroom, quality of fx, etc. For any kind of live or recording application, this should really make the difference. I look forward to honest reviews of this device. Looks really small and fiddly, though.

A used ssl six insteadā€¦ Sounds way better decision.

2 Likes

I think at best weā€™ll see a Cuckoo video and maybe a Red Means Recording or Andrew Huang video but I doubt it. Loopop hasnā€™t done any Teenage Engineering products.

I think RMR is trying to get away from TE, definitely trying to get away from the OP-1 cuz even though his OP-1 videos built him they pushed him in a box.

Cuckoo is the only one that Iā€™ve seen actually make a video with the OB-4. I know itā€™s a different thing than an OP-Z butā€¦ so is the TX-6.

Anyways, this is all speculation. I think largely my point is that I donā€™t see this getting the onslaught of videos like most synths nowadays get. If it was gonna get that it would have already.

2 Likes

the six is battery powered???

1 Like

Do you know if there is anything about the ā€œenginesā€ in more detail? I still use and love my OP-Z but the onboard sounds are not great to say the leastā€¦

The reason Iā€™m asking is because to me, they just sound like looped wave forms, or samples. They donā€™t sound like any digital synth engine Iā€™ve ever heard.

At many stages of mixing i like following my ears rather than visual feedback

Not for everyone but itā€™s a positive or preference for some folks

3 Likes

I think youā€™re selling it shortā€¦ Iā€™ve made some patches I really like on the OP-Z.

For instance the default synth sample sound (which you get when you activate sampling on a patch slot) is awesome for bass sounds

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure. I just find that there is a harshness that I donā€™t like. It was a great little travel Buddy when I first got it, but now Iā€™m underwhelmed. The double trigs are a buzz kill. Apparently there is a fix, which I havenā€™t tried yet. Iā€™m just sour on it these days. There are interesting elements, but the build and the sound are let downs for meā€¦ The mixer looks cool, but seems overpriced. I just think Iā€™m done with TE. Iā€™ll move onā€¦

But is it anything more complex than a looped waveform or sample? I can get better results too with filtering and onboard fx but itā€™s something Iā€™ve always wondered since buying it.

Theyā€™re referenced as engines, but are they actual synth engines the way Cycles, Microfreak or Plaits has different engines?

I think this is more like using DT to loop a waveform.