New Teenage Engineering products

Well said. I was also thinking, that by choosing to make it more custom and costlier, they’re able to manage how many they sell in a way. With supply chain issues still ongoing, I doubt they wanted to get into a situation like too many companies are in, where they can’t supply fast enough for the demand. Small synth makers are still unable to finish their projects, and even Roland is unable to get the SP404mk2 out there fast enough. With the TX-6 being this pricey, it will sell less but that gives them the freedom to fulfill orders while still being profitable.

3 Likes

If they capture the raw unparalleled musical essence like they did for their OP1 and Pocket Operators with this mixer (not necessarily the OP-Z), then they can price it what they like because there will be no substitute. They don’t always hit a home run however, but when they do it’s the most fun I’ve had making music. They make the best techno music instruments in my view - evoking a fascination with technology during the music making process like no others.

If I see them updating the firmware to include pocket operators sync (on one of the audio outs for example), more advanced synthesis, more effects (even some from OP1?), disk recording (assuming it has some storage), super flexible routing with inputs/outputs and so on - then it becomes a tiny super flexible mixer wrapped up in a bundle of fun in a way only TE know how to make.

We shall see… if it’s an overpriced flop it’ll alienate TE’s key group that purchase it as it’s so expensive - it’s a gamble pricing it this high as expectations are also super high now.

I was unimpressed with their OP-Z due to its build quality, more specifically the oplab midi module keep disconnecting and is very fiddly. I will give them one more chance, but if I have more problems I’m out for good.

2 Likes

yeah, that´s a good point, i didn´t consider that!

1 Like

Good points. There is a possibility the TX-6 is an attempt to change course a bit by TE. Aside from the build quality mentions over the years, I think the Pocket Operators—no matter how fun—may have built expectations that TE mainly makes small and cheap (sub $100) machines. Kind of hard to address to the idea of better build quality while also not being stuck making budget synths for the foreseeable future. As you mentioned it may be a gamble, but if it pays off, this new Field System of theirs might be amazing.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say TE have a course they just do what they wanna do and whatever is fun. Their pocket operators just because they’re cheapish doesn’t mean they’re iffy (they are quite durable) nor does it mean TE want to focus on cheaper products. They’re unpredictable, have the comfort to do what they like if it’s fun for them, and lot of the time it’s a labour of love (op1, po33) where they have an almost obsessive engagement with a product outside of simply making a profitable item. If tx6 gets this obsessive treatment (long term) thatll be OK.

Elektron are similar but they don’t quite evoke the same wonder with their instruments. They can be a little like programming a scientific calculator, instead with TE give you the funky formulas and you just go to plug in some random numbers to get good results. I mean Digitakt still doesn’t have an Arp!? But it has overbridge… Do I want to manually program an Arp with Elektron sequencer in 2022?! Don’t think so. Anyhow i side tracked myself this is a mixer we are talking about after

2 Likes

I posted these questions to TE I think they’re key for me to determine the usability of this mixer:

Is it possible to split a pocket operator stereo audio/sync signal using this mixer and send out just the sync via the cue/aux outs to another pocket operator which feeds its audio to another mixer channel? This way we can capture 2 synced pocket operator audio signals in the unit… perhaps the TX6 has it’s own sync signal that it can feed to pocket operators from one it’s channels considering it already has a sequencer built in? These are the kind of additional TE features that i’d like to see to somehow justify the cost, otherwise once we stick an iPad on the end of it we can get all the features with a cheaper interface like TC Helicon Blender and software: high quality eq, effects, routing, synths

Does it have onboard storage memory and if yes, is there a chance we might see a future firmware update to include audio recording (something like the OP1 album track) ?- even if it’s just to cover one/two songs. Multi track recording would be fantastic, but mix out will also be useful… portability being a key factor with the product, this would make a lot of sense to record my pocket operators/op1 on the sofa… tethering an ipad or a recorded on the end of it will kill the portability element for me… if it doesn’t have it’s own memory, then perhaps a USB stick might be possible?

1 Like

Apologies, if my comment came off as offensive. I definitely see the appeal with the tx-6, and a few years ago, I would have needed something pretty much like it. But if it were twice the size, it would still be very compact, but much nicer to use, I would assume.

6 Likes

That 'sticking out 'on/off switch seems like a strange design choice?

3 Likes

Just doing some brainstorming… Am I correct in understanding that cue and aux can be used as additional flexible audio out routing channels?

For example
Synth in CH1 In > AUX out > External FX Processor 1 > CH2 in
Sampler in CH3 In > Cue out > External FX Processor 2 > CH4 in

I also understand that it’s possible to have audio from ipad (synths etc) routed to the mixers individual channels via usb… making for an interesting hybrid setup mixing soft and hardware synths for hands on control on the mixer.

ipad synth > CH1
OP1 > CH2

ipad click sync signal >
CH3 > AUX > OP1 sync in
CH3 > Cue > PO33 sync in

The only minus that I can see is either 12 in or 12 out for ipad/computer setup, we can’t mix say 8 in and 4 out (in case I want to send out a signal from software for external fx processing/sampling and recording back to the ipad).

Any thoughts on how this little mixer might be able to fit in your workflow?

For me the interesting part is combining pocket operator sync signals with ipad synths and external synths, combining external effects via cue out, and customising potentiometer actions (fx channel handling reverb length, another channel filter etc).

One key element I hope they haven’t ignored is being able to disable the main mix out and having only usb as audible (like the digitak usb audio option) so we don’t have duplicated audio from usb and main out. Both the OP-Z and OP1 unfortunately don’t have this as their main output is always audible.

EDIT: i think they catered for this looking at the manual! That’s good news
main out source:

• ext - usb input overrides main output.

• mix - the signals are mixed together.

2 Likes

Agreed, not a big fan of that. Hopefully it’s sturdy and takes some force to turn on. Reminds me a bit of the odd on/off switch for the OPZ.

No sampling? No song mode? It’s 2022 people!

4 Likes

I think I would be more concerned about actually turning it off if I was using it live! Maybe its one you have to press and hold for a few seconds with like a 1-2-3 on the display before off?

Either way- it sticks out, it may get broken on a portable device, a flush push and hold switch would, make far more sense!

2 Likes

Agreed. I’m sure some cool cases will be made that might hide the switch better. Creme Caffe is probably already on it.

yes, under the heading AUX OUT the manual says:
pro-tip: aux out can be used to create an external effects loop, routed back into one of the inputs.

you have some great ideas and all seem totally doable based on what’s been shared

I can see myself using in it many ways because of it’s size, portability and feature set. Not needing a power cable will allow me to place it in spots i might not otherwise be able to fit a mixer/fx pedal

Some mundane ideas:

• between my turntable and wave radio to have precise eq and filter controls nearby, honestly i’ll probably put it direct ON the radio since it’s small enough
  • connecting my two laptops for digital synth sessions (old one running max/msp and sc patches into the newer one with all my mixing & mastering tools)
  • an effect pedal for recording acoustic and electronic drums (like my nord drum 3p or simmons sds)
  • no input mixing solo and in tandem setups with my other mixers (mackie 402 + allen/heath zed 14)

Expected use:

• as a hub in the TE system i’ve got (along w/ op1 + opz + zm4 + m1 headset) mainly for creative audio routing but also sequencing the onboard drums, adding vocal fx with TX cue and recording to individual channels in ableton
  • same thing with my elektron rack (DT/OT/AH) esp with heat and octa as fx sends
  • paired with my synth skiff via attentuation (i have sample manglers and fm synthesis in that setup, should fit well with TX capabilities)
  • recording to external devices (minidisc, norns, iphone, mixpre10)
  • also can record to mpc live (~500gb drive installed) or connect em via bluetooth to sequence tx drums

I have plenty more ideas but you get the picture. Also since it keeps getting compared to other gear…for me it’s mainly replacing or augmenting the job i usually reach for a mackie 402 since it’s small and has a long power cable

Without worrying about finding a power outlet and having more i/o channels (plus direct connection to laptop for tracking ) i’ll be able to jump into making music more quickly. More i/o also allows me way more feedback options which is a key element of my music

4 Likes

I don’t understand how you sync the OP-1 with an audio cable? For me the OP-1 is not like the PO33, you need a usb hub for syncing

1 Like

yeah actually the patch would have to have op1 leading sync to have them all match tempo

i have no clue how to send click sync into an ipad but it might look something like this:

ipad synth > CH1
OP1 > CH2

op1 po click sync signal (from splitter) >
CH3 > AUX > ipad sync in?
CH3 > Cue > PO33 sync in

Cool! It’s one of the cheapest things I’ve bought for music but literally feels indestructible and i use it regularly side by side with all my other gear

Hope you enjoy yours : )

1 Like

Theres an option on the tempo page to have the left (or was it right?) side send out a click for PO sync. This makes the device mono though.

Edit: but its only sync out

1 Like

I don’t know if it is possible but you could use a usb c hub for the OP-1 to send sync through usb to iPad app with Audiobus. And use a split audio cable to send directly the click to PO. Same way with an OPZ with oplab or line in module, this way you sync the OP-1 through usb.

1 Like

I’d get a 1010 Bluebox and save or spend $500 on something else. I’m happy with my 1010 Bluebox that I bought last year and has better user interface. Love my OP-1 but the TX-6 is way overpriced. That tiny screen looks challenging. Still, if I was filthy rich and had money to burn, it could be fun.

1 Like

Agree I’d rather get a new Syntakt and money left over or pay a bit more for a Rytm MK2. The Bastl Dude mixer is a bargain portable mixer.