New Teenage Engineering products

What should i use it for??

Bluebox is a mixer and recorder. I use mine to record modular and synths then import songs from the sdcard to my DAW.

oh ok

so the bluebox cant record multitrack to a daw?
btw do you have any music online where i can hear the recordings??

1 Like

Bluebox is a standalone recorder for better or worse (but obviously it records stems so you can transfer them to a DAW if you like), great for general mixing duties capturing jams or live performances.

If you are recording to a DAW any audio interface will let you mix in the DAW, I have an X32 but I still end up using the DAW mixer most of the time, I cant even be bothered to use it as a control surface, once you have your hands on a keyboard and mouse it often seems slower to take them off to move a hardware slider!

i mean, good for you. im glad for your sake that you have a workflow

But you dont really know if the workflow is better since you havenĀ“t tried the TX-6.

to me the blubox workflow looks horrible, but i dont actually know if it is horrible, because i havenĀ“t tried it. Blackbox was ok to use (the piano roll was horrible though).

each to their own and so onā€¦

2 Likes

Still busting for a good review of the TX-6 which isnā€™t this

1 Like

I have and love all the same gear there, but I donā€™t agree that frequent updates are a sign of a superior product.
1010music has suffered from bugs at launch like the issue with midi sync launch on record. Thereā€™s other things like allowing cue to be used as an additional send that were afterthoughts.

As you have an OP-Z Iā€™m sure youā€™ll agree itā€™s very well thought out. To me comparing 1010music to TE makes 1010music look very basic and their products as early betas.

Iā€™m not saying TEā€™s mixer is better. I still think itā€™s a strange product that doesnā€™t make sense at its price point vs existing mixers and options.

I just donā€™t think frequent updates are always a better thing. Iā€™m a fan of stability and less need for updates.

3 Likes

How has this thread just become a load of people talking about the bluebox, which is a completely different product with a different intended use case?

5 Likes

Its a small line in mixer with fx that records multitrack, possibly the only comparable present at present. Sure, it doesnā€™t have an audio card and TX-6 cant record without another device attached, but quite comparable for a lot of mini synth or Eurorack users.

Anyway, there isnā€™t really anything else to add on the TX-6 until we see some user reviews, we are missing a lot of basic information about how it works.

K Mix is a real competitor.

8 in 10 Out USB sound card

Midi controller

built in Compressor, Equalizer, Reverb and no moving parts

itā€™s compact and sounds really good

7 Likes

we dont see alot of ā€œnope Polyend Tracker is better, have more buttons and is cheaperā€ in the m8 thread, do we.

TE seem to have this ability to draw out the ire in people.
Yes, its expensive, i gave a feasible hypothesis as to way and why Bluebox isnt.

YES i get it, people love their Bluebox good for them. im gonna try out the TX-6 and see if i like it. its almost time for me to mute this topic tbh

8 Likes

Iā€™d definitely get a blue box.

Whatā€™s a blue box?

2 Likes

Silencio :shushing_face:

6 Likes

Bluebox doesnā€™t record multitrack as an audio interface.
TX-6 doesnā€™t have onboard recording.
The fact that they both have mixing capabilities doesnā€™t make them in the same class of device. They have different use cases. As Johnny Ego said: Kmix is a better comparison.

2 Likes

Why are comparisons a problem?

I have never seen gear get discussed without comparing it to other options.

Not every thread has to praisefest.

Everyone benefits when gear is criticized, even early adopters as well as non adapters who might up with a future competing product

Maybe Elektron makes their own as there is a market for small mixers that can be used by both eurorack users and everyone else.

If your were to state all the reasons BlueBox is cheaper, Iā€™d likely agree with you. I have it. Itā€™s not perfect. Even BlackBox costs more so there must some line of thinking/reasoning this isnā€™t 1010musicā€™s flagship product.

TE definitely picked up on some glaring omissions from BlueBlox like a sound card and internal battery. Criticism pays off in the end.

2 Likes

to reiterate

the blue box ONLY seems comparable to a large group of people (like you) who are uninterested in what the tx-6 really is

iā€™m fully aware of what the blue box can do but already have tools for that kind of workflow: norns + mixpre 10m (a vastly superior recorder w/ better preamps and feature set)

blue box is not portable
cannot act as an interface
doesnā€™t have per track compression

i donā€™t need it
my choice was intentional

If i went into a thread for 1010 Blue Box to complain that it doesnā€™t have an open source rewritable firmware, or XLR ports, or full-sized DIN midi, or an internal batteryā€¦who does that help?

Days on from the initial and natural comparisons/reactions to TX-6 there are people repeatedly pitching the Blue Box to those interested in TX (to the point of sharing videos of their setup to convince people they overspent and donā€™t need what TE is offering)

Thatā€™s weird and tiresome

8 Likes

The TX-6 is not uninteresting, its just a fundamentally bad design and overpriced ā€˜in my opinionā€™. Obviously others will have a different opinion!

Bluebox is just another option for some people (obviously not you!) and interestingly the TX-6 is being discussed a lot as ā€˜competitionā€™ on the Bluebox Forum. Its great to see more choices in the small mixer format. Personally I use an X32 which definitely isnā€™t portable but ticks all of my boxes.

4 Likes

Something that has me really curious (and, as mentioned, would justify the expense) is what those ā€œcustom-made encodersā€ are made of. If they were just garden variety potentiometers, itā€™d be really hard to get them to feel smooth and accurate at that size (for the same reason people sell ā€œknob upgrade kitsā€ for, like, the Subharmonicon). Feels like TE wouldnā€™t go forward with a project that showcased 18 of these babies unless theyā€™d figured something out.

Also that screen looks next-level.

Honestly, you could mute one or two accounts and keep the thread.

1 Like

Have you seen the 1010music forum? Thereā€™s repeated request for internal batteries and an audio interface among other things.

Also one big differenceā€¦ this isnā€™t a TE forum, just a subtopic.

Anyways, I think everyone benefits. Likely there will be a new BlueBlox at some point and itā€™ll be interesting to see what they release after all the feedback.

Cool, that makes sense if 1010 manufacturer or design is open to feature requestsā€¦I have no idea because iā€™m not in the market for a 1010 box and never been to their forum : )

To my knowledge, no TE R&D reps are scanning the complaints/suggestions so iā€™m not sure how that type of chatter will change the product

Fair point

Weā€™ll agree to disagree. Again I think itā€™s normal for Blue Box to crop up naturally in convo or comparison from time to time

Whatā€™s odd is for the 1010 discussions to persist when not welcomed. All good though, carry on!

1 Like