New Teenage Engineering products

Ah well no. XLR does not fit in the TE design language :slight_smile:

My LOM Usi Pros require 24v to work with my H4n. Do the mini-Jack versions work without phantom??

interesting!
then i doubt this could work for you

i have an earlier version with minijack connectors and it works fine with pip

1 Like

These illustrations appear to show the bottom and side of the unit.

The top likely has a screen

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: that made me smile for the first time today

1 Like

Haha that what I get for not reading :sweat_smile:

To be fair I had to zoom in :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not even going to attempt to read through over 1500 posts (especially on such poorly designed forum software that doesnā€™t use page numbers), and I canā€™t search for something I donā€™t know the name of, but what happened to that reel-to-reel thing they teased some time back?

I might be mistaken but Iā€™m pretty sure it was a TE thing.

And before anyone suggests it, no, Iā€™ll not be able to afford a reel-to-reel by TE, but Iā€™m just curious to see how itā€™s going and what price they dared to put on it. Theyā€™re selling the OP-1 Field for 6 times the amount they could sell it for in my opinion, so I dread to think of how much theyā€™d charge for a reel-to-reel, a product I think theyā€™d probably price at around six grand.

it wasnā€™t made by TE
you can relax now :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

I am perfectly relaxed thanks, but out of curiosity, why wouldnā€™t I be?

i donā€™t know

Relax man. Iā€™m a TE fan.

But only in so far as I appreciate the design of their products, but not the outrageousness of their pricing. Iā€™m hardly the only person who feels that way, either.

Itā€™s a double edged sword really. On the one edge, as much as people hate on TE, I think respect is deserved over the fact that their products are capable of demanding such prices. However on the other edge of the sword, the pricing is clearly creating a group of people who are unwillingly being alienated against TE by the pricing.

Iā€™m a perfect example of that. Iā€™d absolutely love an OP-1 Field, damn right I would, but the pricing is so blatantly outrageous now that Iā€™d be embarrassed to claim that I own one!

Theyā€™re selling the OP-1 Field for 6 times the amount they could sell it for in my opinionā€¦

Out of curiosity, what do you think of the price of the mass-marketed iPhone 14 Pro ?

I donā€™t know how much it costs and to be frank, couldnā€™t care less. I canā€™t stand Apple so wonā€™t be buying one anyway.

My first, only and current iPhone developed two faults within a year of buying it. And although it is still soldiering on, once it dies itā€™s getting flattened by a sledge-hammer and will be replaced by a privacy and freedom-respecting Linux-based phone instead.

1 Like

Curious to hear how youā€™ll maintain your privacy on an android phone running google apps

1 Like

Not sure if youā€™re saying in its current form it should be about the same price as a Circuit Tracks or Behringer Neutron or most guitar pedals, or if you mean had it have been designed differently it could be as cheap?

Based on comparisons above, I think you need to adjust your idea of blatantly outrageous.

Iā€™m absolutely with you on being too embarrassed to own one at the price theyā€™re at. I think with some different design/manufacturing decisions it could probably have come in at a similar quality at two thirds of the price and could sell a heap more, maybe.

2 Likes

I paid the same for my moog matriarch as I did for the op1f. Both beautiful and innovative instruments. I use the op1f more, I treasure them both equally.

I rarely hear the moogs price complained about.

10 Likes

I think also if you look into both devices guts they will be a lot different.

MOOG using premium of the shelf parts and TE using parts designed by them selves.

The sheer volume (parts produced per year) difference between the two is a big cost signifierā€¦ 1.000.000 produced per year vs 1000 produced per year is going to have significant cost difference.

4 Likes

One will certainly be more repairable in the long runā€¦ but they are very very different products

this is what irks me

whether TE should just use off the shelf parts in their design is up for debate but Moog could far more easily lower their price than they can

perception of each brand obscures the reality

because the price isnā€™t actually offensive

most people are being hypocritical about tech costs and TE is a lightning rod for controversial opinions

it is what it is

3 Likes

Absolutely. As I understand it the main driver for this from TE was the way they were forced by the supplier of the screen to change screen, due to the fact that TE was the only OEM (original equipment manufacturer, a broadly used term for companies that produce devices, cars etc for anyone wondering) who used that specific screen.

I fully understand TEs point of view as a person working in RnD for a company who is large in its specific field but battle with Automotive giants in the supply chain.
We are basically at the suppliers mercy just for the fact that Wolkswagen has a yearly volume 10x to us. I recon TE has similar relations with the supply chain and Samsung and its likes.

3 Likes