New Teenage Engineering products

:joy: :joy: :joy:

rapidfire thoughtsā€¦

of course we donā€™t know for sure but i thought the same when i checked the schematic and this would be a HUGE concern

might not be a deal breaker but iā€™m worried about that already

this was my 1st impression and it still blows my mind that after the popularity of op1 tape it may have taken almost two decades for TE to capitalize on this

iā€™ve wanted to ditch the sequencer & synthesis on op1 for a dedicated recorder with the same UI, same battery life and larger storage since i first played with the OG

if this is finally it then iā€™m intrigued to see whatā€™s crammed inside

Just my opinion, Iā€™d hoped the TX would have multitracking but I also wished for a dedicated te field recorder with phantom power for mics and other stuff

Knowing this is on the horizon, it might have been a mistake to try implementing features that a modern recorder should have on a TX sized screenā€¦only time will tell whether the front panel controls and other features of this TP7 make it more than a glorified cash grab

It could go either way cause I was somewhat underwhelmed by specs of OP1F

I guess all might be revealed in coming weeks at superbooth

5 Likes

:joy: good one!
Actually, itā€™s the other way around for most of the TE stuff that I own. I immediately dismissed the ob-4 when it was announced and now I own one and am really happy with it.

1 Like

So with you on this, mate.

1 Like

btw i assume the weird looking handle is for wrapping cables, maybe? or a whammy bend effect?

knowing te it will attach to some sort of accessory

seems odd

I would expect itā€™s some kind of mounting/attachment hardware, maybe a stand.

1 Like

Could be, but now that I had a second look at it, my guess would be a forward/rewind function to scrub through the recording.

1 Like

I also thought about that, but since the placement is on the side of the unit, it would be a bit awkward. But itā€™s TE, so anything is possible :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I thought it was some kind of belt clip lol

So are we assuming this will be previewed at Superbooth the next week or so? Or is this schematic / patent upload indicate this is very far from release?

1 Like

Maybe its to fasten with the TX into a single unit?

Just spitballin cause I have responsibilities that I donā€™t want to do.

1 Like

Could also be an I/O cover of some sort, but doesnā€™t really look like one and we already see where most of the I/O lives in the second picture. MicroSD is below that I assume. Probably a mounting point for attachment, especially if you want to use it to route audio into a camera.

I would be semi-interested in a product like this but it depends on the price point & features. Looking at a Zoom H6 otherwise but some of the cons there for me are in the form of replaceable batteries & USB mini port.

1 Like

Talking of which - does anybody worry about the TX-6 battery life longterm?

Without being too much of a pessimist, most good field recorders already can multitrack as well as have real phantom powered mic inputs on themā€¦ not just a 1/8th inch input for mics you will need a real bulky converter forā€¦ I suspect the real utility and greatness of this and the mixer together comes from the label that says designed by teā€¦ maybe it will be great?
I donā€™t get what it could add that we donā€™t know that is earth shattering though when you can see pretty much what it is about from the external pictureā€¦
Sorryā€¦ Iā€™m just really sick of this companyā€¦
It seems like everything they do is annoying to me these days.

Do we know it doesnt?

Maybe itā€™s just not your thing? TE seems to be fine with what theyā€™re doing. Ignore themā€¦there are bigger battles.

5 Likes

No, but that would significantly eat into battery. Iā€™d be surprised if a device of this size did phantom power. Of course weā€™ll have to wait for reveal to have confirmation.

I assumed it would velcro to the back of the OP-1F? :laughing:

Jokes aside, looks like another interesting product and hopefully will get to see some videos of it from superbooth. :crossed_fingers:

Hopefully this and OP-Z Field

2 Likes

My guess is it is a audio player first but has some recording functionsā€¦ a bit like a walkman version of that bluetooth speaker they made that had rewind on it.

Well its called the TP-7 Audio Recorder so I reckon thats primary and playing back secondary

3 Likes

i have phantom power on my 20 year old portable minidisc player which is the same size as tx field mixer (and presumably tp7 too)

it runs on AA and using a mic doesnā€™t drain them rapidly

i believe the same pip (plug in power) is possible on a portable rechargeable device like this but who knows

reading between the linesā€¦yeah we know it doesnā€™t cause that person seems to be referring to 48v thru xlr ports (i could be wrong)

of course it wont have that built in but can still be very useful and appealing for loads of people with, for example LOM mics sporting 3.5mm connectors

2 Likes