New to MD - Sampling Question

Hi there,

I’m a relatively long-time Elektron user, but I just got my new-to-me MD Mk II UW+. Owning the A4 and AR, the workflow is very familiar.

I messed around with it for a few hours last night, and I’ve got all the basics down, except for sampling from external sources.

Here’s my main question: how do I set things up inside MD so that I can just sample, say, 10-15 seconds worth of music, as opposed to the one-bar limitation that’s discussed in the RAM-machine tutorial (pages A-15 and A-16 of the manual)?

Thanks!

Aaron

Theres a 2 bar limitation but it depends on the tempo you sample at how much you can squeeze into 32 steps, i like to sample old time radio shows [https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio] and by sampling at 30bpm you get a bit more time but for percussion/drums try sampling at 1/2 speed, 1/4 speed etc…

Thanks, that’s very helpful. So, basicially, once 32 steps have elapsed, that’s it, right? Therefore, by decreasing the tempo, you get more time? I think I’ve got it now.
Thanks! :joy:
P.S., Thanks for the link to the old radio show site. I’ve been looking for royalty-free spoken-word samples that sound “old.” I’ll have to check it out.

Spot on m8, no problem…

Alternatively, make the sample in your computer and transfer it.

Probably a good idea, and perhaps easier. The MD is janky as a sampler of external sounds – other than external synths and drum machines.

As I found out last night, it’s quite fun (and easy) to sample a beat from the AR, and then mangle the crap out of it in the MD. Sprinkle in a few hits from the MD’s internal instruments, mangle to taste, and you can create beats that sound absolutely nothing like the original. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last night I used a very “vanilla” beat on the AR, sampled it, mangled it, and it turned into this raging monster of a beat. Loved it!

lets hear it.

^^ yeah man let’s hear it

Let me try to get it recorded tonight! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

cool :+1: :+1: