New Underworld

Honestly still worth going to see, they’re not afraid to play all the classics (but in a way where they still sound fresh) and the sets I’ve seen have been fairly light on the newer stuff (which might be unfair but they know why we’re there really :joy:).

Seeing them at Village Underground (fairly small nightclub in London) a few years back was incredible.

2 Likes

For someone not massively into Underworld, Beaucoup Fish, purely because it has the bangiest bangers, but with more filler tracks.

Second Toughest takes a bit more getting into, but it’s a more rewarding album in the long run.

Dubnobass is good, but not as good.

I struggled a bit between 100 days off and Barking, but I liked Barbara Barbara, even though it’s pretty bonkers and there’s a lot of bangers in the drift series.

6 Likes

Thanks from me too. I need to revisit them. Something about them didn’t fully click for me back in the day, despite having some truly breathtaking moments (that last third of Cups…my god).

3 Likes

I felt in love with their tunes when I was teenager. Born Slippy, Pearl’s Girl and Moaner had heavy influence on my music taste.

My favorite is Push Upstairs.

One of the best experiences I had with this song in the past was, when it was running on tens of TV screens simultaneously in one of the big electronic markets I was shopping in.

1 Like

Got into Underworld in the summer of ‘95 when there was a Justin Robertson mix tape on the front cover of now defunct Select magazine (UK). This track excited some particularly important neurons.

That then led me to:

Great stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks! I grabbed 1992-2002 years ago and liked the anthology. Beaucoup Fish didn’t grab me as much (which makes sense for an album :D). Will try Second Toughest next!

1 Like

Moaner was the best part of that entire shifty Batman movie from which it’s soundtrack I first heard it.
I wonder if this is the last hoorah for them? They still seem to have a great time on stage, and Hyde hasn’t lost a step in hyping the crowd up. I don’t think it’s too unreasonable to expect them doing one more album/tour.
Would have been mad if Emerson came back to do one last album.

Massive underworld fan, but i havnt liked any of their material since the Everything tour. Its all been lacking in the distinct drive and raw vibe that Emmerson brought to the group.

1 Like

Dub is their best album. They had limited financial success at this point so it was a long hard slug of love to get it done and it shows. The original sounds better than the remastered version on a decent rig.

5 Likes

This track is great! I love Underworld, but didn’t expect a 2023 track to sound like this. Very tasteful, and very much the Underworld sound I love

1 Like

I’m not gonna listen to the new track until an album is released. 4 minutes of Underworld is not enough for me. :no_good_man:

I’ve been a fan of this band since rolling around summer nights on back country roads with my head in the clouds listening to this masterpiece:

But I’ve also liked most of what they’ve done post-Emerson when they started stepping away from the format a bit; I think Lovely Broken Thing stands out as one of my all-time faves.

Yeah kinda agree, it’s not that the newer stuff is bad but it’s not as good. There are a few nice tracks though… Beautiful Burnout, Jal to Tokyo and Scribble are all nice IMO. And I rate their new stuff more than I rate Orbital/Chems/Prodigy’s

1 Like

I dig this big time - back to the spirit of how they broke through with dubmyhead, - Way more up my street than what the Comical Brothers are up to these days (or pretty much since they were the Dust Brothers) .

Loved their early stuff but not liked much in a long time since Emerson left.

Saying that will always give them a listen and interested in what they’re doing. Track in this post is ok, nothing exciting though solid enough.

1 Like

So who’s tuning into YT to watch them tonight? Also Sasha and Digweed tomorrow, but I’ve no idea what they’re playing these days. Hopefully not some modern progressive toss.

will definitely give it another watch (nearly took a quick trip up to SF to catch them on their off-night show). for many years i also thought “well they’re not really Underworld without Darren” but rediscovering many of the post-Emerson bangers of late made me revise that opinion. that said, the way they used to build up into Rez live during that era really is just untouchable

4 Likes

watching weekend1 of UW coachella atm, it sounds like theyve refreshed their set / tracks.
will watch chem brothers after

01 - Juanita 2022
02 - Two Months Off
03 - Dark & Long (Dark Train)
04 - King of Snake
05 - Rez/Cowgirl
06 - And The Colour Red
07 - Born Slippy.NUXX

The crimped hair is a strong look.

1 Like

Nice Pearl’s Girl B-side.

2 Likes

Not too fussed on the new single but got me listening to the old stuff!!!