#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

Does it count if I decide to get something this year, but buy it next year?

1 Like

It arrived today (on a postage swappit.) what a sound. It is like it has a distortion/warmer built in. And the manual. swoon.

4 Likes

threeMagi

6 Likes

Was just ordering some long cables from Thomman to patch my Moogs into the Pulsar…wasn’t happy about paying so much postage for such a small item…sooooo…
I bought a second DFAM, with days to spare :upside_down_face:
(perhaps a bit of mental offsetting going on since me and the fam decided not to travel to the UK for Christmas, so saved a few quid on flights and PCR tests)

I actually wanted to take my SubHarmonicon out of the 3 tier rack because it seems to suck my attention in and I much prefer playing it just on its own.
So I’m adding an extra DFAM for the jam factor.
All of a sudden my current setup got pretty drummy!

2 Likes

The idea is to ground-up reconsider our relationship between our limited time and planning for creation over consumption… being more mindful.

Not as much sin/redemption worrying if something is “ok” or “not ok” or selling and buying to a net neutral state.

What are you doing with what you have? How are we rethinking our scheduling and environment to allow for better art?

It goes beyond the research->fantasize->buy->wait->learn->sell->research loop, it’s not just not buying gear. That’s but one diversion and way to tread water.

We all know how we work and our antipatterns, so just muse on how you work best! Take the time and meditate on how to challenge yourself.

8 Likes

I got ruismaker noir. Now I have a DFAM for sale :rofl:

4 Likes

It feels a bit lame to do this but I got to opt out. I realized there’s no way I can actually fulfill this since it’s going to be a part of my business to use synths for sound design, reviews, tutorials etc. So there’s probably going to be a situation where I end up buying something next year.

:man_facepalming:t3:

5 Likes

Damn, sad to see you go, but it makes sense. And good luck with your new path :+1:

Removed.

1 Like

So I fell off the wagon today, but I figured that it’s okay due to it being vouchers I got for Christmas so technically I didn’t buy it :sweat_smile:, nothing major just a launch control xl to pair up with the iPad and the launchpad pro, and I got engaged today so now instead of saving for a ring I’m saving for two rings and a wedding so I’m definitely totally on board still… merry Christmas to all of you…:santa:

8 Likes

Boo! Hiss! We now expect a video on this topic!

4 Likes

Congrats on your engagement!

2 Likes

I so much want to be part of this but have a fear that the Mac needs to be updated to Big Sur and my UAD fw will no longer be supported…I may need to update to Thunderbolt :confused:

2 Likes

That should be covered under the caveat of replacing broken stuff I think.

4 Likes

Ok, then I’m in!

7 Likes

Because I’ve just gotten a Subharmonicon that I’m absolutely in love with the sound of and have barely scratched the surface of, not to mention that I’m now at capacity of inputs for my 4i4, I’m in lol

4 Likes

I’ve added both of you :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Hey, maybe don’t opt out fully, if it’s something you gotta get for work, well who could blame you, but you could still apply the mindset on your personal stuff? And even maybe as much as possible for your business, but in a reasonable way. It’s just a matter of asking yourself “can I do this with what I have?” and if your gear doesn’t allow you this for work, of course buy the thing you need, but if it’s for your personal stuff, switch to “well I have this other thing that can do something similar”. It could even be a welcome relief from the business mindset. But even for work and good business practices I believe it could be a good way of looking at thing. A master of a few tools.

6 Likes

You’re absolutely right. That’s definitely the plan. Also business wise sustainability of the venture is most important .
Always have been focussing on a few specific tools and that always worked out well for the live performances etc. so that’s certainly how I plan to keep doing things personally. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

In the spirit of full disclosure, a little update on the curious twists, turns, and manifestations of wisdom and stupidity (and I use the latter term not to berate myself, but because my own mis-steps are often my greatest guru and therefore not really mis-steps).

I previously mentioned casually throwing in an extra DFAM upon ordering some long patch cables from Thomman. The next day it soon dawned on me just how unnecessary the DFAM was and I couldn’t compute adding it into my fold.

So, I decided to cancel my order for the DFAM and instead ordered a B-Stock 2-tier stand for my Moogs, so that I just have the Mother and the DFAM racked up in my playspace. The Subharmonicon will be used on its own until such a time as I decide to do otherwise.

Interestingly, I’m kind of stoked to be switching from 3 to 2 tiers with the Moogs. Removing the Subharmonicon from the stack is already giving rise to some pre-emptive enjoyment at the prospect of simplifying.

So it goes…

5 Likes

Thanks man…:metal: