#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

:relaxed:

appreciate

1 Like

Have you considered that edgy has become the new normal?

To be chill in 2022 is to be radical.

Your stuff is good, I hope you are able to find a way to derive more joy from making it.

3 Likes

I dont care what’s what or what’s hip. I just wanna make a tune that make MY head bob. I dont care if no one likes it. I want to like SOMETHING. its gotta be really cool.

you see Jack Dangers going OFF when he’s live. you KNOW he likes his shit. :wink:
that’s GOTTA be fun! :+1:t6:

3 Likes

Don’t wanna take this thread too off topic but I will say some of my favorite songs combine chill stuff with a heavier vibe.

I think as long as you are telling a story or making an effort to express your view of what music should be, then that’s ok. I usually don’t like my stuff until I come back to it ~3 months later and am not caught on specifics.

It’s weird finding something you made in a folder and being like shit this is actually decent.

But anyways, I haven’t bought anything music related yet. Stay strong all

5 Likes

I actually haven’t bought anything music related since March 2021. and Im gonna keep that going till at LEAST 2022. hoping to actually shed some stuff during this NYNG :+1:t6:

in 2021 I already sold a bunch and gave a bunch away

2 Likes

Sell everything, but along the way trade for a SP404mk2 and a microphone. Maybe satisfaction lies in heavily processed beatboxing?

2 Likes

I had to go into the music shop to get a microphone cable (the one I bought on Amazon was bad and I needed to make sure I got the right one). Holy shit, stay away from those places if you are on this challenge.

1 Like

I haven’t been inspired at a Guitar Center since they stopped carrying the Virus, Nova and JP-8000. They have stocked an amazing array of mediocre controller keyboards and low-end yet overpriced audio interfaces.

I mean, I’m happy for all of the aspiring rockers for whom Guitar Center is the first step along the road to having their dreams pulverized, but it does nothing for me.

It might be fun to live somewhere that has good music shops.

3 Likes

I’m in Tokyo. Best gear shopping in the world I would imagine. Dangerous.

6 Likes

Say no more. I wandered into two random camera shops in the tourist-shopping district in Osaka a few years back and was stunned by the selection and prices.

3 Likes

I hope you consider continuing to make it for those of us who do like your music. The needs of the many, after all… :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

This and few synth shops exist near where I live plus due to covid nothing has been open for long time. I had to gamble on gear purchases for the last few years. Fortunately most of what I bought based on videos has been great. A buddy loaned me his Rytm which was fun but since I already have plenty of modular drums along with Octatrack did not really feel a need to buy one.

At one of my school sites, a “drive-by” graduation was conducted for 5th graders who’d spent the entire spring 2020 at home and enrolled in online school.

There was a big bucket of handheld percussion instruments at the school. Some teachers and I used the instruments to make a ruckus when the cars drove by and the kids stuck their heads out the windows.

I was fortunate enough to be holding a small set of toy cymbals, about 5-6 inches in diameter. Unbelievable, how many different sounds could be made on those cymbals. Open sounds, choked sounds, sliding sounds, sounds with a variety of ADSR envelopes.

I am going to borrow those cymbals next time I’m on site, take them home, record all the different sounds into the Digitakt, then make a drumbeat with them.

Our musical mind has two parts, a idealistic part and a aesthetic part. Our techno setups allow us to exercise those two parts almost simultaneously. Which, I think, is inherently a BAD thing.

Start with an idea for a beat or a melody or a texture. Sequence it. Listen to it. Yuck. Your aesthetic brain doesn’t like it. Change it. What happened to the idea you initially had? Why did you give up on it so quickly?

Our danger is falling into the rut of operating primarily in an aesthetic feedback loop; trying random things, keeping the ones that sound aesthetically good, saving the happy accidents. Where is the idealistic brain in all this?

The problem with aesthetics is that we have already been conditioned to respond to what sounds “cool”. This leads us down a well-traveled path.

But the idealistic musician picks their own path and sticks with it. Yea, it’s probably going to sound like ass in the end, but maybe still a unique form of ass.

The cymbals experiment, above, is a possible antidote to getting caught in the aesthetic feedback loop. Have an idea and follow through with it. If I don’t like the results, at least I will have widened my knowledge of recording and preparing samples. And it will most likely be different than anything else I’ve done.

10 Likes

Well one thing….I’m not a quitter :slight_smile:
I’m PERSISTENT.

to Elektron: midi retrig and cc number for retrig speed please :hugs:

4 Likes

Loving this thread still, a lot of good energy. It is only the 3rd, but long may the vibe last.

Whenever I have started to think about new gear the last week, I instead think about the gear I have.

I was under using my OT. It was a mixer and fx box only. I used 1 part, 1 pattern, everything else happened on the DN. Yesterday I started DN sending PC to OT.

On DN I have a couple of “songs” per-bank. So I can have an OT part per “song”. And that gives me 3 spare sample machines, and 8 midi sequencers that I haven’t been using at all and at least 16 scenes (I could use two parts-per-song for scenes.)

I’m a long way from expertise, but I can see OT starting to blossom in my mind.

I like just having the one DN sound source, sampling a melodic loop, then a percussive loop, and then melodic again. It is an effort, but I guess this is how you get muscle memory. Using scenes to play a mix of loop and live, or loop and loop, or just live.

I want to look for samples to augment some of the “songs”. I’d love to add some vocal stuff, for example. A whole new set of possibilities.

4 Likes

I was in the Five G Music Store once, if you have any form of GAS that is NOT the place you should go. It was impressive to see how much vintage gear they had though.

Best is not to visit these kind of stores in 2022 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Clearly I’m struggling right now, I’m having trouble gelling with my new eurorack two rows case which I feel is too big for me, I’m already GASing for another one that would be a downgrade to a single row.
In a way I feel it would not be a breach because it would be to downsize my setup, but on another hand, it still means I’m stuck into the “problem solving by consumption” mindset.

Please HNGNY friends, help me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Get rid of Eurorack entirely? :smiley:

5 Likes

I feel like if you’re able to downsize by selling the bigger case (and some units in it?) and getting a smaller one to replace it, this would be completely within the spirit of this thread… but I’m not in any way the referee around here :joy:

1 Like

Listen to me, friend - what you have now, is your setup. You have been put in your studio to work, but you have no say in, what gear is there. So let it go, and get to work :heart:

19 Likes