#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

To start of my quest of finding the perfect minimal setup this year, I’ve put away most of my creative gear except for the core of my setup, my 2 favorites:

• Moog GM:
    serving as my only hardware synth, and midi keyboard for both my DAW, and the
  • AR mkii:
    The workhorse of my studio. I use this to sample, sequence, mix, mess around with etc.

These 2 are hooked up to a patchbay, for 1) recording into my computer/daw or 2) sampling other sound sources (guitar amp, mic, turntable, computer).

I want to see how far this setup gets me, as these 2 pieces are very good at most things I need, except for polyphonic playing and mixing (both of which my daw excels at). My other samplers are stored away right now, and I plan to sell the ones I don’t use the coming period, except for the ones that have sentimental value to me. My setup might increase to 3 pieces of gear (a second sampler like the sp404 I put away to help out my AR), but for now I’m going to dive into these 2 instruments!

8 Likes

Buying a Decksaver is still allowed, right? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In all seriousness, I think buying a Decksaver shows a level of commitment to the gear in question, like you want to keep it in great shape for many years to come. Otherwise, it’s an expensive piece of plastic that is sometimes hard to sell on the second hand market :slight_smile:

12 Likes

No decision is a decision. So, you can decide to not make any changes for now (2022) and then see how you feel in 2023. It seems like a lot of people here and elsewhere upsize, downsize, regret the downsize, and then upsize. I don’t know anything about eurorack, but I assume having a case that’s too big can still be used for what you have if you don’t fill it. Unless you have an urgent portability issue, then use what you have. I have a couple of keyboard synths that I wish were the module version but who cares, I use the knobs and sliders and ignore the keyboard.

9 Likes

I was in the same position a couple of months ago. Not sold the 2 row case but instead bought a one row case (84hp) and you know what… the one row case has been used once… it is now thrown in the box and waiting for selling or just sitting there. Keep the two row case and put in what you want to put in. Cover the other row with blanks and put your coco or some pedals on it. Or make a drawing on the blanks… stick with that. After a couple of months the two row case will fit nicely in your workflow. I garantee that. Be strong :muscle:t2:

Oh edit; as blanks you can use some scrap wood or thick carton :wink:

5 Likes

@Martebar I agree with @michaeljk1963 - if this was me, this would lead me straight back to the GAS treadmill and take me away from making music and learning my gear. I would downsize and then inevitably upsize at some point later.
I might sell gear over the course of this year, but only if I’m not using it and can’t see using it. Everything I have (too much almost certainly) has a purpose in mind, even if it might take me time to reach that.
So far, I’ve managed to not lust after any more gear this year.

2 Likes

Listen to @YloopZ

Just ignore the other row. Seriously. Don’t let something like that get in the way of just using what you have.

One of the most insidious forms of GAS is chasing perfect ergonomics. They don’t exist.

11 Likes

But… if I just move this one thing over here, and put this other thing on a book to get it at the right height, and maybe a stand for this, no wait maybe put that over here and…

Yeah I think you’re right.

2 Likes

Totally right. I’ve lost a lot of time on this. Same angle, same depth, little buts of foam on the desk to achieve this, etc. etc. I even started a thread on gear the same size as Mk1 boxes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perfect? No. Close to perfect? Yes.

Though, chasing ergonomics in Eurorack is a futile effort. There are always going to be long cables stretching across your rack no matter how hard you try. Days can be wasted re-arranging modules. Just cluster utilities and VCA’s around your “bling” modules and be done with it. Make sure to use roomy modules that seem like a waste of rack space. Your life will be better.

As far as downsizing? Just puts some modules away in a box and make some blank panels to fill in the second row for now. You have to self regulate now instead of using gear to force you to regulate.

I’m a victim of chasing ergonomics, less on the gear aspect now though, and more on my space setup. Even in this moment I’m planning more furniture builds to house my synths in a more ergonomic fashion. Slide out trays with keyboards stacked vertically.

This type of ergonomics chasing isn’t as bad though. Especially if you think it through and plan to have some wiggle room for minor changes. Making things more useable My goal though, is to set it up and not change any of my synths out, possibly forever.

I’ve built/build all of my furniture from scratch. This really helps me to work with what I have and not just swap it out. Looking at a desk that took me months to build changes my thoughts. I think about how I can use it better rather than thinking about replacing it. I know this isn’t an option for everyone but It works for me.

4 Likes

Stay in that feeling and make it your friend. That’s how you get stronger. Or do what you need to do but stay the course - learn new stuff, distract yourself with something else you love, rough it out or sleep it off, whatever works. It gets easier.

But whatever you do, don’t rush into it blindly. Take it slow and learn something new about yourself.

1 Like

So I ended up getting the mixer I thought I’d get in 2022 in December…I’d like to join as well. :slight_smile: I have plenty to learn within my current setup. Ready to go deeper!

6 Likes

Just keep one row empty. Cover the other with cardboard or something and slap a bunch of stickers on it. Or do some art.

Take the modules you don’t want out. Put them away for now. You may want them back later. But it’s nice taking out the ones that get no play.

3 Likes

Added! :raised_hands:

1 Like

This would lead me down the rabbit hole for sure; I would end up spending a lot of time on Modular Grid trying to come up with the perfect 3u, obsessing over which modules could cover the functions of the ones I was selling but in less the space. It would absolutely lead me to some kind of purchase (beyond just the new case). I’m not saying this is what will happen with you, but from my experience I can definitely see what I would do.

If you’re looking for patch suggestions or any kind of inspiration related to your current setup feel free to reach out. I’ve been working with Eurorack for 7 years now and, despite the GAS related drawbacks, I absolutely love patching it and have used it in a lot of music/sound design projects.

2 Likes

Well modular is a deep never ending hole if you let it. I bought a lot the past few years but since I still have lot to master, decided no gear this year and bought blanks last year to fill in gaps and not buy any more modules for a long time. That said super fun!

Totally agree. My wife is pretty hardcore about cleanliness (partly a Japan thing) and she has given me a lot of shit over the years about letting dust accumulate on my gear. Her whole thing is that if this stuff is important to me, I should properly maintain it.

That’s going to be one of my goals for the year. Giving my instruments the proper care they deserve. Having fewer things, means easier care and maintenance.

6 Likes

I know this is the NoGear thread, but head over to Daiso and get a 100mm soft paint brush.

3 Likes

Blank panels are essential to avoid GAS in my experience (it’s also safer than leaving the power supply exposed). But even more important is to STAY OFF MODULARGRID! Seriously, just block it.

2 Likes

My wife’s family has a yearly Secret Santa gift exchange. My sister in-law was assigned to me. She later told me she was confused by the things I wrote in the spreadsheet used to help buying presents. One of the questions on the spreadsheet was, “What do you enjoy doing in your free time.” I answered, “Making electronic music.” So, she went to some kind of vanity store that makes customized notebooks with whatever written on the cover, and bought me this:

The gentleman on the cover is, I think, really living up to the spirit of NGNY!

19 Likes