#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

Earlier today I went through my facebook memories of this day on previous years and realized that I had already done this same challenge by myself in 2014. I had no recollection of that attempt which goes to tell that I probably failed hard and quite soon too. A worrying sign.

I’ll be keeping my fb-memories under scrutiny from this day onwards to see how long I lasted eight years ago. I have been overly confident in myself this time but this finding kinda shook my faith a little.

2 Likes

That was a long time ago, and with time comes wisdom.
Keep the faith!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Been good so far. Started 9 months ago. Have no desire for more. In fact my goal is to shed a bunch more. I’ve got my DT and DN up for sale cheap. 6 modules, considering posting my MNM, SH-101 and Peak.

I was fucking around with Ultrabeat in Logic yesterday…it almost had me thinking I could ditch all my hardware.

No…this will be a cake walk.

4 Likes

Ditch FB, you’ll feel better. That shit is trash.

11 Likes

Stay strong y’all. I was inspired to make this meme yesterday when some new gear threads started popping up. May it bring you strength to fight the urge to buy.

5 Likes

I wish I could. But it’s a really good way to get people to come to my shop. I have had my book shop for a year and I haven’t spent a cent on advertising, not traditional advertising and not social media ads. I never put in money to gain visibility but it still works extremely well.

I couldn’t imagine running a business without a social media presence in 2022. The previous owner of my shop - an aging gentleman in his seventies - did just that and that’s one of the reasons we sell five times what he sold.

I thought and dreamt that when I bought the shop I could just fade out of social media and start a new account just for my company, but it does not work that way. I need to have a personal account to be able to have a business account.

It’s sad, but to be a succesful business owner in this age and time you need to be on these admittedly shitty platforms that I despise deeply.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it still be possible to make a personal account with a fake name that is not in use besides for getting the business account?

That is probably also true. It’s just that I have numerous friends overseas etc. who I’d lose all contact with if I got rid of FB. It’s got me hooked in so many complex ways.

It’s sneaky how a huge portion of our daily messaging and conversation has been taken over by the same company who owns FB, IG and What’sApp. Before this it was just SMS, phone calls and email. Nowadays, most of my work related messages come through the FB-messenger. And it was like that back when I was a graphic designer too.

This pandemic has really played into Zuckerberg’s pockets. People have been isolated and mostly using the tools his company offers to stay in touch with each other. He’s made a great profit out of all this but this is surely not the right thread to discuss this matter.

Let’s focus not on my facebook account but on the challenge at hand.

Focus people! Focus!

3 Likes

Gotcha! I’m feeling so good after leaving FB a week or so ago and can’t help but encourage others who are not enjoying it to consider the options.

I was also there mostly because of my friends in other countries but ended up exchanging phone numbers and now they’re all in my discord and signal contacts.

But yes, focus!!

2 Likes

I’ve been off quite a long time now (months and months) BUT I am missing out on cycling club events, basically, now there is no way to be part of a bike club 'round here unless you’re on Facebook. Hate it.

2 Likes

Yeah, some groups are good but it seems to me that many of the synth groups I was in have turned into buy/sell -groups in the few past years. No real discussion about techniques or ideas I reckon. That made it easy for me to leave.

1 Like

It’s called reverse psychology.

4 Likes

Here’s a bad idea for those that could use extra motivation to stay away from that buy button.

What if each participant chose one bit of personal gear to put in a pot that would go to the last person standing? Obviously there’s some hardcore trust happening in this scenario, but I know it might give me extra bonus pause if I were about to slip.

My name is Mark and it’s been four days since my last purchase.

:man_facepalming:t5: That’s right…I forget the shop [mistake]

1 Like

I’ve been exploring all the pad presets I could find for MC-707. Went through all the ones in the internal memory and have started exploring all the sound packs I got in Roland Cloud Manager while my free Pro membership was still active.

I have a fairly specific sound that I’m looking for in a pad, for a particular piece I’m working on. My search isn’t over but I’ve built up a list of interesting presets to revisit and learn from. There have been some unexpected delights like the Modular Grooves pack, which emulates modular riffs through patch programming rather than sampling real modulars.

I will probably buy some of the sound packs that I didn’t get while I still had my Pro membership expired, as they’re only 99 cents each. Roland has kept churning them out and now there are almost 100 of them. In particular, I’m looking at The Drones, Sweep Pads and Pulsations, Modular Loops, and Ethereal Realms.

I would not suggest that Zen Core presets and sound packs would replace a Prophet 5 or a real modular, but they meet my needs and can most certainly be used to make music in 2022. I have no doubt that even if I don’t find the exact pad sound I’m looking for, I will have more than enough information to make it happen, whether by tweaking one of the presets just so, or diving in a little deeper.

2 Likes

So pessimism is the new optimism? No wonder Finland is the happiest nation on earth! (I chuckle every time I hear or read that somewhere. We are also pretty good at complaining tho, maybe that helps too.)

3 Likes

I actually thought about something along those lines, when the thread was just starting, but concluded that I would rather have everybody be open about their struggles, instead of being tempted by rewards to maybe hush a sin.

And furthermore - let’s not fight gas with gear. It seems wrong?

4 Likes

I do this. I deleted my personal facebook about 6 years ago when I realized it was making me feel awful knowing more than I needed to know about people that I barely cared about or even knew. About year ago, I created a new one for my camper (Vinnie DaWhitehawk) since there are some RV groups on there with helpful folks with good information. I have 0 friends on facebook as it’s purely for accessing the few groups that are useful to me. Works a treat. There are also some good synth groups as well.

8 Likes

I’m one of the few crazies, who has never had a fb account.

10 Likes

Don’t think I actually have GAS, or at least not for a long time now.

Habit I need to break is selling gear that feeds the emotional roller coaster addiction; from working up the courage to finally list something, right through to the excitement of those last few seconds of the auction.

So if I don’t buy anything else then I’ll quickly run out of things to sell.

2 Likes