Nice intro to Herbie Hancock in NYTimes

The NY Times has a nice short article on Herbie Hancock here, with recommendations from a broad cross section of musicians about songs of his to start with:

It covers a wide sample of the styles and genres that Hancock has worked in. It’s a great intro to his music if you haven’t had the pleasure of listening to this living genius of the keys!

13 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Interestingly, nobody chose “Nobu”, but then there’s such a huge body of work.

2 Likes

Nice link. I feel like there’s a generational shift going on, younger responders are choosing the groovy stuff over the 60’s acoustic jazz classics. And of course no one’s picking anything after Rockit, even though Hancock has had a 40-year career after that, sad but probably justified.

2 Likes

If you’re not feelin’ Chameleon you’re no friend of mine.

His 2007 “River: The Joni Letters” is pretty awesome in my book. His arrangements and collaborations on that brought new perspectives to songs I’d been listening to pretty much my whole life. I think that was a Grammy well deserved.

1 Like

I need to check that out then. :slightly_smiling_face:

My personal favorite is Hang Up Your Hang Ups, so funky.

1 Like

I’ve posted these in the jazz thread before, but all of the live HeadHunters stuff is amazing.

The Moog solo from around 13:55 in this one is pretty cool! The whole this is great though, including the 1970s commercials at the end. Lol.

3 Likes