No choke groups for hi hats?

If they gave you choke groups you might not buy a Rytm :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

You can’t simply create choke groups for one shot samples in Ableton? That really sounds like the long way around for a DAW. It is super easy in FL Studio.

Choke Group work great in Ableton when using samples. Not when using external sound sources.

Ok. But that is what I was suggesting. Just sample your hat sounds off the Syntakt. edit: sample them as one shots

But then they won’t sound natural/alive anymore, unless one does multiple samples and applies the round robin principle.

1 Like

Possible to do choke groups with midi processing (MAX MSP ?). I use hardware midi processors.

Identify the choke group by their midi channels, and when one of these channel is triggered, you program it to send notes off on the other channels of the group.

Oh, no. The great choke group cannibalization conspiracy is unraveling right before our eyes!

Think of all the profits they’re making on the hordes of customers who…. (checks notes) want to sequence their Elektrons with other gear and end up buying a Rytm for choke groups. :wink:

Ah, dang it. Autocorrect changed “niche” to “hordes” again. Shucks.

7 Likes

I can’t help it… I keep getting sucked in…

Sound locks make choke groups irrelevant for the principle use case (using the sequencer). If anything, it’s weird that the Rytm has them. Personally, I think the choke groups on the Rytm are better for alternative parts, for conditional p-lock tricks and so on.

1 Like

Fair for the rest of the line up but producing realistic drums on a pad based drum machine/computer kinda makes sense, right?

I always looked at the choke groups on Rytm more as a fitting feature that came from the brilliant use of shared voices. 12 tracks out of 8 voices. Brilliant! (Never used sound locks thanks to this)

Syntakt is 12 tracks out of 12 voices. Also brilliant!

But we all relate to these machines differently so the differences in opinion are warranted.

1 Like

I guess, but if they’d made it 12 tracks with no chokes, instead of 8 tracks with 4 chokes, it would still be a great drum machine. I only like the “hats” choke. The others get in the way by making you feel like you have more tracks than you do (unless you get funky with conditions). The bottom right pair are particularly annoying because the DVCO and rims are so useful, yet stymied a bit by only letting one note out of the pair at a time.

Really didn’t like tracks choke organisation on AR. Was warping my head. I would have prefered free assignments of choke tracks.

Just use 1 track. Create an open hihat. Use automation in Ableton on decay time. Done.

If you’re using pads to trigger the sounds:

Create open hihat. Set amp env to adsr mode. Set hold to NOTE and set realease to 0 or close to 0. Holding a pad is open hihat. Short hit is closed hihat.

I’m also fairly sure there should be a way (maybe with a bit of simple programming) where you program one pad to send a trigger plus opening decay. Map another pad to the same track and trigger+closed decay.

In any case using only 1 track is key

7 Likes

Ableton should really implement this. Come on, it’s 2022 and the Syntakt can’t choke when sequenced from Ableton and Ableton can’t choke when sequencing the Syntakt!!?? :wink:

4 Likes

FWIW, 42 years ago, even the Linn LM-1 featured hi-hat choking.

The bulk of drum machines I’ve used since the late 80s follow the physics of the real-world hi-hat and how it’s played i.e. having 2 different playable states which cannot coincide.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect any modern “rhythm machine” to give the user this option in real time playing (not with p-locking after the fact)

One button for open, one for closed, or even better: freely assignable choke groups. This should be a thing.

1 Like

If you think about it, you can pretty much make your own choke group using a CC envelope on your MIDI lane in Ableton… but you’ll need to make two lanes for the hats, and they need to be set to send on the same MIDI channel.

You’d keep one lane for normal hats, and the other lane will trigger the same hat, but it’ll also trigger the CC Envelope for every event sent on that lane - the CC Env should be set to the CC value for the Decay time.

Although dumb, it’s actually pretty nice doing it this way because you can tune ‘both hats’ at the same time - and you free up a track on the ST!

I prefer doing it this way tbh. Always have.

How about the Syntakt not being able to output note repeats…? That genuinely deserves its own thread.

Actually (being pedantic, sorry) that’s not the real world, it’s an oversimplification of the physics. A real drummer has a pedal that varies continuously between open and closed, not just two states. Some drummers might choose to ignore that and simplify that to two states, and early drum machines enforced that simplification.

4 Likes

One could argue that the physics of a real-world hi-hat is that it is only one track :wink:

Not agreeing or disagreeing here, but that’s how I use hi-hats in the Elektron boxes. Sequenced that is.

2 Likes

Seems a job for modifiers, with decay as dest…

From external midi, I’d probably use Modulation Wheel settings…

Unfortunately modulations can’t be recorded, or assigned to modifiers…

3 Likes

Yes, but (being pedantic again, sorry) the various states in between open and closed are not just characterised by a different decay, there are interactions between the two cymbals that are distinctly different from both open and closed .

And I quite understand that’s something not everyone here will necessarily want to emulate. :wink: Your solution is practical, and it’s something I use on M:C … p-locks on decay.

1 Like