No job / welfare

If you know your way around a computer then studying for an MCSE is pretty straightforward - just learn your way around Microsoft SQL server usingf online documentation pass 5 exams at $150ish each and then you have a licence to print cash pretty much.
Not the most rock’n’roll job but the average salary is approx £35k p/a and if you cram it all in you could probably get through all 5 exams within a year.
https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-gb/mcse-sql-data-platform.aspx
[/quote]
Is that £35k a year? What does the p/a stand for?

I’m pretty good with a computer, I’m just not terribly good at math.[/quote]
Sorry p/a is per year.
That kind of work isn’t programming really, its more to do with data structure. Things like learning how to structure databases and query them to get different sets of data out - a lot of it is logical thinking rather than hardcore c++ programming etc.

The company I worked for was acquired last year. After many assurances over several months that my department/position was safe, we got bad news at the start of last month. Our jobs were being moved 1,200 miles away, I couldn’t/was unwilling to relocate. We were given 2 weeks notice (every other position was given at least 8 weeks notice). I was given a severance and I had earned a lot of commission that was paid out at the end of my 2 weeks as well.

I have filed for unemployment but haven’t received any yet. I have had a few good interviews and have some other irons in the fire. Staying in the small city that I live in AND staying in the same industry is going to be a challenge. I am willing to wait a bit for the right job but can only hold out for so long (my wife and I have a baby on the way).

I have been doing work on the house, preparing for the baby and completing large or incomplete home improvement projects. I have side work lined-up too, if I need it.

I have been in a place filled with faith, I was great at my last job (best in the organization globally) and am excited for the next opportunity.

Y’all will get through this. I had just finished my graduate program and substituted/valeted cars when our first baby was born. Having financially supportive families on each of our sides of family helped immensely.

I know all about being unemployed/under employed. I’m a graphic designer living in a city that is over saturated with designers ( Portland, Oregon), and was laid off two years ago from a well paying but very stressful job (I was happy to leave). With my portfolio and years of experience, I have never had trouble finding work, but this time has been very different. I’ve had very little work over the past two years, though things are now finally picking up it seems.

Being out of work is not only stressful financially, but emotionally your self esteem gets put into serious question, and personally, I’ve had the very real thought that my career might be over already. It is very very hard to deal with when your career is such a large part of your identity. Plus, chicks don’t date guys that don’t have money, so there’s that too.

I had started to receive uneloyment payments, but president shithead, er, I mean, Obama, suddenly cut off all funding for my state. God knows how much of my money this corrupt system has taken (and used for wars), and now the system just kicks me to the curb.

Full time jobs in my field are hard to come by these days, and in this city. So now I freelance, which means I make less money, and work or look for work constantly. I mean all day everyday. I often feel guilty for allowing myself to spend time playing with my Elektron’s! This also means that I spend a lot of time isolated and alone, and that may well be the hardest part of it all. If you can, by all means, surround yourself with people who will support you emotionally (usually people who have been unemployed too).

Good luck!

What’s the reasoning for the Obama administration for removing welfare funding from the state of Oregon?

Seems a bit shortsighted, especially when I feel that this administration should be pretty open to maintaining unemployment benefits across the country.

I am assuming you mean $60k US?
I may be wrong, but I guess this would be unlikely in the UK many sectors other than finance.
Even in something highly vocational, like medicine, the starting basic salary in the UK is around £30k (~$45k).
I don’t know much about this stuff though, so I may be spouting crap.
I have never been out of work, but anyone who is out there who has/is has my sympathy.
Something is deeply rotten in the world. Leniency to those that have, and persecuting those who have not. Change has to come.

2 Likes

My 2 cents: define what’s a ‘good’ week and an ‘excellent’ week based on the following or similar categories, earn stickers based on hours spent (2 hours spent, one sticker) or results achieved in a category, do your duty on the uncomfortable categories and enjoy the comfortable ones!

Blue: applications for jobs, red: education/courses, green: health (going to a doctor, doing sports), yellow: meeting with friends, white: hobbies etc pp

Example: good week - at least 5 points in each category, excellent - two more in at least 3 categories. Maybe get yourself some nice gear after a month of at least 2 good and 2 excellent weeks.

This might give you some direction and more satisfaction with the situation.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

In the U.S. - For those of you who are looking for work, if you learn the following skills:

-HTML5
-Javascript
-PHP

You will be able to find work practically anywhere. Salaries range from 45k - 75k depending on experience and ability to manage people.

Then add some Java/.NET/C#, backend, web services, and DB knowledge, and you’ll really start humming! Jobs galore to be had in these areas.

Then add some Java/.NET/C#, backend, web services, and DB knowledge, and you’ll really start humming! Jobs galore to be had in these areas.[/quote]
Hey that’s what I’m doing (all the above except the Java!) :slight_smile: I’m on the low end of that scale, but I’m in a town where cost of living is pretty cheap so your mileage may vary. I feel like I’m right in between struggling and comfortable right now.

Holy shit man!
I don’t have enough time for an exhaustive reply now, replying as reminder for later.
Btw the thread is really interesing in order to know other people toughts and situations in different countries.

Hi,
COURAGE …
I know the situation.
Sometimes you have to loose something to find something better and the nature of things is that everything changes.
My personal opinion ? In the world of today with so mutch technology - possibilyties and money - there should be enough for everybody ( without wars ) . My guess is that those who live in decadence need the ones that don’ have enough. The strong should take care of the weak and the status of a society can be mesured by the level of existence of weakest and fylosophie dousn"t pay the bills.
positive side of unemployment : more time ( i was very productive in these periods ) and i found better jobs - even the lousiest jobs learned me alot ). Nothing’s forever man. :heart:
thanx for posting this Trabant

So your complaint is that the Department of Social Security insists on paying benefits electronically, which discriminates against the very people they are supposed to be helping, who are the least likely to have the facilities to accept the payment. This complaint is fair enough.

But Britain has a very generous welfare system, and billions is paid out in housing benefit every year. There is social housing and council housing (admittedly, not so much since Thatcher sold much of it off).

The idea that Britain is an uncaring country is nonsense. There is plenty of help available. Homeless people are often homeless because they have drug and alcohol problems.

I used to be on welfare and produced tons of new music all the time on Renoise. Constantly pushing personal boundaries. Now I work full time and collect expensive hardware and make a fraction of the amount of music I used to.

1 Like

Fact there are more (EMPLOYABLE) people than jobs.

Fact we will need less people to do even more work as Technology
progresses.

A lot of jobs are just “busy work” and it is estimated that we could get rid of close to 90% of all jobs that exist NOW.

Fact, Modern humans work for the sake of income not necessity.

Our Technology has made our haphazard primitive system of distribution (money) OBSOLETE.

1 Like

Fact: some facts are best served up where they might be welcomed

So your complaint is that the Department of Social Security insists on paying benefits electronically, which discriminates against the very people they are supposed to be helping, who are the least likely to have the facilities to accept the payment. This complaint is fair enough.

But Britain has a very generous welfare system, and billions is paid out in housing benefit every year. There is social housing and council housing (admittedly, not so much since Thatcher sold much of it off).

The idea that Britain is an uncaring country is nonsense. There is plenty of help available. Homeless people are often homeless because they have drug and alcohol problems.[/quote]
Yep - this is what they would like you to believe… obviously you can see things as you like and I respect your view; but my advice is don’t believe the rhetoric, the reality is very harsh and getting worse every day.

Drug and alcohol problems are there it is true, but to say this is their own fault or something is kinda missing the point. I’d turn to drink and drugs if I was in their situation!

I believe in a welfare system that genuinely helps people who, for whatever reason, are struggling to get back on their feet. I don’t believe in a welfare system that supports people indefinitely - this isn’t any good for anyone, least of all the people who are struggling.

…but this is only half the problem, the reality of employment contracts (more and more zero hour - zero rights - zero respect) are becoming very abusive and the wages are so low that it makes no sense to get a job and come off benefits.

So the reality of the situation is:

1. Corporations and their cronies get richer every day at the expense of the average person and in many (some highly publicised) cases do not contribute to the tax system and society - they just take and take and take.

2. Government has less power every day - it seems as though the government now is simply a public relations department for large corporates. They spend their days lying about their intentions and operational procedures and, far from being public servants, are working to enslave the populace in poorly paid jobs that restrict and control. You’re also highly likely to have a psychopath for a boss and to be fired if you don’t do exactly what they say when they say it, including appalling overtime hours for no additional pay etc… because there will be someone else who is willing to be treated like shit for that money.

3. the average person is marginalised and oppressed at every turn. Those who work for a living and pay their own way are faced with ever increasing bills for energy, water, housing, medication, transport and all the other basic necessities of life to the point where life becomes an endless round of ‘work - home - sleep’ just to keep their heads above water.

You would struggle to find accommodation for less than £500 a month.

Council tax: £100 per month

Water: £35 per month

Electricity: £50 per month

Gas: £50 per month

Travel: £100 per month

Food: £200 per month

Actually, you’re doing well if you can get it all this low!

…and we’re over a grand a month already and most folks I know don’t earn this! Even care workers, who do a very difficult job only earn about £11K a year!

This is before anything goes wrong, boiler breaks for example, or including any telephony or internet access, and heaven forbid you should actually have some fun and go out and enjoy yourself! Add a car to the mix (often a requirement of employment) and you can easily add £1-200 a month on to that.

OK, I understand that the UK has a better welfare system than many other countries, but I would say you’re making a mistake if you think this is secure or going to be around for much longer. All these things are systematically being removed and before long the NHS, the welfare system, the pensions we have all paid for and everything else that is set up to help people will be gone.

[/quote]
I agree with your view ,
I’ve been working for a few years as a volunteer in a restaurant for homeless people in Brussels. And i’ve been on the street myself. We do have a welfare -system in Belgium that’s not the worst . But i know that this can overcome everybody - many people don’t realise this. Ones you’re out of the system it’s a hell off a job getting back in. And i can understand that some use drugs just to forget the misery or because they have nothing positive to occupy themselves with. Judging is easy and can be done fast - but it takes insight and effort to understand.
We behave as if we own this planet ( some even think they can own the people who live on her ) We have grown to an incredible intellectual level but dis dousn’t seem to garenty Intelligence.
More and more people seem to think that those on welfare are abusing the system or are just being lazy. I’ts easy to have this opinion if you never been in this situation. For me it’s those who have to much who are abusing but ofcourse they’ll do everything to make us think it’s the poor who are resposible for this ( artificial )- crisis. ( and they have the means by controlling the media )
DEVIDE AND RULE ( matchiavelli i think )

2 Likes

I left England nearly 15 years ago, when it became obvious to me what that pig-fucker Blair was doing to my country. I still have family and friends there, and it saddens me to see what is happening now.

^this.:+1:

1 Like

I just lost a very long post I was going to share. Suffice to say, still not a big fan of the Forum experience when using iOS devices :slight_smile:

I’m just glad to hear I am not alone. The social disconnect and isolation are very real issues to be dealt with.

It’s easy to get caught in the soul-crushing abyss.

2 Likes