No New Gear Year 2023 AKA NGNY 2023

https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268885

3 Likes

I think the point was… not that any forum topic is going to really cause serious economic damage to a manufacturer. its a small minority, and many won’t follow thru any way !

rather, modwiggler prides itself that the manufactures are part of the community.
so, perhaps, given the real struggles of those manufactures it was perhaps a little insensitive.

1 Like

I’m not refusing to support small his business, I’m trying to have a more healthy relationship with gear. I’m not going be coerced into buying stuff for synth companies to survive, what the hell kind of entitlement is that?

7 Likes

such a ridiculous statement imo, how about the people that already spent shitload of money on boutique gear and now they want to actually use it? does this gear comes with expiration date?

almost every boutique piece is marketed as “you can spend a lifetime and you won’t be bored and it’s handcrafted and we spent forever R&Ding so that’s why you pay a pretty penny”, and that’s cool and people support this so people paid a pretty penny, so now for “bigger perspective” they want people to commit spending money regardless? what kind of mindf*ck is that?

wait till they hear that more people are ditching hardware and working ITB

“hey please don’t use daws it’s bad for our business thanks”

5 Likes

Is this for real? How self centred. Holy shit. Wow this makes me wanna buy even less.

Maybe this “huge” group of people on this thread might convince manufactures to start innovating instead of replicating. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Man, that guys message really soured me.

That kinda clinched it for me. I will probably get new golf clubs if I get a job.

[I haven’t had new clubs in…10 years!?]

1 Like

Keeping in mind that modular is about the worst thing that ever happened to so many peoples music making and financial situation during the last 7-8 years, it just gets more and more ridiculous the more you think about it.

1 Like

For me it is about priorities like paying my mortgage, property and income taxes, and funds for emergencies like home and auto repairs and so forth. Besides I bought a ton of gear the past few years so they cannot gripe to me about it. I took pay cuts and layoffs the past decade that prevented me from buying as much gear anyways. I am at a saturation point now with modular, synths, guitars and amps and even after cleaning up the studio really do not have a valid reason to buy more gear until I can produce several albums of quality music with what I have now. Otherwise, it is just collecting and hoarding gear from G.A.S. which I want to avoid. I believe in supporting local and small business and do not want to see them go out of business either. I was sad to hear about WMD and Mutable Instruments and Hexinverter as I bought a lot of their modules and enjoy them a great deal.

2 Likes

for sure, take a look at that thread, people saying they’ve spent $5-6k a year and they actually want to make some music now, and the manufacturer says “they are not pleased seeing these people committing not to spend more”… dafuq?!?

2 Likes

Reasonability shaming. :rofl:

4 Likes

I tangentially know the guy who wrote that newsletter (and who is North Coast Synthesis). He did his PhD with my research group. I didn’t have any direct dealings with him, but he was active on local newsgroups. Like many tech people, he can be blunt, and he could have phrased that comment better. But he has a certain point. He’s not going to get rich doing this, but he’d like to stay afloat. He seems to be trying to innovate and to provide a service to the community.

You don’t owe a large corporation anything. They will cheerfully cut your legs out from under you if it helps their business plan. But for one person or a handful of people doing their best to give back, maybe there can be some reciprocity. It doesn’t do anyone any good to pledge abstinence in the winter, weaken a little in the summer but beg indulgence, spend like a drunken sailor from Thanksgiving to New Year’s, and then sign up again. Maybe it’s better to be consistently moderate, to spend and acquire thoughtfully, and to seek out the obscure and unique.

Now if you think the best way for you to achieve that is to go cold turkey, then more power to you. But that’s not the only route.

10 Likes

It’s about getting control over bad habits. Buying to buy…isn’t a good plan.

3 Likes

Yeah i’m gonna go ahead and echo some of the other statements made here:
I’ve never bought from North Coast Synthesis before, never even heard of them! but my first interaction with their brand is a message from their CEO suggesting he is disappointed with my personal purchasing decisions smh lol.

I’m a small business owner too, I roast coffee but when a customer tells me they are going to cancel a subscription because they are going to take a break from caffeine for a while, I don’t go writing newsletters shaming their decisions and threatening to blame them for the inevitable failure of my business.

as established here: purchasing new gear has an addictive quality (like caffeine!) and we are all making our best attempt to recover this year from the damage and unwanted consequences of it. I think this guy severely misunderstands the point of the thread and took real personal offense when he really could have tried to better understand where we are coming from. For that, I’m disappointed in him and North Coast Synthesis. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

This is just one of the many ways the world is slowly changing. And believe me, it really needs to be changing. People need to accustom to the way things are going to be.

Everytime there’s a social media post about veganism, there’s multitudes of omnivore people asking dumb questions like: ”Well, if everybody stopped eating meat then what would happen to all the cows and pigs and chicken?” Well they would sure as hell suffer a lot less. Every day there are more animals slaughtered than all the people who’ve died in wars during the whole history of mankind combined. That’s an insane amount of suffering every freakin’ day, but I’m grateful to be living in these times when things are slowly starting to change for the better.

This is kind of the same thing. I understand that manufacturing and selling gear is someone’s livelihood, but a handful of people trying to stop GASsing is not going to put any business under. I’m sure this movement is a start for something beautiful, but for now it’s a handful of goofballs testing out their abilities of self control (and mostly failing.)

I used to work in advertising. I photoshopped chicken burgers to look more delicious to sell more of them while at the same time I was vegetarian and despised my work and myself for doing it. I quit my job and bought a second hand book store. Now I love my job and it’s 100% sustainable. I basically recycle beautiful second hand things from one owner to another. If your line of work is dependent of abundant consumerism, maybe it’s time to think about another job?

Do I sound like an extremist or a radical? I think not. There’s nothing extreme in trying to do what’s right.

17 Likes

No, but you sound angry, and that is something I hope I’m reading the wrong way, or you find a way out of. For your sake :heart:

2 Likes

I’m not talking about valid or not. That’s not for me to judge. I just know from experience, that there is a way out of anger consuming you.

1 Like

I’m not angry at all. I’m actually quite content with the way things are progressing.
Slower than needed, but still progressing.

There’s hope. And that’s saying something.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear that. And believe me, when I say, that there was nothing but wanting the best for you, in my failed observation.

1 Like

No prob, bro!
We can do this.

Can’t wait to get work tomorrow morning, these weekends with nothing to do, are killing me. Sorry if I seemed a bit off there.

1 Like

yeah and if taxes were not so bloody high that would easily free up way more cash for things.

1 Like

No no, I just read it the wrong way :heart:

1 Like