Non-Elektron desktop sequencers?

Without a doubt: Five12 Vector Sequencer plus expander.

It totally changed my way of sequencing and interacting with both my modular and desktop setups.

Totally underrated, it can be XoX and deep at the same time, having 8 tracks, with 2 subsequencers each and various modulators, drum- and chord modes, constantly getting updates and great to use along a Launchpad (Mini), plus song mode.

3 Likes

This is what I am using now instead of external sequencers. I love it, but my only beef is the included modulation output, even with the expander, is insufficient for my needs. There’s only one velocity lane per track. The expander adds a lot of triggers but no additional CV out. If you are a big modulation user, I would suggest using a MIDI to CV converter as an expander rather than buying the expander so you can take advantage of the 3 CC lanes per track to add modulation to your patterns.

But yeah the sub sequencers and extensive step options are incredible, and it’s very hands-on. For a screen-dependent sequencer it does not feel like it at all.

2 Likes

Oxi One is superb, with impeccable developer support. Fun, tactile and rewarding.

1 Like

Actually I use both the triggers and velocity outs as modulators for other modules in my setup, e.g. to generate odd clock time signatures, triggering other sequencers, using the velocity as EG for filter/waveshaping purposes etc.

It really depends on the specific setup. But you’re right: Having 2 CC lanes per track (on top of velocity and trigger) is more than sufficient with a MIDI2CC module. I actually have an FH2 alongside the expander but barely had the need to use the 2 additional CC lanes per track…but now I got some ideas :slight_smile:

/edit: Did I mention the ratcheting per track/step? It is awesome!

This is an incredible summary for most (all?) current major options.

I honestly have no idea. Haha.

I love my iPad, but I need hardware controls.

2 Likes

started with an MC-50 back in the day, moved to Squarp Pyramid/Hapax when i picked up again last year. great for composing but no true linear song mode means i’m switching to Deluge now

1 Like

Well yes, besides the Blokas MIDIHub, I have an Intech BU16, Faderfox PC4 & EC4 and TE TX-6 hooked up to the iPad as well :thinking: My own modular iOS groovebox ecosystem :crazy_face:

1 Like

Lol, good. I’m not as annoying as I imagine myself then :joy:

The OP-Z has been my main stay sequencer for a cpl of years now… haven’t used it’s sound engines in well over a year, but I still find it super useful as a midi sequencer.
It is really easy to structure a pattern into a song.

3 Likes

Would be nice if there was a cheaper sequencer only version of the deluge

2 Likes

Ya. I just looked at it and $1400 is a bit much to spend on something I don’t know if I’ll like.

1 Like

…hey elektron, see, there’s still demand for ur core invention, ur sequencer, to be sold as nothing but a naked sequencer device…if u ever wanna give the “low price” segment a try again, two different models of universal controlers, one with a touch keybed ala microfreak, one with a nifty real pad layout, plus some little faders, all that just equipped/paired with ur sequencing concept would be a truu successor product line…

4 Likes

just the opposite. i sequence Digitone externally from Hapax and would be happy with any Elektron boxes that only had the sound machines without any sequencing business

2 Likes

You can get the non-OLED ones at a decent price used. I don’t think the lack of an OLED screen would bother you too much for just sequencing.

As a sequencer I think it’s pretty hard to beat. My beefs all stem from the mediocre-to-bad FX, the merely OK synth engine, and the somewhat clumsy to use sampling implementation, most of which is due to the fact that there’s like 4x as much stuff than they planned for when they designed the physical UI. The capabilities Deluge has acquired in the 3 major updates it’s received beg for completely new hardware with more I/O and a big screen with soft keys/knobs that can take on contextual functionality depending on what you are doing. And the parameter range of 50, despite being interpolated/smoothed is a huge drag when dialing in delay times or navigating through a wavetable.

Deluge brains in Ableton Push II would basically wipe the floor with everything else out there.

2 Likes

Really fun thread!

Besides Digitakt, I’m finding the Polyend Tracker to be pretty ace for MIDI sequencing (into FH2 then into the modular and such). Does retrigs over MIDI (why Digitakt, why??) and is super fun to use and navigate. Great overview compared to the DT.

I would love a standalone, purely MIDI elektron sequencer. You won’t get me to bite for an octatrack just for MIDI retrigs, sadly…

(Hopefully the M8 will be good for this, too, although I don’t know if retrigs work over MIDI there or not)

anyone using a launchpad pro mk3

seems like a nice option. you’d need a midi to cv module though

I am using a T-1 coupled with a Befaco MIDI Thing (4 channels of cv and gate). It leaves me with 2 cv and 4 gates on the T-1. Using velocity as mod on the 2 cv outs, coupled with the random function on T-1, it gives a lot of connectivity. Using the 1 gate as reset. You can use 4 cv max and 2 gates or combine it as 6 gates, 3 cv 3 gates, etc…
Master clock comes from OT.
Euclidean based.
Like it very much.

I know the OP was asking this question in the context of a modular rig, but I am curious what folks think about desktop sequencers for a primarily MIDI rig. In particular, I would be interested in hearing thoughts about capabilities for generative MIDI and full featured (and hopefully fun!) sequencing with the Deluge, Hapax, or Oxi One. Does one of these really shine for MIDI compared to the others? I think the Hapax was designed for MIDI, but is it better than the Deluge in this regard?

The Social Entropy Engine is great. 8 channels of midi or cv/gate for mono, poly and/or drums. If you can find one used (they’re discontinued) grab it.