Noob and loving it...mostly...Question on loading songs/kits

Hey All,
Got an MD SPS-1 UW+ last week

Quite a step up from the Boss machine I’ve used for years, to say the least!

I’ve been slowly learning the layout / functions etc…waiting to ask questions until I got more experience.

Today I’m struggling with the snapshots/kits/songs:

So I have two songs made, each with a different kit. One stock kit (Soul) and one I added via midi (LM-2)

I have everything from those two songs (kits, songs, samples I added) saved in Global slot 1 saved together in one Snapshot.

Here’s what is frustrating me:

When I load one song (that was saved in all ways before moving to the next one) it’ll play the patterns and sequences, but the kit layout is all screwed up…wrong drums on the wrong pads. I’ll load the kit again and it won’t change. The only thing that fixes it is going back into Global slot 1 and reload the sample bank that has the kit I am using in the song. That works fine. But I know that is not how it should be.

Is it putting two different projects in one snapshot?

Any help appreciated.

BTW, staying in extended mode all the time.

First problem is you are mixing up ‘kits’ and ‘samplebanks’ it sounds like - I am assuming if you added it ‘via midi’ then you are talking about samplebanks.

You have to manually load sample banks, each ‘snapshop’ is associated by default with one sample bank. So if you want to load another samplebank, you have to do it manually (you can hold down function and song setup to get to this menu quickly).

But samplebanks are not saved with the kit - the samplebanks are separate and interchangeable.

Hope that helps.

The other night I was playing around with a song I made that also uses several samples from a sample bank, and when I switched Snapshots I had the same problem you had. Ended up really frustrated and wondering if my shit was broken.

Now that I see you have the same issue, I wonder if it is a bug, or just a strange design decision.

Not a bug.
As jeffe said, a Snapshot gets one Samplebank. So fill up those sample slots. :wink:

Thanks guys.

I thought you’d be able to change songs on the fly but oh well.

I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions. :wink:

Ok Ok wait a minute…

Sorry to but in, but now I am confused.

Snapshots are the highest level. They include everything, Songs/Patterns/Kits/Samples.

If you load a snapshot, thing of that as your “project” that you are working on.

All of the samples for everything you are trying to use, kits you assemble, patterns you create, songs you arrange.

Load a clear snapshot and start on pattern A01, assemble your kit using any available machines/samples you imported.

You can have multiple patterns with multiple kits.

Assemble these into songs by patterns/bars/then repeat or stop at the end.

Save the song and your done.

Ive been trying to just create drums on my A4 and get familiar with my OT, so maybe I am remembering incorrectly.
Hope this helps!

I’ll just insist on the fact that snapshot and samplebanks are somehow independent to each other. But every snapshot is LINKED to a samplebank.

This is true and can get confusing.